• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Homerton the hell hole!

I had my op there back in March and I could not fault them, even when I had problems with being dehydrated they had me straight back in.
Regards
Bryan

My father in law is a doctor and this is one hospital he told us to avoid like the plague, many for the same reasons you mentioned.

I would definitely make a formal complaint as that is awful treatment.

I had my op there nearly 2 yrs ago and I had the best care, and the ward was spotless and the staff were amazing, no complaints from me.

ooo dont be apologising sweets its good to share experiances so we all know the good with the bad! hope your well on your way to a speedy recovery xxx

Sounds like the experience I had at Eastbourne a few years ago when I had my gall bladder out. Sounds like it varies what ward you are put on post op. Some are lucky some are not. I will be warned by your post (even though not going there) and take a small sponge and small bottle of water. I will not be left ever again without being able to damp my mouth, it is the worst feeling. Make the complaint. I complained when still on the ward about the treatment of the elderly in there, remember the Elmlea advert where the nurse takes away the strawberries because the patient can't eat them? I saw that happen time and again with elderly patients food. My reward was to be stuck in an isolation ward!

i can only say get your complaints in please! its terrible what goes on in this hospital it truely is! and yes from my and 4 other people i know of recent experiances with that hell hole the care was awfull, no food brought to patient (left for days and days with like you just water) and pain relief can't believe you'd expect it before waiting 7 hours thats a good turn around time!! HELL HOLE is only words! all the best to you though with post op care and PLEASE the more people complain the more chance we have of helping others xx

Sorry to hear of your bad experience - you should definately complain.

I also had my surgery at Homerton last April and also had to stay in for a week in July - Although i agree the place has seen better days and i did have to fend for myself quite a bit, even disconnecting my drip so i could have a shower because it takes them so long to get round to anything. I didn't however have any problems getting medication and the surgical staff were excellent.

It did however seem to depend on who's shift it was as to what kind of care i received.

Can i ask what ward you were on?

Unfortunately I think this situation is common throughout the country now. I had to visit an elderly neighbour in the short stay ward last week. He was in a room on his own with filthy bed linen left on the chair, empty water jug, pads and tissues left on the windowsill etc. He frequently fell out of bed and wasn't checked on enough. After 3 days of receiving substandard care (the nurses weren't even aware that his confusion was a new symptom and not the norm) his condition deteriorated to the state that he was transferred to the high dependency unit where he still remains. He's an alcoholic and I'm pretty certain that impacted on the attitudes of the staff who blamed all his symptoms on drying out, when his relatives were insistant that his illness had started following a chest infection. He's now been diagnosed with a heart problem and is still very poorly.
One of the worst things was that when I went to visit him he wasn't decent. He would be mortified to know that I saw him like that. Surely it doesn't take much to check the patient is covered with a sheet at the start of visiting time?

I am now back from Homerton after having a GAstric sleeve and don't get me wrong I am grateful for it but does being fat mean that i'm supposed to ignore how crap they were?

The surgical team did their bit and so far no problems however....

the ward and toilets/showers were dirty with blood and faeces covered gowns and stockings that were there for days.

I was told I could have pain relief every 2-4 hours and I really needed it! When I requested it however it took up to another 3 hours to arrive. That is 7 hours without pain relief!!!!! They then gave me oral pain relief which I promptly threw up but they didn't help again for another few hours. Even leaving me with dirty sick bowls and vomited on sheets over night.

They didn't manage to sort out my heart and seizure medication and I havn't had any since saturday.

They didn't sort out all meds by the time they discharged me. So they discharged me without everything I needed to get me through. Today I am trying to get hold of a GP (any will do) to get sorted.

They just were disorganised. They said they were short staffed, but even when lots of staff were around they weren't any better.

When my parents (and relatives of other patients on the ward) started to complain they just shrugged and said there was nothing they could do.

I will be making a complaint to the hospital but I was wondering if this was a common problem or just a blip?
blimey, if i ever get round to have my surgery this is where i'll go :(

SCOOBYDOOBYDOO said:
Sorry to hear you had such a terrible time.
I have to say though that I went to Heartlands in Birmingham and it wasn't much better. Unhelpful staff who told me not to bother pressing the morphine pump, no help with anything...even took them 3 hours to get me a glass of water.
I'm just glad they let me out after one nights stay.
Hope you make a speedy recovery x

This is where I will be going :( I will try to plan ahead with things in my bag x

This is where I will be going :( I will try to plan ahead with things in my bag x
it sucks dont it? we'll eventually get our op then dies of MRSA :(

my mum went into hospital in a diabetic come contracted pneumonia whilst there and come home with mrsa but shes still with us 12 years on ;)
was that at Homerton Joffy? glad your mums still ok :) xxx

Caren said:
it sucks dont it? we'll eventually get our op then dies of MRSA :(

Would be just our look Caren :S lol

I wondered why Heartlands was known as Heartless lol

I will take some disinfectant wipes, and clean my bed bay up before my op lol

It's places like that give the NHS a bad name . The ward I work on is spotless & even when I am tearing my hair out I would NEVER make someone wait so long for pain relief , that's just not on.
So sorry you had bad experiences , it embarrasses me as a nurse .

Back