• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did you calculate your goal weight ?

deeby

Hi
I was just wondering how you all calculated your goal weight, was there some magic mathematical formula or did you all just put what you'd ideally like to be ?

I was told a weight by surgeon, that has since been revised as the new consultant I see thought it a touch unrealistic LOL

They will be happy with me if I get to 80kg.

My goal is what my sister weighs who I think looks fab.. saying that tho she is smaller boned than me so I may not get that far TBH I'd be happy fitting in a comfortable size 14 whatever weight that may be. x

I haven't been given a goal weight, I looked at what others had set their goal BMI at but I might have to adjust it upwards to take into account the weight of excess skin I will be carrying.

I was told 80% of my excess weight so 17.12lbs should weigh 9.7lbs, so the excess is 8.5lbs (117 lbs) so 80% of that is 93lbs which is 6.6lbs so hopefully I should get to 11st 6lbs.

I am now 13 8lbs 3 months post op so am hopeful to get there plus more.

By the way my maths is useless so please feel free to check.:cool:

Mine us what I'd like to get to but if I lose 80% of excess I'll get to 11st 3lb or 157 lbs. I'd be well happy with that :D

I was told 80% of my excess weight so 17.12lbs should weigh 9.7lbs, so the excess is 8.5lbs (117 lbs) so 80% of that is 93lbs which is 6.6lbs so hopefully I should get to 11st 6lbs.

I am now 13 8lbs 3 months post op so am hopeful to get there plus more.

By the way my maths is useless so please feel free to check.:cool:

I'm confused... how do you know what 80% of your excess weight is if you don't have a goal weight ?

Rose I just used an ideal weight chart which show what I should be for my height which is between 9.7lbs to 10 stone.

Rose I just used an ideal weight chart which show what I should be for my height which is between 9.7lbs to 10 stone.

Ah, OK, thanks :)

I picked a number, laughed at the improbability of getting there, and then put it on my profile. Until i post this message and check i can't even remember what weight i chose lol

Anywhere that's not almost 21stone is a plus for me xx

Flipping heck!!! 12 stone? Was i drunk? Will i ever? Oooh.............

I picked a weight somewhere mid-range of my ideal BMI, but I fear I may have been unrealistic...time will tell!
I'm more bothered about how I feel, what I can do, and what dress size I am, than what the scales say!

Oh, God Julie! I laughed at this! :8855:

I did something similar. I think I should be around 10 stones for my height. Then I laughed hysterically at the idea of that, remembered that I'm a 47 year old woman and that I struggled to be 10 stones at 17, added 20lbs and decided on 160lbs as my 'target'.

I'm not convinced that it's achievable, though.
:rolleyes:

My ideal weight is somewhere in the 7st odd - 9st 1lb range, I chose 9st because it would get me to around the 25 BMI range. However, when I told the folks at the weight clinic at Spire a month or so ago they looked at me, looked a little concerned and said "you could go higher than that" and that made me really think about things. My tummy alone is rather heavy with quite dense loose skin, I reckon my tummy alone is 7lbish of skin alone, then you have the rest of me, I personally think that I am carrying around at least 1st of excess skin, so whatever weight I am on the scales I know that I can technically ignore. I have now reset my goal weight to 10st and do hope that I get there but anything within half a stone-ish of that is good by me. When I met my surgeon and we talked about goals and I said about target weights he said that I shouldnt concentrate on simply a number, a clothes size is a good aim too, so I said that I would ideally be a size 14 at goal, a 12 would be a dream but a 14 was more than I could ask for, I never imagined I would ever get smaller than a 16...I am at around 11st 7lbs now, so I am a good stone and half away from goal, but I am already in a 12/14, I never even fantasised that I would really get here, it feels simply wonderful, but if Im at goal clothes size and not goal weight then I have to reset my goal size too I guess. This sounds terrible I know, because many many women would adore being a size 8/10 but I truly dont want to be that small, a solid 10 would be the smallest I would ever want to be, so what do I make my goals to be? Do I carry on to get to 10st and just take whatever dress size comes with that or do I carry on until I am in the clothing I want to be in and then stop there? I have been so fixated on that 10st that I dont really know how to reset my goals again now.
So Im really not sure of what Im meant to do...aim for that goal weight or go for the goal clothes size?!
Its all very confusing and I guess you just have to consider what you want and need from the journey.
Steph xx

I said i would like to be between 12 to 13 stone, the reason....... i remember being happy then!!
Having been 24stone for about 7 yrs i still think this will be bliss! :D

Great thread.

I originally picked a weight that was at the top end of a healthy BMI, but I am currently at 88% Excess weight loss and wearing size 10/12. Considering the amount of excess skin I am carrying I find it hard to imagine that I could get much smaller, but then I thought that at size 14 so its obviously still got room to shrink.

I am not so focused on the numbers any more. My next goal is to get my excess skin removed and I have started the process of getting a referral to an NHS plastic surgeon today. I think once that has been done (ever the optomist) then I will be happy.

Lol @ Julie !
I looked at the healthy BMI for my height and thought - no chance, so i just decided to half my weight ! i was about 21st so i aimed for 10 1/2 - although even now i worry that i wont get that far.

I originally set my goal at 150 pounds but not even sure how I set that. I think I'd be happy at 11 and a half.........161 pounds?? According to this forum I've already surpassed the 80% mark. Yay!!!

Wow thanks for all the replies, i just plucked my goal out of thin air really... a dream maybe, but im glad that im not alone in not knowing what it should be.
I guess your'e right when you say that it doesnt really matter and that as long as you're in the healthy BMI range and are happy in your new clothes size then its all good :).
Im getting soooo nervous about the op its coming round so fast ( 7th Oct ) im daring to let myself believe that i too could actually be a size 12/14 but it still doesnt quite compute lol.
Thanks again for the replies, i can always rely on you all for helpful and informative answers for these silly questions that pop into my head, youre all so lovey and im so glad to be a part of this forum xxxx

Back