• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did you decide your 'goal weight'?

-Sally-

I notice many people have 'goal weights' and 'goal BMIs' in their profiles - how did you know what you wanted to be?
Is it by BMI, dress size, a nice round number in stone / kilograms - or something else?
I personally can't imagine what I'll look / feel like at a certain weight - so how do I know what to aim for?
Sally

Mine is only a vague number for now but I do recall my dr saying he wanted me between 11-12st so I've gone for 11.5 :) but personally I'd be happy at 12st

Sent from my iPhone

Ive just gone of the guidelines for my height but anything near that mark I will be very very happy with :)

I went for something in the middle of a healthy BMI for my height but have re-evaluated and raised it to right at the top end of the healthy range ( 24.9). TBH I think I'm skinny enough now so the last 4lbs will be me done- I think perhaps some of us have to add a few pounds to our ideal weight to account for the loose skin . I have a lot and if it were removed I would actually be on the thin side of slim !

Hi Sally,
I guess everyone is differnt.
When I had my meeting with the dietician, she said that I should expect to achieve a BMI measurement of about 28. Technically this is still "overweight", but it is realistic.
Also, remember that if you are loosing lots of weight, you will be left with skin which also weights a lot. Other than surgery, your not going to shift that.

Both she and the surgeon said that 65% of excess weight loss is considered a successful op.

Good luck with your journey!

SNx

I set my target weight at twelve stones as its a weight I had previously felt comfortable at. Weight still continued dropping off though and tbh at just over ten stones I am a bit too low at the moment. Want to regain to get between 10 1/2 and 11 and get some of those curves back :)

I went for bmi of 25

I wanted to be a size 16. Now iam 14-16 depending in shop.
I range between 12.7 and 12.13 and to be honest iam happy with that. Used to be 26.12 and a size 34

I chose mine based on how much I had to lose. Losing 200lb seems a huge amount so over that might make things too much to set out to do. That will take me to 11 and a half stone and for my hight I'll still be just over the bmi to be obese. I'll will look at again if I manage to reach goal but my surgeon predicts and says he will be happy if I get to 15 stone.I won't be happy with with that as my final weight though so will fight to get lower. Definitely think it's a personal decision based on info from your team and what's meant to be a 'healthy' weight for you though x

Thank you Slimmingnix and everyone else who replied - being pre-op I haven't seen my dietician yet - which I suppose seems the wrong way round - I should have asked at consultation what I could expect to lose (I was so nervous quite a few things went out of my head - thank goodness for this forum!).

Gemby28 said:
According to bmi I should am for 10 stone, but that just felt like too big a hurdle. I got down to 13 stone once before (on lighter life) and still wanted to lose another stone so I'm aiming for 12 stone at the moment but will be basing it on dress sizes once I'm nearer goal :)

That's my plan to a T!!

Back