• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help, bad pain!

bikerlady

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this site, so sorry if i come across a bit wooden! I had a gastric band op 4 days ago, and I have suffered crippling pain in my chest and between my shoulder blades since. I have tried all sorts of things, windeze, gripe water, hot water, peppermint tea, hot water bottles around the pain area and walking, so I'm really at my whits end now and verrrrrrrrrrrry tired. If anyone out there can help, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks everyone :sigh:

Ah sorry you are suffering. I cant help but someone will be along soon who can. I hope it eases off soon x

It does sound like trapped wind so keep moving and taking the windeze (aithough I found this made it worse).
If nothing is easing it you should contact your provider. If the chest pains get any worse then you need to seek medical attention immediately.

Thanks Terri, I have spoken to the hospital where I had the surgery, they are fairly sure its wind, but like i said, iv'e tried everything that's been recommended, just feeling pretty tired and drained by it all. My first night after the op was pretty awful and I didn't get the chance to get up and walk about as quickly as Id have liked. I just wonder if that could possibly be the reason for how i'm feeling now?

Poor you, sounds like you are suffering, can't really tell you anything you don't already know, but congrats on your new band. It will get better, honest. I felt pretty crap for a few days after mine, you will soon be back to normal xxxxx

Aw hun - sorry you`re in so much discomfort, sounds to me like you have tried everything. I know sometimes when having surgery the anaesthetic can affect people more unkindly than others. Plus all the swelling and bruising internally as well as externally can put a lot of pressure on your body, so the combination can leave you feeling pretty bruised and battered.

If painkillers and walking around arn`t getting rid of the wind, which can be another big problem, then perhaps you may have to call on your surgical team for help and advice.

Anyhoo - apart from all of that I do want to wish you a very warm :welcome2:to the forum.

There are lots of lovely friendly folk on here and you will get lots of help and advice.....

Hope you`ll be better very soon hun x

Love and :hug99: Kat x

Hi sweetie xxx Firstly I am so sorry you're feeling so horrible. The wind pain is terrible and was the worst bit for me actually.
The pain in your chest could be because your port site (where they sometimes stitch the port to the chest muscles) is very tender.
Keep up your pain meds as well as the wind relief and stay in touch with your team and us.
I hope we hear more from you and that the pain is better daily for you xxxx

Hi Miss Hungry, thanks very much. I really hope it does get better soon, Im turning into a bit of a wimp here lol Congratulations on your weight loss so far, your doing great. Did you have similar problems? The hospital said im not eating enough calories but to be honest, when your in so much pain, you really don't feel like eating.

Awh thanks both Kat and Neen, just talking to you all is making me feel better, probably because I'm not feeling so alone with it now, Im really grateful to you all for that. I know it will be rough for a while, I guess I will just have to ride the wave! lol Supposed to be at work in the morning, I havent told them about the op and had to ring in for a day off today, I just hope I can get through the day without any problems. :)

Welcome bikerlady!
Sorry to hear about your trapped wind but it will pass eventually (I suffer still 5 weeks post op) it becomes more tolerable and less frequent with time! Jo xx

I sincerely hope that it eases up for you soon. Cant you get a sick note for a week so that you are not in agony and exhausted in your workplace.
Lynne x

Awh thanks both Kat and Neen, just talking to you all is making me feel better, probably because I'm not feeling so alone with it now, Im really grateful to you all for that. I know it will be rough for a while, I guess I will just have to ride the wave! lol Supposed to be at work in the morning, I havent told them about the op and had to ring in for a day off today, I just hope I can get through the day without any problems. :)

I know you said you were supposed to be at work in the morning - but I really think you will need to book at least another week off to recover hun x

I only say this as you may feel quite weak for a while and not up to driving or travelling as well as the stress of work and any activities that entails.

Please take good care of yourself hun x :)

Love Kat x

Thanks Jo, sorry to hear your still suffering from the wind, I wouldnt wish it on anybody. Its been a roller coaster of emotions these last few days, I just keep telling myself that it will all be worth it in the end :) How are you doing hun?

I think your right hun, the patient coordinator told me 4 or 5 days would have been enough time to be off work, the op was supposed to be last wed but it was cancelled until thurs. then my wound bled badly all night after the op and i didnt get any sleep, so bit of a rough start. I travel on the train to work and I have a job where I can sit at my desk or move about as I need to. I may go in and see how Im feeling, I can always come home and then take a few more days. I kinda dropped this on my boss (although he has no idea what ive had done) but I got a cancellation and I didnt give them much notice at work.

bikerlady said:
Thanks Jo, sorry to hear your still suffering from the wind, I wouldnt wish it on anybody. Its been a roller coaster of emotions these last few days, I just keep telling myself that it will all be worth it in the end :) How are you doing hun?

Its a huge learning curve! I'm loving my band but it really is the boss, looking forward to the coming months - the new us is around the corner! ;) xx

I think your right hun, the patient coordinator told me 4 or 5 days would have been enough time to be off work, the op was supposed to be last wed but it was cancelled until thurs. then my wound bled badly all night after the op and i didnt get any sleep, so bit of a rough start. I travel on the train to work and I have a job where I can sit at my desk or move about as I need to. I may go in and see how Im feeling, I can always come home and then take a few more days. I kinda dropped this on my boss (although he has no idea what ive had done) but I got a cancellation and I didnt give them much notice at work.

Please remember to take it easy at work. x

Back