• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do I find out if my PCT will fund surgery?

hippychick62

Hi everyone. First want to say what a fantastic site this is, it is such an inspiration reading some of the posts.

I've made an appointment to ask my doc about WLS, but am a bit scared due to his previous reaction when I mentioned getting some help. I feel forewarned is forearmed so been trying to find my PCTs guidelines on surgery. Easier said than done, cant find it! Have found NICE guidelines but that's it.

Has anyone any idea how I get this info? I live in Dartford Kent. Thank you in advance =]

When I was originally put forward for my operation the hospital I had my operation at dealt with all the necessary paperwork regarding funding directly with the pct . HTH xx

Hi everyone. First want to say what a fantastic site this is, it is such an inspiration reading some of the posts.

I've made an appointment to ask my doc about WLS, but am a bit scared due to his previous reaction when I mentioned getting some help. I feel forewarned is forearmed so been trying to find my PCTs guidelines on surgery. Easier said than done, cant find it! Have found NICE guidelines but that's it.

Has anyone any idea how I get this info? I live in Dartford Kent. Thank you in advance =]
Hi there, I work for a PCT but in the North East but I know that there are different protocols across the country. in my PCT we have a protocol of bmi over 40 or 35 with co-morbidities. can I suggest that you ring your local PCT and ask to speak someone who co-ordinates their funding panel. if they don't have anyone, ask to speak to a commissioning manager who is responsible for commissioning bariatric surgery. if you have no luck let me know and I'll see if I can find out for you

Lynne
xxx

When you go in to see your GP ask them what the PCT criteria is - most will not even need to look it up as they are fully versed in the requirements for referrals - and many have lots of people asking about WLS when they are very far away from meeting the criteria.

Good luck with the appointment and I hope your GP is more receptive to your request than they may have been in the past.

Tatiana

I have contacted them directly and do not fit their criteria, oh well at least I know now though has upset me.

I'm going to start saving for private, may get it done in 5 years!

(((hugs))) thats upsetting.

I hope another way of funding comes up for you xxx

Are you a long way away from the PCTs criteria or could a couple of factors sway it for you?

Are you an inch shorter or a couple of lbs heavier than you previously thought? Do you have any co-morbidities (maybe borderline diabetic or sleep apnoea?) that haven't been taken into consideration?

Don't give up just yet look into everything thoroughly!

Tatiana

Back