• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

holiday insurance

zetacatty

A loser at last!
I posted this question on another thread - but can't remember which one. So I've posted a new thread just for this.

I'm looking into next years holiday - hopefully I'll be six months post op by then. Can anyone recommend a travel insurance company that's ok with bypass? Some seem ok ouside the 6 month limit but simply refuse if you are within 6 months. Any ideas?

Hi there, here are three companies who will insure you if you have had operation within 12 months of the date of the holiday.

Citybond
Free Spirit
All Clear

Hope that helps...also if you already have an insurer in mind, call them and ask what their policy is on this.

;)

I posted this question on another thread - but can't remember which one. So I've posted a new thread just for this.

I'm looking into next years holiday - hopefully I'll be six months post op by then. Can anyone recommend a travel insurance company that's ok with bypass? Some seem ok ouside the 6 month limit but simply refuse if you are within 6 months. Any ideas?

Hi Marion

At the travel agents where I work, we use Mondial as they were a lot more accommodating for our customers than Axa who we used to use.

I sell the insurance to our customers and then they have to ring them up to give details of any operations they have had within the last 2 years...That is standard though.

I have customers with heart bypasses and worse and they have not been refused....There will be an extra charge though unfortunately.

I'm not at work at the moment to find out any more for you, but give them a try and see how much it comes out at.

Hope it helps.

(((hugs)))

This question was brought up before. I found the thread, hope it helps.

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/96366-anyone-recommend-holiday-insurane.html

Thank you all so much - that's really helpful and now I have plenty of info to work on. :airplane: This is the first holiday in years that I've looked forward to! Mxx

I havent looked either Im booked to go in November this year so I will be 11 months post op. We have free travel insurance with the bank account we have with the coop. So will have to look at it, but will prob be naughty and take my chance like I did in march lol

I havent looked either Im booked to go in November this year so I will be 11 months post op. We have free travel insurance with the bank account we have with the coop. So will have to look at it, but will prob be naughty and take my chance like I did in march lol

I think I would worry in case food got stuck or something and needed to be sorted by a hospital. Trouble is, if you aren't completely honest about everything it can invalidate your insurance so even something like a lost luggage claim could be invalidated. Most insurance companies will take whatever chance they can to wriggle out of payments. Mxx

OOOOOHHHHHHH please I beg you dont mess with holiday insurace (ESP IF GOING TO USA)!!! I had a pre existing knee condition when I went to America and dislocated my knee (had not dislocated for such a long time and then i do it on bleeding holiday!). Anyway I ended up having to go to hospital to have it drained and have an MRI scan on it and have it put in a splint. My bill for the hospital would have come to over £20, 000 if I had not told my insurance company before I went about my pre existing condition and got them to say that it was covered (I think i paid £15 more on my insurance for my pre existing condition to be covered!)
I really would recommend doing it properly especially if going to America (not so bad if going to Australia or Europe as there are reciprocal medical provisions for people going to those places from the UK)
I just thought id let you know my experience.

Half the companies don't even know what Gastric Bypass is, I know I rang most of them ........... lol. I have insurance through my bank but Bypass wasnt covered by that policy, no surprise there then !!!!

well called the coop they told me phone a medical screening number They said cause its cosmetic the dont no so phone the Axa who underight the policy and they dont no what a bunch of Knob heads. Gonna go in the coop tomorrow and tell them to phone who ever and find out for me lol

I have a free travel insurance policy through my bank account too - Royal Bank of Scotland Royalties. I called them before we went to the USA in May just to make sure we had the correct contact numbers etc before we left. The call centre person I spoke to asked (for the purposes of checking the policy etc) if I, or anyone travelling had had surgery in the past 12 months or if there were any new medical issues that we should make them aware of. I toyed with the idea of saying no, but then was worried that something could turn up related to my bypass, so I told her. They couldnt even find 'gastric bypass' on their computer as a listed operation and they put me down as having had the gastric band???? It cost me £68 and will last me until next May in terms of medical travel cover. I was asked if it was a procedure that I had elected to have and of course I had to answer honestly and said yes. For the vast majority of us, we have all 'elected' for the surgery but the reality is we felt we had to. It is because I answered yes to that, that it cost me an additional premium on my 'free' travel insurance. It makes me really angry. Good luck in your search but do shop around!!

They told me as it wasnt a medical condition and I had no other health reason for having it they didnt think I needed it lol

will let you no

Some of the insurance companies do not have Gastric Bypass as a condition...but it is a surgery. It sometimes comes under treatment for obesity on their list....It should never be a problem as the company will always contact the underwriters.

I have had some very upset customers with some horrendous stories after NOT purchasing insurance or not disclosing all...Having insurance in place at the same time as you book a holiday can get you all or most of your costs back too...There was one young man who was advised to buy it and didn't, his mother was very ill while he was on holiday and he had a nightmare getting back and she died before he got back.

Some insurances you get with your bank account are not fully comprehensive or if they are they only cover you for the lower end basics...Best to check.

(((hugs)))

Most travel insurance will ask have you had any surgery in the past 6 months so anything after 6 months is normally ok

post office
tesco
axa are all ok if post op over 6 months

Corrine xx

I think I would worry in case food got stuck or something and needed to be sorted by a hospital. Trouble is, if you aren't completely honest about everything it can invalidate your insurance so even something like a lost luggage claim could be invalidated. Most insurance companies will take whatever chance they can to wriggle out of payments. Mxx

I think you're right. Insurance Companies will take any opportunity not to pay out .

Last edited:
Back