• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

6 month surgiversary!

Oh dear! Took the multivit and promptly threw the whole lot up! First time I've been sick since the op!
Hi pippa.
The multi vits look ok on the whole. Some of the ingredients could be better quality but they'll do the job just fine. There's a few bits in the multi vit that you probably won't benefit from. Like 1mg of garlic & 2%RDA magnesium. At least there's no E numbers, artificial sweeteners etc & & I wouldn't take them long term as they have a high vitamin A level 2250ug is the max safe supplement intake.

To avoid being sick take them after food. They are quite strong! & they're not coated to delay release so it's a lot for your tummy to deal with at one time.

I would take your zinc at a different time of day to the multi vit. Your body can only process so much at a time, you'll be more likely to absorb what you need by taking them 4-6 hours apart.
The zinc would be better as picolinate or citrate you can get zinc with copper together in a capsule.
Capsules are generally much better than tablets as they are easier to take & have less additives.

Once you've had your zinc level re-checked by the doctor & he's happy with it, drop your dose down to 15-30mg (including any in the multi vit)

Hope that helps!

Emma

Biocare will be brilliant. I don't need to look at it, everything they do is great. They have Patrick holford working with them. He knows his stuff. I can't see the links to the other ones :-(

The other links don't seem to be working! Do you think it'll be ok not having iron? I did find an iron and copper combo but it has 14mg iron which is probably more than I need!

http://m.healthspan.co.uk/products/...160F9D3F54F5&gclid=CMH3_L6xgMYCFW3LtAodiVkAUg

Could I take it every other day do you think?

Sorry for all the questions Emma. I'm feeling a bit mind boggled by it all and slightly anxious after the vomiting episode. I really want to get the zinc right too as I think it will help my hair recover

The other links don't seem to be working! Do you think it'll be ok not having iron? I did find an iron and copper combo but it has 14mg iron which is probably more than I need! http://m.healthspan.co.uk/products/ironcare?sc_camp=6C8060BA196E48ECA9FB160F9D3F54F5&gclid=CMH3_L6xgMYCFW3LtAodiVkAUg Could I take it every other day do you think? Sorry for all the questions Emma. I'm feeling a bit mind boggled by it all and slightly anxious after the vomiting episode. I really want to get the zinc right too as I think it will help my hair recover

14mg is the RDA & a common amount in a multi vit. I personally would take iron as deficiency most common cause of female pattern baldness. That is unless a doctor has advised against taking iron. That looks like a good iron as its non-constipating. The zinc will help the hair recover too, as will the b vits, particularly biotin & silicia.

The problem with hair loss is that the cause may have happened months ago when the hair was first growing in the follicle & because hair grows slowly it can take a while to rectify.

I'm not surprised your a little anxious after the vomiting, but taking them on a full stomach should avoid the same happening again

Is Patrick holford the guy who advocates low carb and writes about insulin resistance syndrome?
Yes, he's wrote a lot about sugar in particular. He's one of the few nutritionalists who really understand the interaction of food / supplements / prescription drugs & health. Amazing guy

14mg is the RDA & a common amount in a multi vit. I personally would take iron as deficiency most common cause of female pattern baldness. That is unless a doctor has advised against taking iron. That looks like a good iron as its non-constipating. The zinc will help the hair recover too, as will the b vits, particularly biotin & silicia. The problem with hair loss is that the cause may have happened months ago when the hair was first growing in the follicle & because hair grows slowly it can take a while to rectify. I'm not surprised your a little anxious after the vomiting, but taking them on a full stomach should avoid the same happening again

I promise this is the last question Emma! Are Healthspan vitamins good quality?

Hi pippa. Ask as many questions as you like! I've not dealt with healthspan, I think they're mAinly an online brand. The online stuff does tend to be lower quality as they rely on the customer not having any knowledge however The iron you showed me is a good one.
The best big brands I know of are solgar, viridian, bio care, bio health, Vogel, higher nature, fsc, solar at, quest, natures aid, pukka & health aid.
The important thing is when choosing a product is to get some advice. Any health food shop or Holland & barret will happily advise you for free

I should rename this thread as "not so chirpy now"!

I think I've had a pretty easy ride so far on this weight loss journey for which I am incredibly grateful. But this week I've had a huge wake up call. I've had no real stalls in 7 months and can eat pretty much anything - and there's the problem. My tastes haven't changed like some of you and I still have quite a sweet tooth. I don't dump and my sleeve is very forgiving of the fact that I still eat too quickly so gradually I am eating more of the wrong things and the calorie count is getting higher. And this week I put on a pound and a half after a particularly carb heavy weekend. I've been kidding myself that the amount of exercise I'm doing allows me to eat what I like (albeit smaller amounts) but evidently not. And now I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the fact that maintaining the new slimline me is going to take an enormous amount of effort. Yesterday was a real white knuckle day trying to avoid to many carbs and goodies. This is what the rest of my life is going to be like, isn't it. I guess I knew it but now I really know it and the honeymoon is well and truly over. Wish me luck

Last edited:
You will be able to nip it in the bud now you recognise what's what. Good luck!

Thanks Weegie! The problem is I never nipped it in the bud before and look where that got me! It's just head stuff that needs sorting and that's what I struggle with. I'm scared I'm going to fail at this as well :-/

Oh Pippa ((((Huggs))))

Someone said to me that in the honeymoon period your tool does 80% of the work, we do 20%

After that we have to do the 80% and our tool only does 20%

That's why we need to make the most of our honeymoon period. And you have!!!!

Look how far you have come and how little you have to do to reach your goals

Sorry you have hit a wall. But you can do this xxx We all can. If we stick with it and support each other. Just do a few days really low carb and get yourself kick started again xxxxxxxx

Thanks Weegie! The problem is I never nipped it in the bud before and look where that got me! It's just head stuff that needs sorting and that's what I struggle with. I'm scared I'm going to fail at this as well :-/

Yes, but before you were flying solo, now you have a WL tool to help you. :) Still needs work but it is a matter of not wasting that golden year for one, because it wont revisit.

Most of us are our own worst enemies, thats one reason I decided to be hard on myself during the first year if not longer. So its an easy decision, and no-one to blame but ourselves if it goes wrong. Focus on your surgiversary, will,you be able to look back and say "I did my best" ? Taking to myself as much here as I am in second chance saloon with my bypass. Revisioners cannot expect the same big bang losses because put bodies were already used to lower intake. Let's crack year one and then take it from there :)

Really I know you can do it. Find another way to reward yourself.. So many ways to choose from. Sorry wasn't meant to be preachy :eek: you caught me in a certain frame of mind. :D honestly good luck sweetie. Hugs.

You WLS friends are a tonic to the soul! No preaching Weegie just supporting with facts. No point in kidding ourselves. The reality is we have to do the work like Kirsty says. Even though I'm stuck at my desk, the worst thing I've done is eat 100 calories of crackers. Been a bit of a white knuckle day again but I'm getting there. Just got to get through this evening - that's when a lot of the damage tends to be done. Thanks guys for the pep talk xx

Hi Pippa,
Sending you good luck. Kicking our habits is tough but I fear you may be hard on yourself. Eating 100 calories of carbs is not that much. From what my dietician said, we need to get 150 carbs a day for successful weight loss. I am not suggesting you eat loads of carbs but don't berate yourself for 100 calories.

Good luck, you will overcome this and continue loosing weight.

You WLS friends are a tonic to the soul! No preaching Weegie just supporting with facts. No point in kidding ourselves. The reality is we have to do the work like Kirsty says. Even though I'm stuck at my desk, the worst thing I've done is eat 100 calories of crackers. Been a bit of a white knuckle day again but I'm getting there. Just got to get through this evening - that's when a lot of the damage tends to be done. Thanks guys for the pep talk xx

We are here all evening love.... Hugs

Back