• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Home and NOT banded!!!

Gnomes

Yes ladies and gents, you have read that correctly, went down to London (a 2.5 hr trip for me) on Tuesday, arrived 7am, got admitted, bloods, BP etc taken, and I was told that I had lost 11.8 kg on the liver shrinkage diet, (how proud of myself was I??!!!), I was gowned up with the sexy surgical stockings on, I was 2nd on the list, at 11am the nurse told me I was next to go down, (I was strangely calm and excited), at 11:35 the consultants SHO came and told me ALL of the theatres have been suspended as the hosp have no beds and the managers were having a meeting.

At 13:35 I was finally informed that my op had been cancelled, GREAT!!

So thats the travel down there, the hotel paid for, money wasted, not only that but I informed work that I would be off for 2 weeks, so they have covered my hrs and now without a meds cert I won't get paid, saying bye bye to at least £650!

They have to offer me another app within 28 days, but with that much money lost and with them giving me no help, I won't be able to afford this again until at least April, I'm not a happy bunny!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh no thats awful news :( I dont know what to say *hugs*

OMG!!!! oh bless you hun... i really dont know what to say :-(
i send you my biggest hugs. Can you see if you claim at least your travel expenses from the hospital xx

OMG thats awful! cant imagine how devestated u must be feeling right now xx

oh honey im so sorry :( as Rayne said, ask for your expenses, bless your heart :( (((hugs))) xxx

They have to offer me another app within 28 days, but with that much money lost and with them giving me no help, I won't be able to afford this again until at least April, I'm not a happy bunny!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaarrrgggh, Gnomes! :(

So sorry to hear this. I really think you ought to write to the hospital regarding your travel and hotel accommodation costs, as obviously these are things you will incur again when given a new date.

Does make me wonder, was there no other more local hospital that you could have been referred to ....? (However, I do realise this may be too late in the day now -- I know once you are in the system at the Whittington -- or any hospital -- you are in THEIR system and their system only.)

PM me if you want contact details of any peeps at the Whittington, or just to have a general chat. ;)

The 2 'local' hospitals near me for WLS are Luton or The Whittington and London, even though it's 2.5hrs away, is actually easier to get to.

Yes ladies and gents, you have read that correctly, went down to London (a 2.5 hr trip for me) on Tuesday, arrived 7am, got admitted, bloods, BP etc taken, and I was told that I had lost 11.8 kg on the liver shrinkage diet, (how proud of myself was I??!!!), I was gowned up with the sexy surgical stockings on, I was 2nd on the list, at 11am the nurse told me I was next to go down, (I was strangely calm and excited), at 11:35 the consultants SHO came and told me ALL of the theatres have been suspended as the hosp have no beds and the managers were having a meeting.

At 13:35 I was finally informed that my op had been cancelled, GREAT!!

So thats the travel down there, the hotel paid for, money wasted, not only that but I informed work that I would be off for 2 weeks, so they have covered my hrs and now without a meds cert I won't get paid, saying bye bye to at least £650!

I really cannot imagine how you are feeling I am so sorry for you best wishes Pauline

Aw sorry your op was cancelled but unfortunatly operations are cancelled all the time and for a variety of reasons.

I dont think you would have much luck trying to reclaim any money back from them as others have suggested you try.

Hopefully you will get another date soon x

Mr Sufi was my surgeon; this is nothing to do with him, is it? If it is, I'll email him and give him a rocket!

So sorry Gnomes, what a horrid experience!

I know a bit about how you will be feeling. I was all gowned up and ready to go when my op was cancelled in Dec (unlike you, I had a bed allocated to me and they had to bring all my stuff back down to surgical admissions so I could get changed and go home!)
I was back at work the next day, but at least I had a clear diary. I hope you can work something out with work.

I'm living proof there IS light at the end of the tunnel - I hope you get everything sorted soon x

oh my gosh i am so so sorry

Gutted for u hun :-( xx hope they sort sumthing out for u soon xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

So sorry for you, I can't image how you feel. Hope you get a date very soon

Sorry to hear things did not go as planned, I would be very pee'd off like you, lets hope u get a new date asap xx

Been there and done that, got right outside the operating theatre. I'm so sorry this has happened to you too. I don't know what to say about your out of pocket costs. Think it's something that you will just have to accept but it might be worth getting in touch with PALS at the hospital and see what they can suggest.

Love Kate x

i hope you manage to get sorted out soon :) have you called work to tell them and see if you can have your shifts back x

i am gutted for you, i was cancelled on 18th jan, 23 hours before i was due at heartlands b'ham, and that was bad enough, but i think i would have wept like a baby if i had had your experience. no words can make it better, but i really hope you get a call soon to reschedule. you say they have to offer a place within 28 days? why is that then? is that common practise or just at your hospital? good luck

you say they have to offer a place within 28 days? why is that then? is that common practice or just at your hospital?

This is the hospitals policy to offer an app within 28 days of the cancellation.
Had a phone call today and they offered me 13th Feb, but I cannot afford it so soon after this last trip, so have agreed for 10th April, fingers crossed x

Also I have filed a complaint with Pals, but I won't hold my breath!!

Back