• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hormones and what you don't get told....

Bonita S

Obviously when your a long way out you get to speak fellow by-passers and glean a lot of information along the way, I feel this should be shared with people starting out but it's not. The teams are not contacting long termers or following their progress so often don't even know this stuff is happening to lots out there.

The surgeons and their teams aren't doing this as yet especially in the UK (it is happening a little in the States). I think that's because as yet they don't understand 100% why it happens.

It's long been common knowledge that post bypass a lot of relationships fail, this can be down to a number of reasons, some people are attracted to larger people and when they lose weight they are no longer attractive to them, others as they lose weight their own personality changes making them a different person and so on, but for a large number it's down to the changes in hormones and mood.

Lots of post by-passers report going into depression and can't understand it (especially in the earlier days and particularly in women). The reason is two fold it seems and makes sense once you know why. I wish the teams would tell this because for-warned is for-armed and it also makes it so much easier to deal with.

Fat stores hormones (mainly Oestrogen), so when your losing that fat rapidly you are releasing large amounts of those hormones into your body, in essence overdosing on them hence the severe mood swings and depression, which is difficult to deal with. Then there is the releasing of other hormones into your body related to the actual bypass site that surgeons are only recently discovering (found this latest bit of info from an American study recently done), so it not surprising your going to suffer these mood swings.

I can only go by my own experience of this when describing it, but can tell you that it felt very much like having the baby blues for quite a while. It didn't make sense, yes I did have other post op problems but the weight was dropping off, I was in clothes shops I'd not been in for years, could feel hip bones (didn't know I had them) and should have been feeling elated but I didn't. I would cry at the drop of a hat, be awful to those around me and so on, but didn't realise just how bad I was being. That was down to this hormonal overdose in the main added to having to get used to the different way of eating and the head thing going on too.

There is good news though. It will pass as things settle down, so if it happens to you at least you know what it is and bear with it. It's worth I think explaining this to those around you too if it happens so that they understand it's not for ever and there is life after bypass.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. It's so good to know I'm not alone. Have defo been feeling this myself .. bf is getting annoyed with it lol.

I don't think I'm a normal woman... Either that or I don't have hormones! I would be no good for their study!

Thanks for that Bonita. Really good to know.

Haven't been able to find much on hormones pre and post op.

I think it relates to how much weight you had to lose, I haven't suffered this time at 4.5 stone but I did last time at 8 stone

Thank you for your post.

My mum and aunt (their twins) both had a by-pass 9 years ago, and both of them went through severe depression and mood swings. It's actually one of the reasons I didn't want to have to go down the wls path.

My hubby has been warned! Xxx

Oh those hormones!!! Why do they have to ruin lifes?!!
At least there is s hope that it all blances out in the end..

I think it relates to how much weight you had to lose, I haven't suffered this time at 4.5 stone but I did last time at 8 stone

Strangely I have been the opposite way around. Band op in 2007 no lows at all, since my revision in June have had quite a few. I can be teary for no reason. I guess we are all different.

Oh dear lord, something else to look forward to. Thanks for the heads up. How long did this phase last?

It was a few months at the early stage for me. It doesn't happen to everybody but if it does at least you know what it is...

Thanks Bonita for this very useful information, forewarned is forearmed and all that

Yeah, don't underestimate the head screw/mind f*ck thing either. I don't know whether that is down to hormones but your brain likes to play tricks on you too. Don't get me wrong, the bypass is amazing! But it takes time for you to come to terms with such drastic changes so quickly. Im only 21 months out and the battle is very real x

Back