• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do i know the milk diet is working?

Paula Garner

As above really. I'm on day three now. I've had no headaches as people have described. I do feel hot and sweaty after minimal movement. I also feel dizzy and can't concentrate.

Unfortunately you don't know if the liver diet works until the day of surgery, no matter how many symptoms or how much weight you lose. Not very reassuring I know but if you stick to it, as I'm sure you will then most people are fine. It's rubbish we have the uncertainty but at least it keeps us on our toes. Good luck x

I lost 12lbs in two weeks, my surgeon said that sticking to it gives the best chance of shrinking the liver and on the day of the op I was fine.

Not everyone has symptoms, altho the feelings you've described are ones that other people have certainly had while following their milk diet. But if you follow it and stick to it, then its working in the ways that it should be :)

I stuck to liver shrinkage diet for 2 weeks lost 14 pounds, then got to operation, they had a go, but couldnt be done as i have large liver, so have got a balloon to lose a bit more weight .:sigh:

On letter i got was large liver and excessive torque :eek:..

Nicky xx

What did you do if you started to feel hungry ?
I have been having fruit tea or you can have tea and use a little of your milk allowance.

They don't know if it has shrunk enough until they start the operation. Thats why its important to stick at it!

i found that no matter how well i kept my mouth clean (brushing and mouthwash) my other half would say that my breath stank ..........but it worked ;):D:D:D

I didn't have any headaches or dizziness, but I also didn't have the energy rush some people experience once they get past the dreaded day 3/4.
I drank a glass of rice milk at every meal and I ate a sugar free jelly with yogurt poured on it at every meal. I drank bouillon to get a bit of a savoury kick each evening...apart from that just pints and pints of water or NAS juice
I didn't get weighed until my very last evening after my weigh in the evening before I started and I lost a stone in 10 days....some people lose quite a bit more!
Good luck
Em xxxx

I found a paper on this because I understood that there was some controversy over whether the Milk Diet actually worked. This paper stated quite categorically that it did work and that reduction in Liver size was in direct proportion to weight loss - so if you are losing weight - your liver is getting smaller. As others have said, whether it has shrunk enough isn't clear until the operation. So keep up the good work and know that you are doing the right thing for yourself. :)

Thank you for that :) I weighed myself this morning and I've lost 4kg since starting on Sunday. So it looks like I'm heading in the right direction :)

Back