• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Well hello

Banderbird

Hi,

I'm a 40-year-old female from Hampshire, and I'm on the verge of booking a gastric band op privately with THG.

I've had my consultation and I'd paid a deposit and booked the surgery for this month but then got severely cold feet and cancelled it all!

However, I had a long think about it, and came to the conclusion that it's still what I want and I'm going to go for it.

I'm female, 5'7 and the heaviest I've ever been at a size 16 and 15.3 stone. That may not seem big enough to resort to surgery, but after 25 years of misery and yo-yo dieting, I've had enough. I lost 3.5 stone five years ago with Weightwatchers and prescription slimming pills .. then put it all back on plus more.

I'm fit, love skiing and go spinning every week, but I've concluded diets don't work for me and never will.

I have some concerns about the op, and I've read some past bad reviews about THG, but nothing too bad recently.

It's also a lot of money to pay out which concerns me as well, as I'm not loaded!

My main worry is that although I've told my other half and he's supportive, I've not been able to tell my mum - silly as it sounds! My dad died a few years back and now she lives on her own she worries far too much about me and is very over-protective. I just can't deal with her freaking out that I'm doing this.

I'm thinking of just telling her afterwards but I'd rather not hide it.

Anyway, I've been lurking on these forums for some time, and it seems a great community with marvellous support, so I thought I should join.

I will update when it's all going ahead...

Hello BB!

I was banded via THG last week, and so far it's been an overwhelmingly positive experience. Because my BMI was over 50 my op couldn't happen at Dolan Park, so I went to Leeds Nuffield, but will have my aftercare and fills etc from their office in Liverpool.

Before I booked I saw some of the negative reviews, but I went for a lot of consultations with different companies and I liked THG.

Good luck! x

Hello and good luck, people don't always realise what a hard decision it is to make when we decide on the band, hope it all goes well for you x

welcome :)

You will find even here there are a varied mixture of experiences of THG but you must make the choice thats right for you. i went with a different provider as I didn't like THG plus I needed a zero % mortality rate from my provider and surgeon.

I had my band fitted almost a year ago and have lost 10 stone, it's not easy, takes a lot of har work, self control and choices, but its a wonderful tool to use! I nl wish I could have told my mum....

God luck to you :)

Welcome to the forum hun :) Good luck :)

I had my band fitted with THG just over 3 weeks ago, and so far so good.. I went with them because like u I'm am not all that big.. At the start I was 11.12 and 5.3.. Bmi of 29..
It was the best thing I have ever done, already I have lost 9lb and still had no fill.
THG appeared from my research to be the only provider that would do bmi 30 and no co morbidaties.. (I got it due to having been heavier)
I know this appears to be slightly unethical, but for me it was about getting it done, and like I said I can only speak positively about my experience to date.

I had by band on the 16th July with THG. I have lost 23 pounds so far. The experience for me was fantastic and I can't fault them. Good luck x

Well. I've now got my brother on side, he's a medic and is fully supportive. Just need to convince my mum now. He thinks she'll be OK about it.

I'm really quite excited, I can't wait to leave behind the hideous dieting cycle forever.

I had my band on the 10th of June 2013 and so far I have lost 3stones. I don't have so much restriction but it all comes down to a lot of personal and Lifestyle changes. I still got a long way to go but I am so happy with the way things are getting on.
I have had just one fills which is 4mls in my 10mls band, as I do not want to rush up my fills and start feeling discomfort or alot of tightness. I love going out with friends and I will not want them to know that I got the band.
I wish you all the best with your decision, I had my surgery with Surgicare ( same as THG) by Dr super and I did a lot of research about my provider and the surgeon. So all the best.

I had my band on the 10th of June 2013 and so far I have lost 3stones. I don't have so much restriction but it all comes down to a lot of personal and Lifestyle changes. I still got a long way to go but I am so happy with the way things are getting on.
I have had just one fills which is 4mls in my 10mls band, as I do not want to rush up my fills and start feeling discomfort or alot of tightness. I love going out with friends and I will not want them to know that I got the band.
I wish you all the best with your decision, I had my surgery with Surgicare ( same as THG) by Dr super and I did a lot of research about my provider and the surgeon. So all the best.

Slight update! I've now told my mum, and she's been really supportive, so that's great. I needn't have worried. I've told work I'll be off, and talked it through with my brother and his wife. Other then them, only my partner and our four closest friends know, and that's the way it will stay for as long as I can manage.

So now it's time to wait for the big day. I'm reading lots of topics on the forum, it's very helpful indeed.

Banderbird

Your post read like I has written it. I am being banded on Thursday. I have a bmi of 35, not very high but I cannot keep my weight down. My dad died prematurely 3 years ago and my mum lives on her own and I have decided not to tell her until the surgery is all done so that she doesn't worry. My husband is naturally lean and doesn't fully understand my decision but is supportive.

I think you have to think about what you want out of life long term. I see this as a way of being permanently slimmer and therefore healthier. I am sick of feeling down about my weight so I am going to make a permanent change. I think you have one life and you have to live it and not accept being unhappy. Will you regret it if you don't do it. I know I will.

X

Hi loveday. I agree, I'm sick of yo-yo diets and being miserable about being overweight.

I'm looking forward to making a permanent change for my healh.

I wish you all the best with your surgery, keep me updated with how it goes. Are you going to Dolan Park too?

I paid for my surgery today, so that's it, no going back now. I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm glad I am.

Don't worry about your mum, she will be happy for you. I was surprised by how well my mum took the news, she just told me not to tell her when I'm having the op!

I think sometimes it's not a bad thing to have cold feet. Helps us make sure we make the right decisions for ourselves.

I had my procedure with the hospital group two weeks ago and everything has went well. I have had an issue with one of my wounds, but they have been very supportive and have provided me with what I have needed (which is just what I would expect).

I am glad you have the support of the people you need it from and I sincerely hope it turns out to be a completely positive experience for you also :) Keep us updated!

Back