• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi from a Cornish newbie

I'm a newbie from Cornwall, and have my 1st appt at Treliske next week wth Mr Creely (I think - the letter is downstairs!). Glad to know I'm not alone down here. Can anyone prepare me for the appointment next week. How long will it be, what will it entail, etc? And roughly how long is it from 1st appointment to getting surgery if accepted?

Thanks in advance. (I already posted a newbie thread but then found this one!)

Hi CEB :) welcome to a fab friendly site hunni and to a great bunch of Cornwall gals .... first appointment is with the consultant Mr Creely.... he is blooming lovely and will talk thru your eating habits, any problems in your background (which may have contributed to your weight) general stuff really to see 'if' you would make an ideal candidate..... be completely honest with him about everything..... I remember he was the initial one who made the judgment over which if the surgery's would suit me best.....of course plenty of time down the line too BUT being honest helps :) back in my day the whole process took almost 3 years, but I understand its a lot quicker now.... follow everything they tell you.... do what ever they ask of you and enjoy the process lol its a huge learning curve but honestly for the better..... well done on this first step to the new you :) welcome again hun............. we meet fairly regular for coffee and chats more than welcome to come meet the gang x x x x x watch the cornwall coffee thread for next date.......am pretty sure were due one soon :) :) girls?????

Hi CEB :) welcome to a fab friendly site hunni and to a great bunch of Cornwall gals .... first appointment is with the consultant Mr Creely.... he is blooming lovely and will talk thru your eating habits, any problems in your background (which may have contributed to your weight) general stuff really to see 'if' you would make an ideal candidate..... be completely honest with him about everything..... I remember he was the initial one who made the judgment over which if the surgery's would suit me best.....of course plenty of time down the line too BUT being honest helps :) back in my day the whole process took almost 3 years, but I understand its a lot quicker now.... follow everything they tell you.... do what ever they ask of you and enjoy the process lol its a huge learning curve but honestly for the better..... well done on this first step to the new you :) welcome again hun............. we meet fairly regular for coffee and chats more than welcome to come meet the gang x x x x x watch the cornwall coffee thread for next date.......am pretty sure were due one soon :) :) girls?????

Thanks hun. I'm glad he is "blooming lovely"! It's always good to know who you are going to be dealing with. Wow, 3 years!!! Yikes! And I just thought 18 months was bad! LOL! Coffee would be great. Did someone say you have to have made 20 posts to access the thread about coffee? If I reply with one word per reply to a post on this thread will that count, lol!? xx

Hope you don't mind but I have added you Cornish folk as friends.

Hi CEB

I'm in Redruth so if you want to meet for a drink let me know! I start group sessions soon

Steph

Where do they do the group sessions? How often? And at what point after the initial appointment do they do them?
Sorry for all the questions!:rolleyes:

Hi there I had gastric by pass done at Treliske October last year and now lost 5 stone and feel great it's the best thing I ever did I live in Redruth if you want to meet up for a chat

Last edited:
Hi there I had gastric by pass done at Treliske October last year and now lost 5 stone and feel great it's the best thing I ever did I live in Redruth if you want to meet up for a chat

Do you attend the coffee meets with the others on here? It would be good to all meet up. Well done on your loss. How long did you have to waot for your surgery?

Just keep posting hunni ...your soon have 20 under your belt LOL We really do need to meet up soon :) am gagging for a coffee LOL and a good old gossip too lol

Just keep posting hunni ...your soon have 20 under your belt LOL We really do need to meet up soon :) am gagging for a coffee LOL and a good old gossip too lol

I think this has got me to 20 now!! LOL! :D

Ok, so where am I supposed to be looking for the coffee thread? I'm having a brain failure moment!

Is it in meetings and support groups? Because it says it's private and I can't access it? Maybe I need 50 posts??

Do you attend the coffee meets with the others on here? It would be good to all meet up. Well done on your loss. How long did you have to waot for your surgery?

Yes I go to the coffee group we usually meet at Costa opposite the hospital
I waited about a year an a half for my surgery going through the various programs, you have to sign up to a healthy weight program which is a bit like weight watchers with a bit of exercise as well
Then you do the sessions with the dietician at the hospital again about healthy eating she also does a session about the surgery these are usually groups of about 6-8 people
You then have 1-1 appointments with the dietician then when she and the medical consultant are happy that you are appropriate for surgery they will apply for your funding you will also have a group session with Jeremy the bariatric nurse who goes through the surgical options pre op diet and after care. After all this if you get the funding you receive an appointment for your multidisciplinary meeting with dietician, anesthetist And the surgical team they make the final decision if you get your surgery and if they think there are any emotional health issues you may have an appointment with a counsellor. You then will get your surgery date usually 6 weeks before surgery. 2 weeks before your op you need to start the pre op liver shrinking diet which is hard either only milk or only low fat yogurt but the dietician will tell you all about this. Good luck on your journey hope to meet you at one of our coffee meets

Yes I go to the coffee group we usually meet at Costa opposite the hospital
I waited about a year an a half for my surgery going through the various programs, you have to sign up to a healthy weight program which is a bit like weight watchers with a bit of exercise as well
Then you do the sessions with the dietician at the hospital again about healthy eating she also does a session about the surgery these are usually groups of about 6-8 people
You then have 1-1 appointments with the dietician then when she and the medical consultant are happy that you are appropriate for surgery they will apply for your funding you will also have a group session with Jeremy the bariatric nurse who goes through the surgical options pre op diet and after care. After all this if you get the funding you receive an appointment for your multidisciplinary meeting with dietician, anesthetist And the surgical team they make the final decision if you get your surgery and if they think there are any emotional health issues you may have an appointment with a counsellor. You then will get your surgery date usually 6 weeks before surgery. 2 weeks before your op you need to start the pre op liver shrinking diet which is hard either only milk or only low fat yogurt but the dietician will tell you all about this. Good luck on your journey hope to meet you at one of our coffee meets

Thanks for all that info, that's great! Wow, whoever thinks this is an easy way out doesn't know the half of it eh?! Looking forward to the next coffee meet and meeting you all.

I saw Dr Creely today, I will see the dietitian, do swimming exercise with Chris at Truro school pool on Tues afternoons, see a psychologist, and see Mr Coutts to check for sleep apnoea! And had bloods to check for quite a few things. Next appointment with him is in 7 months! Wish I had money and could go private!
Does anyone else here do the swimming on a Tues at Truro school with Chris?

Back