• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help!!!

Louise1

I was wondering if any of you knew of anyone who has been on the operating table and then closed back up as their liver hadn't shrunken enough??
I'm getting increasingly paranoid. I'm into my second week of pre-op diet. I'm on the low fat, low sugar, low everything diet lol. This isn't much of a variation on my usual diet..
Anyway I haven't lost a single ounce. I realise this diet is about shrinking the liver & not weight loss but I'm really concerned that if my weight isn't moving at all then neither is my liver...
Any/all advice greatly appreciated. My op is on Wednesday and I'm really worried..
xx

Hun you have nothing to worry about... i think the surgeons put the wind up you to make sure your dedicated... as you say the pre op diet is to shrink your liver not your body.. so dont worry... you have kept to the diet so your doing everything right xx

Raynebubble is right. The pre-op isn't about losing weight, it is all about shrinking the liver. If you have followed the diet, then you'll be fine.

I hardly lost any weight during pre op.........its about shrinkin the liver not weightloss, it will be fine xx

I didn't lose a single ounce on the pre-op diet and only did it for 1 week rather than the minimum two due to the short notice given for my surgery date! No problems with my op though so don't worry :) As long as you've stuck to their guidelines you'll be fine.

H xx

This did happen to a lady who was in the next bed to me on the day of my surgery. Having said that though, we weren't given a pre-op diet, so there was no liver shrinking plan for us.
I'm sure that as long as you've done what you've been told to, you should be fine.
xXx

I remember being totally paranoid about this happening to me too. But I stuck to the diet and was fine. At the first support group post op, (my surgeon always attends, bless him) I asked him if my liver had been ok, and he said yes fine, and his nurse burst out laughing right in front of him and said to me "do you really think he can remember your liver with all the livers he sees?" He had the good grace to look a bit embarrassed and say "well I have photos of all the livers, I can look if you like.."

So basically it's not such a big deal, but don't take it as a carte blanche to cheat on the pre op!!

I'm being really good on the pre-op I think that's why I'm frustrated lol.
Looking at my diet sheet I don't think I'm eating enough and I might have gone into starvation mode. I'm going to increase my intake a little bit today inline with the diet & see how I go.
Thank you all for your help!!
xx

I'll be on a straight liquid diet for two weeks. I'll just be excited to be that close to surgery. I don't have a date yet, but it's very close!

lou dont panic...easier sed than done i no that but the woman opp me hadnt lost any weight but her liver was fine and thts with same surgeon as u have so honestly you will be fine :) xxx

I know someone it happened to but she hadn't stuck to the diet so her liver hadn't shrunk. The last thing the surgeon wants is to close you back up without operating as its a waste of time and money but if the liver doesn't shrink they can't move around enough to operate safely so they wouldn't be able to carry on.

On the up side she's the only one I've heard of so if you stick to the diet I don't think you'd have a problem as its not about losing weight - stick with it hun and you'll be fine x

Shrinking the liver makes it easier for the surgeon to do the op. It isn't the end of the world just preferable. Good luck with your op, I'm sure you'll be fine.

start drinking bucket loads of water aswel flush it all out :) xx

u will be fine I think we all get paranoid cause theres no way of knowing if its working untill u wake up and see everythings gone well xx

I agree with Louise. It's weird thinking that you could go under and wake up and only then will you know if the op actually took place. No wonder we all get paranoid.

I am really pleased the scales are moving for you now Lou. I know its about shrinkage, but we all like to see the scales budge even a little lol

When my surgeon consented me for my op he said that, if he got inside and found my liver hadn't shrunk enough, he would fit a balloon as a half way measure.

When I saw him the day after the op he said my liver had been fine

I think we all worry about our liver not shrinking enough!!

Tatiana

Back