• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

help..... bad eating habits creeping in :$

barbara18

well im goig to start by being very very honest..... i had surgery on march the 20th this year and to date including pre-op i have lost 6st 5lbs, to which i am very happy, but recently i seem to be trying things that i havent eaten in a long time before surgery, like chocolate, crisps, and other non gastric bypass foods, all in very small quantaties but im scared of this so called freedom my tummy is giving me, ive experienced dumping one with chocolate but not with any thing else, i know im doing wrong but i just cant seem to tell my self that before ive eaten the 'bad' foods. believe me im trying so hard and find the guilt comes after the pleasure of eating the food. i have now resorted to my friend doing my weekly shop so i dont buy the foods, i had tellings off from my mum and friends and i know they are right, i dont expect people to pat me on the back and say well done when im doing this to my self, i just dont know what to do i find yes the weight has come off but no one seems to speak about the physcological effects it has on you, and that after all this time it is still a daily battle with food :(, any constructive advice or critasisim (no good with spelling lol)will be taken wholey on board, thank you for looking xx

I'm only 13 weeks out but can see how temptation can set in, especially as for me 'good' foods are proving very difficult to digest. However, to completely deny yourself treat foods forever is unrealistic. Life's for living-and if that includes enjoying the occasional crisp or chocolate, thats fine. The key of course is occasional, and that they are treats. Now this is very easy for me to say so early out, but I am doing my best to change my mindset now , ready for the 'pouch freedom' ahead. So my advice to you is, have the choccie or few crisps now and then-but think about it. Decide what you're NOT going to have so you can have that treat. Because you can't have both.
But you haven't come this far and achieved so much without knowing that already.
xx

Aw sweets, don't beat yourself up, you are only human after all. I was told that you could eat anything once you were approx 4 months post op as long as you don't exceed your calorie limit. It is unrealistic to think you can go the rest of your life without ANY treats. Are you still losing? You are so near your target it would be a shame to fall at this stage. Just reset your mindset & remember what it was like in the beginning. Hope you can sort your thinking out to be able to continue your healthy new life but to also include a few treats when needed. xxx :):)

Make your 'treats'good ones!Buy sugarfree sweets or chocolate and give yourself a little every now and then.Mini milk lollies for a frozen treat,baked crisps,low fat cheese and ryvita,luxury fruits,the odd glass of wine.Make your own scones and have one with fruit conserve and a little squirty cream,nuts are my favorite snack now.If we are too strict with our diet we always end up binging on full fat/sugar stuff.So be prepared and only buy in treats that wont 'break the bank'!Maz x

thank you all so so much, it is only occasional thankfully, i was just worried that it was going to become a habbit, to which i deffinatly didnt want it to, i have taken all the advice on board, to which is great advice thanks guys xxx

I'm only 2 and a half weeks post op, but seriously, I CAN see how the temptation is going to set in. When my husband gets himself something to eat, I sometimes feel a little envious!! Have even been tempted to try a fork full, but have so far resisted!
So, all I can do, Barbara, when I'm more able to eat a big variety of stuff, is follow the advice that these very wise ladies have given you xxx

temptation set in with me about 4 months postop.. I gave in a little with no major consequences. However over the summer - about 8months post op, I just went back to eating crisps and chocolate - and put weight on - the wakeup call I needed. I have learnt the hard way that this op is not the magic elixir - weight will not just keep dropping off. We need to eat & exercise to lose all we need to lose.

Ill be honest im nearly 5 months post op the way i deal with things is i see the foods that put me here in the 1st place as a deadly enemy surgery for me has totaly changed my outlook on food to the point where i would rather go without than eat something that isnt good for me maybe that sounds a bit extreme but i hated the old me and theres nothing on earth thats ever gonna make me go back there the only thing i do let myself have 3 times a week is a bag of salt n vinegar mcoys thats it im so strict on myself because of the thought of who i was to who i am now i know we are all different but thats just how i am with myself ive lost just over 7.5st so far so in my eyes it works for me. Good luck hope this is just a wobble for ya

I'm a bit close to tears atm as this is exactly how I'm feeling after a really bad weekend (had people to stay over and it was really stressful - therefore I ended up eating bad foods). Not only did I eat bad foods but I ate way more than I thought I'd be able to. Been really kicking myself about it and has been eating away at me, but reading all the supporting and helpful comments on this post I feel so much better and more able to just accept that things go wrong somethimes and try to learn from my mistakes.

Thanks people :)

Hi Mio, flower you had a bad weekend. Look at your weight loss to date. Dont beat yourself up about it we are only human. You recognise you overdid it but you have got yourself back into check so put it behind you. You have done brilliantly so far and are an inspiration to me and others who are new to this journey Im only 5 weeks post op. Take care. xx

Back