• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello from St Helens

Halucin8

Hello everyone and congratulations on all the success stories :)

I'm a mom of 7 beautiful kids who i adore and who i feel i am letting down and that i am missing out of the most precious years of their lives, I went to my GPto see if he could help me lose some weight and get my life back.

I was put on Xenical by my GP but ended up losing some weight but with terrible stomach cramps, my GP mentioned that i may be a candidate for a gastric band and he explained the process WMT etc, i waited 6 months for a appointment with the WMT (St helens and knowsley PCT) had an appointment yesterday, Really disheartened as i have tried everything and always end up bigger than before i tried. my bmi is 50.2 :(

i spoke with the dietician and then with the lifestyle advisor and felt like he didnt understand how restricted my other medical conditions made my mobility. He was talking about taking brisk walks and swimming, i just felt my heart sink i cant do that i have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. psoariasis is all over my legs back and front and makes walking not only difficult but really painful, I would love to go swimming i havent been swimming for years cos the stuff they use in the pools makes my skin feel like its on fire, I know my weight isn't helping with either of these conditions and I know i did this to myself.

Don't get me wrong I try but then end up in bed for 3 days in agony and feel i have failed myself and my family and its a vicious circle. The dietician also told me the programme will last 2 years think I will be dead by then.

I would like to congratulate all you losers, it takes alot of courage doing what you have done

is 2 years with a WMT normal ?

Last edited:
Hi, and a wave from over the water :)

I did 1 year weight managment, but should have only done 6 months. I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritus too along with other joint/pain conditions. It took a lot of explaining to get the weight management people to realise that I couldn't exercise, even the chair classes they were offering me. If I were you though I would contact someone higher up in the service and explain that you are concerned that you are being 'managed' by someone who does not understand your medical needs as they are offering poor advice which could compromise your health (telling someone with arthritus of any form to take brisk walks is ridiculous).

As your BMI is over 50, I would go back to your GP and tell them that you are aware that NICE guidelines say that when BMI is over 50, weight loss surgery should be offered as a first line option and could he check with the PCT regarding the need for 2 years weight management in your circumstances.

Hope that helps,

Shel

hi and welcome
my pct critira is a 12 month weight management clinic program i am with coventry and warwick pct , i have seen the dietian, psycologist,,every couple of months and endocologist about my dieabetes i will be having my bypass at the manor hospital walsall in sept 09,all the best with your weight loss journey you have taken the first step good luck
regards rambo

Oh thank you so much for replying i have been worrying myself sick. yes psoariais is an awful condition over the last 3 years it has spread everywhere extensively on my legs especially and the only way i can describe it is, its like having skin grafts on my legs that are too tight.

Im under a dermo she wants me on ciclosporin or methatrexate but cant due to my weight i cant use the steroid cream for long periods due to rebound and they dont like me to use the UVB beds more than once every 18 months as there is alot of skin cancer in my family. I will go back to my GP.

Can't thank you enough, so glad i found this place. and you guys look amazing !! :)

just to say hi ...keep on at your gp for a referal , it takes a long time but it will happen good luck xx

I've done cyclosporin and methotrexate over the years. The cyclo has been the only thing that ever really worked for me, but the second time I was on it it made me very ill. These days I don't use anything, have given up trying to shift it.

good luck with your visit to the GP. shels advice is sound and your gp sounds supportive hope everything works out.

Back