• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi I'm new

minnieme62

Hi I'm new to this site and very shy I'm at the very start of my journey I have just had my referral from GP I have a group seminar in march and would like to know what I should expect thanks

Hi Sjwood . Hi and welcome to a fab site . Don't be shy we are all here to help! Im NHS and around 8wks post op bypass. When i was sent a letter to attend a group seminar with dietitian i was fortunate to be the only one along side my partner and two dieticians she explained that it was usually a group setting . Although i had attended other group weight management with other people ! Its good to meet others so you can see what there fears may be and they may ask questions you was afraid to ask its also beneficial to meet like minded people whom are going through same procedures etc .
At the seminar you will meet other people who have been accepted to have bariatric surgery and whether you want to continue and pros cons of surgery and each surgery type and what type of surgery you will be offered if you have a choice( not all people have a choice due to different reasons) they will talk through each surgery procedures risks benefits ets may show you over head diagrams or objects to show how things may work and what you will need to do in order to prepare you pre op surgery and what you need to do post op! They will then give you a manual or paper work with of all they have discussed including the pre op or liver shrinking diet and the importance of following such and ask everyone if they want to ask questions to further your understanding.
Its a very big operation and they want you to make the right decision before going ahead . Hope this helps hun any other questions i can help with just let me know. Ps where are you having your op?? X

Hi sharona thank you for your reply my seminar appointment is for Sunderland hospital. I was giving this appointment there and then while I was at the GPs surgery only had to wait 20 minutes for secretary to book me in.
Could you tell me what things they use to decide on what surgery is best or can you make this decision yourself thank you.

Hello newbie, like sharona said we are a very friendly group and feel free to ask away! The group meeting is nothing to worry about its information sharing and then a q&a session after mine again was similar to sharona's as well
good luck

Hi sharona thank you for your reply my seminar appointment is for Sunderland hospital. I was giving this appointment there and then while I was at the GPs surgery only had to wait 20 minutes for secretary to book me in. Could you tell me what things they use to decide on what surgery is best or can you make this decision yourself thank you.
Hi hun glad you replied. With me i was given three choices because of my health issues bmi etc i was offered either gastric bypass, sleeve or banding! Due to the MDT meeting and i suppose funding allocated at time they where quite strict not sure what the guidelines are now as things have changed once again and they seem to be putting people through quite quickly for wls. However i had a bmi if 48.7 at time had serious health probs such as sleep apnoea, high blood pressure, pre diabetes top end, thyroid issues, blood disorder , depression, polycystic syndrome . I had to at least had high bp , diabetes and sleep apnoea to qualify as apparently I'm costing the nhs an amount with meds!! After showing me and discussing things at the seminar i had to choose which one i wanted . I had already did my own research on each success rates etc and opted for gastric bypass which was the most difficult one to perform. My reasons for this was because i found that people are likely to lose weight more quickly and a bigger percentage although there are people on her that have had the other two procedures and list loads of weight! I opted not to have banding due to acid reflux over years! The surgeon will also likely not do bypass even if you have opted for it due to not being able to get to the stomach due to large liver not following liver shrinking diet too dangerous! The bowel wasn't long enough to rejoin , too many adhesions from previous abdominal surgery etc. I also ate a lot of sugary things so gastric bypass creates " dumping syndrome" which stops this. The other two procedures don't usually create this unpleasant feeling. I have met three people who have opted for the same as me but woke up with another procedure being done but the surgeon will explain this to you when you see him! Hope this helped let me know how you get on.

Hi sharona thank you for your reply my seminar appointment is for Sunderland hospital. I was giving this appointment there and then while I was at the GPs surgery only had to wait 20 minutes for secretary to book me in.
Could you tell me what things they use to decide on what surgery is best or can you make this decision yourself thank you.

Hi
I am at Sunderland too. Had seminar in October last year, was really relaxed and informative. I am now waiting for my 2 nd appointment in a couple of weeks time and after that only a few weeks until I have endoscopy. I have found the waiting frustrating as I am finding it hard to think of anything else but actually it has went quick and I am hoping to have surgery March. Good luck with it all but please don't worry.
Jackie
X

Thank you Again sharona I'm very happy to hear what I'm to expect I'm hoping to have the bypass done.

Hi Jackie I to am already impatient and haven't even had my first apointment yet and already it's all I can think about I hope it's not to long for you could you tell me a little more about what this endoscopy is and why it's done thank you xx

Hi Sjwood welcome, my journey was: I went to Gp who sent of my referral I then went to met others for six months which was a learning sessions about food labels and how to cope with hunger and healthy options, and while this was going on we were weighted every month and we all had to loose 5% of our weight. This information went to the dietician who met with me discussed my progress asked me which op I wanted and why and the it went to the MDT to apply for funding. After this I went to a group meeting with the dietician went through each procedure. We were then each told what the consultant had decided we could have done, I was offered all three for no particular reason. We were offered booklets with the procedure in each one and what to expect before the op with the pre op diet and life afterwards. I then went to see the consultant who discussed each one explained the pluses and against. I was then put on the waiting list which I was told was 18 weeks which is the standard NHS waiting time, but I only waited 14 weeks. I got a date and I was contacted four weeks before surgery to start the liver shrinking diet, and to do this we were offered 5 diets that you could follow, I chose the real food diet, I received a call from the team to make sure I was copying. I had a bypass on 10 October 14. I had mine at the same hospital as SHARONA. I hope that was helpful.

Thank you Again sharona I'm very happy to hear what I'm to expect I'm hoping to have the bypass done.

Hi Jackie I to am already impatient and haven't even had my first apointment yet and already it's all I can think about I hope it's not to long for you could you tell me a little more about what this endoscopy is and why it's done thank you xx

Hi SJ
Sunderland endoscope all people prior to surgery. It is a procedure where you can have either a 'numbing' type spray or more sedation. I believe that it is not pleasant so I will be opting for whatever I can! It is to ensure that everything is ok in the stomach region prior to surgery by passing a fine camera down the throat. they can pick up on things like hernias, inflammation etc. Not looking forward to it but cant wait on the other hand as it will feel so close once this is done!
The waiting is so difficult as it is so hard to plan anything. There is a support group held at Sunderland on the last Thursday of every month. These are really relaxed and you get the opportunity to speak to other patients, nurses, surgeons and dieticians. May be worth coming along! I will be there! xx

Are you going to the next support group Jac? It'll be 29th won't it? What time is it? I've never been before but might go to this one, would be good to meet people and ask questions :)

Are you going to the next support group Jac? It'll be 29th won't it? What time is it? I've never been before but might go to this one, would be good to meet people and ask questions :)
hi Suzie

Yeah I'm planning on going. It starts at 6, would be good to see you. Probably wont recognise you ha ha! x

Thank you to everybody I'm happy to hear anything you's can tell me and you's all have give me good info so far I like to read the little details of what people put for example what they are asked by dietician and surgeon and how you answered thank you all again xx

Hi again I have a question and hoping you lovely ladies could maybe answer me I've read a lot on here about sleep apnoea tests does everyone have one done thanks xx

I had it and I was private, it was just a device I wore at home it measures oxygen levels in the blood. It clipped on my finger.

Hi again I have a question and hoping you lovely ladies could maybe answer me I've read a lot on here about sleep apnoea tests does everyone have one done thanks xx

Hi SJ, at Sunderland this depends on the answers you give on your questionnaire. I didn't have a apnoea test.
x

Hi I had one done, I was given a machine to take home shown how to connect it all up and had to return it the next day. It's just to rule out if you suffer with it but have never been diagnosed because that contributes to diet problems apparently as I was told. :)

Back