• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, fellow June 2013 sleevers

Hi Jozefina,

Glad to hear all went well at your check up, I still have a few more appointments as part of my "package". Have one to see the nutritionist (will probably wait until I'm in the "maintenance" stage before I use that one up), one for the councillor (don't know when I will use that yet) and I think at least 2 more with Marcus, according to his secretary my next one will be in 3 months or so.

My scars (the 2 larger ones) are still quite visible, I think because my body kept on trying to reject some of the internal stitches and I had to trim them back when they tried to get out. Doesn't seem to be anything left there now so are starting to heal up nicely.

Weight loss stopped this week in fact I put a tiny bit back on. Disappointing but I'm not overly bothered about it. I was quite ill last weekend, not sure if it was dumping (cant put my finger on what it could have been if it was) or a stomach bug so lost a lot of weight (probably got a bit dehydrated). I imagine my weight gain this week was primarily due to fluids going back in. Will see how things pan out by next week.

Saw my GP a couple of weeks ago and he's very happy with how I'm going. He reckons my target weight should easily be achieved and reckons I will lose more than that - we will see, my own target will be nice anything else will be a bonus. Had an arm of blood taken last Thursday for tests, GP wants to check Vitamin levels to see how they are and whilst he was at it decided to tick every other box on his screen to test for everything else - hence the whole armful of blood taken. Will get those results when I see him next in a couple of weeks.

So all in all everything at the moment is pretty good.

All the best.

AE.

That's interesting to hear what your "package" consists of, AE - I don't have anything like that. I feel quite envious now!

I have had zero contact from my private provider post surgery other than 1) a letter telling me to go and see Marcus on the designated date and 2) a get well card - sent on July 8th - saying "your new life starts today!". Which surprised me a bit, given it was 3 weeks after the surgery. I was told that the dietician would call me at the 6 week stage but that hasn't happened either. I've made myself a note to get new blood tests done with my GP in mid September, just to compare the results (and, specifically, my cholesterol levels) with the mid May variants but I won't be seeking them out otherwise, as I don't enjoy the same relationship that you do (alas).

Oh well - I shall just keep on keeping on and chugging my way down, 2-3 lbs a week at a time! I go on my Big Business Trip 6 weeks today and I'm hoping to be down a good bit more (maybe a stone?) by then in terms of packing and confidence!

Hi,

I don't know how you got put onto Marcus in the first place, mine wasn't for weight loss surgery but was referred to him by my GP (who's a friend of his) as a private patient to investigate a mysterious lump which was found during my cardiac MRI, but had gone by the time I saw Marcus - and neither could they find it on the subsequent ultrasound.

Anyway, whilst seeing Marcus for this he said I would have to see a bariatric councillor prior to any possible surgery. I made an appointment to see her (Julia) and paid for that consultation at the time, when I left she told me that if I wanted to go for surgery I should contact Marcus's Secretary and ask her for their "best package" for me. Code or not I don't know but I had the cost of my bariatric consultation deducted from the final bill and when I clarified with her what I got for my money that's when she said about the follow up visits, counselling session and dietician all of which could be taken in my own time. I subsequently found that he has a website Weight Loss Surgery, Gastric Band, Bypass | Mr Marcus Reddy and the cost on there tied in with what mine was.

My GP seems pretty switched on with regards to this surgery and says he has other patients who have had the same surgery. He mentioned about doing the blood tests last time I saw him, he wasn't bothered about me doing a fasting test as he wasn't to bothered about my cholesterol (even though I'm on statins as a result of the weird heart palpitations) but it was so easy just drinking water up until midday the other day when I had my blood tests done that I got the nurse to change it to a fasting one so that I can get an accurate cholesterol result as he may well take me off the statins if my levels are good.

Good luck with your big business trip I'm sure everything will be good and you'll have a great time. I decided to leave it until much later in the year before going away this year - last years embarrassment of having to get a seat belt extension was enough to knock the confidence a bit, even though it was a ridiculously short seat belt in the plane I don't want to have to ask again.

AE.

MR's website is pretty new, it was 'something else' earlier this year. I found it to be a really good one.

It all comes down to the cost, and that's the hospital part of it not surgeon part of it. Jozefina, I had a look at your hospital, I think it was cheaper and you don't have extra appointments included so your package I think was cheaper.

You pay more for going to Parkside (NOT WORTH THE EXTRA..... SHUDDERING AT THE MEMORIES) and a few hundred quid less to go to St Anthony's (a lovely tranquil place).

Either way we all got the best surgeon :D

When I saw Marcus prior to my surgery I knew that St Anthony's & Parkside would be my preferred options, each one is about equidistant from me, so that wasn't a factor. So I decided to go with my surgeons recommendation, so I asked him straight out - from a professional perspective what hospital would you prefer and he said Parkside so that's how I ended up there. My package price wasn't going to change because I had already been given a price but I was happy to go where he said.

I didn't have any pre-expectations as to what it was going to be like and I have been told I'm hard to please :rolleyes: (no additional comments required thank-you) but I am really happy with how my treatment went, but I can understand that everyone can have different experiences.

You're definitely right though - we all got the best surgeon regardless of where it was :)

AE.

I'm thinking now that my "package" (which was the same price as that quoted on M's website, albeit through another channel) wasn't really a "package" at all but was more a route to a surgeon, in this case, of course, the best. I didn't have pre-surgery counselling or any of the other stuff cited as part of his package and I guess it's a good thing that I didn't (we hope) need it. And I hope it's also a good thing that I'm not massively in need of post-surgical support either, as that's also not apparently going to be forthcoming!

Thanks for the good wishes re the trip - I travel a lot for work, always have, so am quite cool about it. And thankfully the seatbelts at the pointy end of the plane have always been more generous! ;)

I'm thinking now that my "package" (which was the same price as that quoted on M's website, albeit through another channel) wasn't really a "package" at all but was more a route to a surgeon, in this case, of course, the best. I didn't have pre-surgery counselling or any of the other stuff cited as part of his package and I guess it's a good thing that I didn't (we hope) need it. And I hope it's also a good thing that I'm not massively in need of post-surgical support either, as that's also not apparently going to be forthcoming!
I guess in the end by whatever means we all got what we wanted. I didn't feel the need to be counselled but I did find it good to speak to someone face to face who had had exactly the same operation that I was going to have, and by the same surgeon. It was a no holds barred conversation about everything that was going to happen and as it turns out she was exactly spot on and I had no nasty surprises. Don't know what my other session will be like if and when I go along.

Thanks for the good wishes re the trip - I travel a lot for work, always have, so am quite cool about it. And thankfully the seatbelts at the pointy end of the plane have always been more generous! ;)
I love travelling (flying) and wish there had been opportunities during my work for it. I agree with being at the pointy end they definitely seem longer. I never had a problem on any long haul flights, the one I had a problem with was on a clapped out old propeller plane for the 20 minute hop onto the island I was staying on. I think it will be much better this year though. Thanks to a certain surgeon!

AE.

Last edited:
Hi Sleevers

Well 9 weeks post op huh I'm doing okish Like you AE i have gained a few pounds and lets say feeling disappointed :( but I think its because I am eating normally now but obviously small amounts and healthy so think body is adjusting to it once it has then I am hoping fingers crossed that I loose more.

I saw my parents for the first time since March and had surgery in June, so when they saw me they were gobsmacked lol but said I am looking great, I also went to the family BBQ which wasnt too bad :) and lets say lots of people couldnt believe how much weight I had lost, one cousin said so why have you starved yaself? lol however the excuse I have is I also had a Hiatus Hernia which I said about so settled their thinkings lol

Im starting Zumba next week and Body Pump so hoping that will help

How quick has our time gone huh?

Kaz
xx

Hello, all

Well, you can see from my "you don't eat much, do you" thread elsewhere what fun I've been having! (LOL)

In other news, I'm now 40lbs down (pre and post surgery) as of this morning and feeling very well (usual caveat: still knackered, blah, blah), comfortably fitting into size 14/16 clothes (was 18/20 pre op). So am 40% of the way towards my target weight loss!

As I predicted, relatively few comments made on my appearance. I had a milestone moment at the weekend, when I saw my BFF for the first time since May 30th (ironically, the day of my pre-surgery screening at the hospital and day 1 of the pre-op diet). I would have thought, genuinely, in spite of my height that I surely DO look quite different given that I am now almost three stones lighter than when she last saw me, but no - not a word, comment or glance. So there we go: everyone who said that I'd need to tell people because they'd wonder what I'd "done" - not so, because they're not wondering at all, LOL.

Hope everyone else is going great guns too and enjoying being lighter over the summer!

xxx

Last edited:
Jozefina said:
As I predicted, relatively few comments made on my appearance. I had a milestone moment at the weekend, when I saw my BFF for the first time since May 30th (ironically, the day of my pre-surgery screening at the hospital and day 1 of the pre-op diet). I would have thought, genuinely, in spite of my height that I surely DO look quite different given that I am now almost three stones lighter than when she last saw me, but no - not a word, comment or glance. So there we go: everyone who said that I'd need to tell people because they'd wonder what I'd "done" - not so, because they're not wondering at all, LOL

I haven't a clue what a BFF is but whatever it is get rid of it because if it hasn't noticed that you've lost 40lbs then it needs a kick up the ****!!

I met a friend last week who I haven't seen in over a year and she couldn't believe the weight that I had lost since we last met and she was over the moon for me.

Anyway I went shopping today and popped into Evans to try on some jeans. I asked the lady what size she thought I'd need and she gave me a size 18 and a 20 straight legged pairs. I tried the 18 on but they were too small but happily (and I'm chuffed at this) the size 20 was too big!! I could get them off without undoing the button and fly so at the mo I've big smiles!!! :D

Hi all,

Last Saturday night I ventured back into my old work for a catchup with everyone. This was the first time I had seen them since my surgery so wasn't sure what the reaction would be or even if they would notice (90% of my old work colleagues were blokes).

Much to my amazement they noticed and a number of them remarked how well I looked and asked how I had done it (were they trying to get round me because they knew I had 2 boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts with me). They seemed genuinely interested and asked lots of questions.

I think most people realise that we've lost loads but sometimes are to frightened to ask in case the reason wasn't deliberate (tiptoeing round the C word here). Marcus said that's what many people think when they first see you if they don't know what you've had done.

So after a few hours of catching up and them wishing me all the best and checking to make sure I was coming back to see them soon (I must have been loved) I left, having drunk one cup of coffee and not having touched a single doughnut whilst they demolished 24 in front of me. Did I feel proud of myself - yup sure did :)

My weight loss has moved slightly after being static for a few weeks (total loss now 54lbs since start of pre-op diet), so hopefully I'm slowly moving away from my stall. I'm not bothered about how quick it all goes as long as it does.

Awhile ago I mentioned about the problems I had had on a small plane with regards to seatbelt fitting. Well today I finished booking some flights for my holiday at the end of the year and they are again on small little planes but I really don't think I'm going to have a problem this year. Sometimes the smallest of things make you feel so happy :)

All the best to our fellow June sleevers (and everyone who has embarked on this new journey).

AE.

Last edited:
Jozefina said:

I haven't a clue what a BFF is but whatever it is get rid of it because if it hasn't noticed that you've lost 40lbs then it needs a kick up the ****!!

I met a friend last week who I haven't seen in over a year and she couldn't believe the weight that I had lost since we last met and she was over the moon for me.

Anyway I went shopping today and popped into Evans to try on some jeans. I asked the lady what size she thought I'd need and she gave me a size 18 and a 20 straight legged pairs. I tried the 18 on but they were too small but happily (and I'm chuffed at this) the size 20 was too big!! I could get them off without undoing the button and fly so at the mo I've big smiles!!! :D

BFF = Best Female Friend, aka the one person you think WOULD notice! Ah well.

A (very senior) bloke at work today gave me an extremely up and down look but stopped himself saying something LOL - I think my fierce external persona :)sigh:) made him decide against it!

Lisa, clothes being too big is such a milestone feeling, isn't it? Love it when that happens! Well done :D

I hope that some of your friends/colleagues/family have noticed and commented on your weight loss Jozefina.

Thanks for decoding BFF for me lol. I'm so naïve when it comes to acronyms.

I hope that some of your friends/colleagues/family have noticed and commented on your weight loss Jozefina.

Thanks for decoding BFF for me lol. I'm so naïve when it comes to acronyms.

No comments as yet, Lisa! I tend only to see my mum every few months because of where we each live and I actually think the words "You've lost weight" would choke her :sigh:. So I saw her at Easter (when I was at my all time heaviest) and then again on July 20th, so 6 weeks post sleeve and no comments were made. Am due to see her again tomorrow and I'm now just over three stones down - who wants to bet she won't say anything?!

However - we were away on holiday last week and had a super time. It was only a short flight, from LHR to Ireland BUT the seatbelt was very comfortable and had loads of room to spare and my hips didn't even push the arm rest up like they used to, LOL. As it was Ireland, there was a fair amount of rain and mist and I needed my waterproof jacket (which easily zipped up) and my boots (ditto - they were even a bit baggy around my calves). I ate really well - tiny portions of Irish stew, bowls of fish soup, a couple of lovely starter salads with crab or smoked salmon, no booze (can't even remember when I last went on holiday and stuck to soft drinks ...) and came home 2lbs lighter.

My Big Business Trip (to Singapore and Australia) is at the end of this month and I'm feeling excited and so much happier to be lighter and healthier.

In other news, we have sold our house and found a new one and will (hopefully) be moving at the end of October. What. A. Year!!

How's everyone else doing?

xx

Hi,

I'm envious of your business trip - I hope you have a really good time. I've had the pleasure of going to Ireland a couple of times and love it (even the weather). I'm off on holiday the day after Boxing Day and can't wait although deciding what size clothes to buy is a bit of a nightmare as they keep changing (in a good way) so it looks like I will be trying to buy clothes for hot weather in the middle of the winter here :cool:

Weight is going down - but very slowly - still it's heading in the right direction. My brother saw me for the first time in a few weeks the other day and greeted me by saying "blimey - you're wasting away" he's never said anything so nice to me before. :D

Blood test results from the doctors were all good - no problems with vitamin levels or anything else - except my cholesterol which is now too low - I can't win :( so now he's decided I should only take one of my statins every other day to see how that works out.

So that's me 12 weeks to the day after surgery - down 57lbs in total since the start of my pre-op diet - happy days. Next target for me will be to only be "Moderately Obese" which should happen next week. I've already seen off "Morbidly" and am just hanging on to "Severely" I never thought I'd be so happy to be Moderately Obese :rolleyes: I plan on settling on "Overweight" :8855:

Hope everyone else is doing good.

AE.

Back