• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having surgery at Sunderland Royal Hospital

goofy07

Oohs Michelle you mentioned the f word apparently it's not allowed in here

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Lisa-Em

Hello all,

I'm with SRH too. If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:
I've had my gastro camera about 3 weeks ago. I forgot to ring my doctors for the biopsy results and the receptionist said I'd need to arrange a telephone appt with a doctor to have the results delivered...is this normal or does it indicate a problem?
The other thing is when I had the camera down I asked for a sleeve. Mr Small said there were no problems so that's fine and told me "if I say you'll wait 5 months it'll be less than that", is it worth me chasing the hospital yet? As others have said it's the fact I have events coming up (not to mention OFSTED being due around September) so I want to be organised!
Thank you

borogirl

Hello all,

I'm with SRH too. If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:
I've had my gastro camera about 3 weeks ago. I forgot to ring my doctors for the biopsy results and the receptionist said I'd need to arrange a telephone appt with a doctor to have the results delivered...is this normal or does it indicate a problem?
The other thing is when I had the camera down I asked for a sleeve. Mr Small said there were no problems so that's fine and told me "if I say you'll wait 5 months it'll be less than that", is it worth me chasing the hospital yet? As others have said it's the fact I have events coming up (not to mention OFSTED being due around September) so I want to be organised!
Thank you

Hi I wanted a sleeve but the results showed a hernia and acid damage so I ended up with a bypass on 22nd Feb 13. I waited exactly 6 months from gastroscopy to op, and I wouldn't expect it any sooner. I started chasing the secretaries at 4.5 -5 months wait. Just want to set your expectations as the lists for surgery were being organised weekly so I would not expect months and months notice! Sorry but wanted you to know. This bit does go fast and its hard not to put on weight but they are really strict that you cannot put weight on from this appointment till your op x

Heah

Hi Lisa-Em,
No one mentioned my GP and results of biopsy, I somehow knew that they were looking to see if your stomach carried a bug in that would need treatment prior to surgery and so from that I took the stance of no news is good news... the other side to that is if it is a positive result you are given medication to clear it up.

As for how long I waited is a whole different topic on its own.... what I would say is as a rule of thumb most people are waiting 6 months.. expect that and if its any sooner then its a bonus.. I agree with Borogirl that this period of time goes very quickly and I would make sure your fit for surgery and keeping the weight off.. now is not the time to relax your efforts.

From personal experience no amount of hounding them seems to make any difference so again I would say when you hit the 4.5 - 5 month stage start calling them and see where you are on the list... Be aware that this is a turbulent time and when they try and fob you off, its quite devastating..... your thinking do these people not realise this is taking over my life.. all I can say to you is try and get it into perspective, the maximum you should wait from endo to surgery is 26 weeks... work out that date and then you have something in your mind to work towards..

Good luck on your journery, and feel free to ask anything, if I can answer I will and if not someone will come along and give their insight into WLS at SRH.

xx

Duchess2011

SRH

Hi everyone, I came across this forum quite by accident but im really pleased i did. Ive read through from page 1 and found it really interesting.
I went to the seminar Jan 4th 2013 then had my dietician appt in April 4th, this was combined with an appt where i as asked loads of questions by a second nurse, kind of like a psychology test ???.... At this appt he decided it would be best for me to have an appt with the sleep clinic because i wasnt sleeping properly, he suspected sleep apnoea and wanted it checked. The dietician didnt set me a weightloss target as i had already lost 9lb on my own so i was not to put any on... (ive since gone on to lose more)
A few weeks later i received an appt to go back to the General Surgery Out patients on 12/08/2013 but this was then cancelled and i was told a new appt would be sent out to me.. I never received it so called them up and was told i was in the system and my new appt was the 2nd December. The following week i received an appt to attend the sleep clinic which i did and had an over night test which showed mild sleep apnoea and no further treatment would be needed but weightloss surgery would be beneficial.. They've since brought my GSOP appt forward by a week... What am i to expect at this second appt please? and any subsequent appts. I cant find on any of the information i have who my surgeon is but the dietician did mention Mr Small.
I'm looking forward to receiving support on here, i know you dont know me yet but i feel like i know you all already.

Thank you

kristich

iam post opp at Sunderland was bypassed in June and while the surgery went well, was told would have a review 6-8 weeks later, not November and still waiting !!!!!!

borogirl

I had my bypass end of Feb and have only had 3 months appointment at 6 months out. They are very busy! I haven't had a 6 month check yet. But if I had a problem I would contact them. Luckily all is ok x

Tra_cey1969

Hi there, I've just joined this forum and not quite sure how things work, I'm on a waiting list at Sunderland, had camera about 6 weeks ago.. What happens next?

Hi...I'm a bit puzzled today.
I had my seminar in April 2013, saw the bariatric nurse and dietician in september 2013 and now today i had my long awaited appointment with the consultant who just told me keep up the good work and we'll send for you again. I had been so excited for this appointment as i thought i would at least get told when i'd be having my gastroscopy but nothing !!!
He couldn't tell me when i'd be sent for or any time scales at all.....is this normal ?
Pauline

chrisa

I AM you may think an old timer I am 2 yrs 4months post bypass my journey started in 2009, op in 2011 August. was a long haul but I got there xx hang on in there it is a buggar waiting but can't believe how quick really EVERYTHING HAS GONE XX

Tra_cey1969

Hi Pauline my appointment for the gastroscopy came about 5/6 weeks after my meeting with mr small the consultant, every day feels like a week when your waiting for appointments to come through, I had the camera down middle of October and I jump at the post every day hoping for my op date to come through.

Su2ie

Anyone know roughly how long between appointments?

Had my first appt with dietitian and nurse on 15th Nov and wondering when my next appt will be - basically so I know how long I've got to reach my weight loss target!!

Tra_cey1969

Su2ie about 8/10 weeks I think, I actually put a stone on before kicking myself into joining slimming world to get to the weight they'd asked me to be!!

Su2ie

Thanks. I don't know whether to be relieved or frustrated by how long it takes lol :)
I'm guessing Christmas might delay things - both with appointments and weight loss!

Tra_cey1969

Omg just had phone call from the hospital there's been a cancellation, op date for my bypass 4th January happy Christmas to me :)