• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Home and finally banded.

Katie_25

Hi everyone, well I had my gastric band op on Tuesday morning at the Nuffield hosital in Leeds with Professor McMahon. They took me down to theatre at 8:15am and I was well enough to go home at 7pm that evening, which was great.
I'm very sore and it's painful getting up, especially out of bed, but other than that I think i'm doing ok. I'm managing my fluids ok, just sipping on a slim-fast at the moment... been told it's fluid for four weeks, sloppy's for two then on to solids.
Wind pain hasn't been too bad, had a little bit in my shoulder last night, but it passed fairly quickly.
Just wanted to ask everyone that's had their op how much moving about they did after their op? My surgeon said to move about and get some exercise, so I went for a walk around the block earlier and it wasn't pleasant at all, very uncomfortable and felt very weak, don't know if he perhaps meant to just walk around the house?

Last edited:
Hiya

Glad everything went ok!

For the first few days take it easy and walk as much as is comfortable - frequent short walks around the house will be fine and will help to shift that wind.

Build up gradually and before you know it you will be walking for miles!

Hiya, thanks for the advice. Think i'll just stick to walking round the house for now and try and venture out again in a couple of days. It is difficult to get motivated to move though, as it hurts when I get up etc, so need to keep reminding myself to move every so often, lol.

Hi Katie,

I would think your surgeon meant for you to walk about the house instead of lying in bed or sitting too long as it will help with circulation and also help your body get rid of the gas that builds up in the colon, as Anesthesia relaxes the colon and when it begins to wake up, gas bubbles form causing pain. Walking helps to work the gas bubbles down through the instestines where it is expelled.

As Mazza has said do what is comfortable to you and build it up gradually.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Love Mini xxx

Well done Katie! Toddling around the house gently but frequently is good advice , I hope that you feel better soon and that you enjoy the journey to your new gorgeous slim self!

Thanks mini, I've found that after i've drank something the moving about does help get the gas up etc. Going to try and get up and move about for a bit every hour, unless i'm in bed of course, lol. My legs also feel a little sore, but don't know if some of that's to do with the compression stockings i've been told to wear and not take off for a week, unless i'm in the bath etc, or perhaps they're just a bit stiff from the lack of movement over the last couple of days?

Thanks neen, can't wait to start seeing the new slim me, so excited!

hi katie, i had my band last friday!
for the first 4 days after surgery i couldnt manage 1 litre a day of liquids and i didnt feel too gr8..i didnt push myself to walk just around the house. got up every 2 hrs or so for 20 mins and walked around. also i couldnt really drink whilst in bed , gave me gas, like i needed to burp! i stopped taking any painkillers on tues also coz they made me throw up :(

oh, i also didnt bother wearing the socks they gave , they annoyed me....but i did have those horrible injections , werent so bad my mum gave me them but i look like ive been shot with a paintball gun in my stomach!!! awful bruises!
with regard to going out...on the monday after the op i HAD to go to an appointment...it wasnt very pleasant didnt want to get dressed or go out at all but managed it. then i went out on the weds to the supermarket and couple other places....but i havent been doing 'exercise' as such!

briliantly though the surgeon did my band through one incision not 5......so have a lot less to heal, was much easier in the beginning to move about and i can even sleep on my side now!!
anyway be in touch katie we can be band buddies :)

oh yeh, ive got a fill booked for 27th nov, 4 weeks exactly after op!

hi katie, i had my band last friday!
for the first 4 days after surgery i couldnt manage 1 litre a day of liquids and i didnt feel too gr8..i didnt push myself to walk just around the house. got up every 2 hrs or so for 20 mins and walked around. also i couldnt really drink whilst in bed , gave me gas, like i needed to burp! i stopped taking any painkillers on tues also coz they made me throw up :(

oh, i also didnt bother wearing the socks they gave , they annoyed me....but i did have those horrible injections , werent so bad my mum gave me them but i look like ive been shot with a paintball gun in my stomach!!! awful bruises!
with regard to going out...on the monday after the op i HAD to go to an appointment...it wasnt very pleasant didnt want to get dressed or go out at all but managed it. then i went out on the weds to the supermarket and couple other places....but i havent been doing 'exercise' as such!

briliantly though the surgeon did my band through one incision not 5......so have a lot less to heal, was much easier in the beginning to move about and i can even sleep on my side now!!
anyway be in touch katie we can be band buddies :)

oh yeh, ive got a fill booked for 27th nov, 4 weeks exactly after op!

Brilliant idea Costaerer, i look forward to seeing yours and Katie's losses. Good luck both of you xx

Hi Costaerer,

Would love to be band buddies, that's a great idea! I'm 4 days in now and feeling much better, still stiff and bruised, the most uncomfortable pain seems to be around my port wound as this is where there's the most bruising, the other wounds are not a problem. I've heard of the 1 incision op, it's quite new isn't it, must be so much easier having it done that way.
I was going to ask about the sleeping on your side. I always sleep on my side so I haven't been sleeping great as i've been uncomfortable, so i'm hoping that'll ease soon and I can get a decent nights sleep.
Have you had any problems with your skin? Mine seems to be getting quite dry and flaky which is annoying, perhaps it's due to a lack of certain vitamins etc. Just started taking a crushed up multi-vitamin and iron in a yoghurt each day.
I don't think i've been managing to get through enough fluid either, they told me 2 litres a day, which is a lot, need to pretty much be drinking constantly all day to get through it.
I've been having the injections too, I live on my own, so I've landed myself on my parents for a couple of weeks while I recover, so my mum's been giving me mine too... don't think I can do it myself, too squeamish, lol.
They gave me some liquid paracetamol to take as and when I needed it, but i've not had any today or yesterday, which is good. I keep feeling very gassy too, have to get up and walk around once I've finished a drink to get the gas up... feel like a big baby that needs burping, lol.

Good luck with the band fill. Got my first one booked for 9th December, so hopefully will give me time to get into my stride with it before Xmas, that's the thing i'm looking forward to most, mashed up Xmas dinner, lol.

Thanks Phatmomma for the best wishes :) xx

Hiya,yeh i find the only pain is around the wound.
The 1 incision thing is a new thing.... he said if he couldnt do it hed do 5 incisions....after i woke up after op that was the first thing i asked my nurse! they were all bewildered when they looking at my wound coz none of them had seen a 1 scar gastric band before.
Im 8 days post op now and i can sleep on both sides even the one with the scar so no doubt you will be able to in a few days also!
wow....yesterday i managed a whole muller corner yogurt all day!! :)
the dietician told me i shouldnt start taking vits till 4 weeks post op, but thats prob coz i wont be able to swallow them or dissolve them but crushing them up is a great idea. also zinc i think is good to take post op!

ive had a bit of dry skin but not much. im sure its very much to do with the fact your body is so dehydrated there is no moisture!

hopefully by xmas there will be no more mash just solids !!!! x

Yeah I thought the crushed up multi-vitamin would be a good idea as I can't seem to get it in liquid form etc. Thought it'd help perk me up a bit as I was feeling quite weak and drained for the first two or three days, although I do feel much better today.
How long has your provider told you to keep on liquids? Mine has told me 4 weeks liquds, 2 weeks sloppy then on to solid. Although i'm feeling fine with the liquids now I think 4 weeks is quite a long time, i'll definately be missing chewing by then, lol.
Xmas is the date i'm aiming for in terms of enjoying some proper food... and i'm hoping to be two stone down by then, i've lost 12lb now since starting the pre-op diet on 1st Nov, so only a stone and 2lb's to go!
Have you set yourself any targets?
xx

hey, im doing 2 weeks liquid 2 weeks mush! 4 weeks is a really really long time ....im going crazy after just over a week!! good luck!

i didnt go on a pre op diet for some reason he didnt put me on one so didnt really lose weight before...but i think since the op ive lost 10lbs +.... not exactly sure coz my scales arent gr8 nd cant remember my exact weight before!
i havent set any targets yet. think i might though! i just joined the gym.. it doesnt open till end of dec, but going to try and go 3 times a week!! thats more of an aim for me!

Yes I thought 4 weeks was a pretty long time on liquids, but i'll see how I get on. I'm already fantasising about what I can have when I move on to sloppy's, lol.
I've got a treadmill at home, so think i'm going to dust that off and make some use of it when I've healed properly, going to take up swimming regularly too, thought that would be good to tone up whilst i'm losing.
I thought the setting targets would be a good way of keeping motivation up etc if i'm feeling a little low at some point, plus it's always a good feeling when you've met a goal :)

Congratulations on your Bands!

I had very dry skin too...After a shower, whilst still wet i applied baby oil. This helped me alot, i also believe it helps with scarring.

Good luck on your weightloss journeys- It helps to have a band buddy. I have two that i regularly text when i'm feeling confused/motivated/inspired. I'd be lost without them! :)

Katie, swimming is great for toning- but be aware that your wounds need to be healed, to stop risk of infection. I was told to wait 6 weeks.

Hi Coralie, thanks for the well wishes.
Yes I was thinking about the best moisturiser to use etc as I was thinking this may help my skin when losing the weight, the rubbing also helps to break down the fat under the skin too i've heard. I don't moisturise that often to be honest, only my face and hands regularly, but thought i'd better build it into my routine.

I've found it really helpful to have people to speak to that are in the same position, this site has been really helpful both pre and post op and I hope to continue making new friends on here. I also go to a support group once a month at the Nuffield in Leeds, which is great for support and motivation also :)

Ahh yes, didn't think about that with the swimming, maybe it's something I can pick up in the new year then. I get to take my dressings off later today, so will get to have a look at the wounds and let some air get to them... hope they're ok! lol

Hiya costaerer,

Feeling a lot better today, still sore around my port, but able to get up and down much better, even managed a trip to the cinemas this afternoon, was great to get out of the house! I've been managing my liquids fine without any problems, just sipping them slowly. I find if I drink too fast I can get windy and it feels uncomfortable, but I can still get my drinks down. Just having a cup of tea as we speak. I've not got anything in my band at the moment though, so that might be why i've been managing ok?
How are you feeling today? How are you getting on with your fluids, did they put anything in your band during the op?

Back