• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help!!! Please xxx

laurajlucy

Right, as am sure is the same for all, i want to do the best i possibly can before meeting Mr. Small in Oct.
I have to date hit my weightloss target and wanted to give up smoking too.
I do want this to be a complete new start but in the same respect it has hindered my weightloss :mad:
Soooo... do you think it is of a huge importance to the surgeon if i smoke at the time of surgery???
Do/did any of you smoke?
I WILL quit but at this moment i really do not want to let in get in the way of my target and therefore my chance of even being accepted!! :break_diet:
xxxxxxx

Thats a good question I don't smoke but they did say you would need to quit if u did.

I'm sure if you cut back untill your next appointment and you have your weight loss they will see commitment.

Jo :)

oooo your on the same stage as meeee!! ive to mey my wlt it was 4 kgs what was yours?... and i to go back in oct!! eeek exciting hey, im hoping he ll put me on the surgery list when i go there he should do xx

some surgeons want you to have quit at least 3 months before any surgery. In my opinion (non expert) I would say that its more important to stop smoking than to hit your weight target. Phone them and ask them?
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I think they are pretty serious about not smoking, I know in the past they have been with me. It makes healing and anaesthesia more difficult. I gave up 3 yrs ago so its not been an issue this time for me. Its not easy by any means but it is soooooooooo worth it. I smoked 80 a day....no thats not a typo lol, if I can do it you can too :D x

Not a smoker so cannot advise you from that point of view, and what is expected from you from a surgeon point of view will probably greatly depend on the surgeon...I'm sure others from your area will be along to advise soon. What I can say, is without intending to be a 'smoker basher', is that obviously aside fron the greatly increased health risks of smoking (cancer, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, circulatory problems & hypertension to name a few....), smoking also creates a chronic inflammatory state within the body, so stopping as soon as you can before the op reduces your risk of these smoking-related diseases, but also literally helps you heal more quickly from the op. Also, think about all the clothes you can buy for your newly svelte figure from what you aren't spending on cigs! xxx

i had my bypass at sunderland and i only gave up smoking 3 weeks before my op as i knew if id give up earlier i would have piled the weight on. a friend of mine under sunderland packed in at christmas and has put a stone on and at her appointment last week they have put her back another 3 months because of it.

i had my bypass at sunderland and i only gave up smoking 3 weeks before my op as i knew if id give up earlier i would have piled the weight on. a friend of mine under sunderland packed in at christmas and has put a stone on and at her appointment last week they have put her back another 3 months because of it.

Ouch!! Exactly my point. Im going to see my GP tomorrow, who is fantastic, and i will get the tablets off him as the patches make me feel really fluey. Don't need to feel any worse than i do at the moment. Feeling like crap!! xxx
Thanks to all that have replied. Can't wait to attend a support group. But need the support nearer home to even do that!! xxx

The next one is this Thurs? When is the one after? I start back at Uni late Sept and could say my day has gone long to attend xxx

Are you going on Champix?? Thats what I quit on, I found them brilliant. Some people have side effects but I hardly had anything :D Good Luck x

Not sure what they are called hun but will let u know tomoz xxx

im a smoker, i smoked one the morning of the op was so nervous only had a few drags tho, sorry to diet and give up smoking that too hard but just cut down ,my doctor said it was ok cause i told him i had a fag before op and all he said was it just slows down the recovery so if you can stop or cut down ,but i tell you now ive cut down loads due to not being able to smoke after op ok its early days but now i can go a few hours without a fag now rather than 20 mins ,so dont be too hard on yourself this is a big thing your doing and if you tr to do both your get so stressed out so i say dont stop just cut down ...good luck xx

Back