• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do you know your full?

kjb

Sound's a silly question,just wondered how all you experienced sleevers knew when to stop eating or drinking,should i just expect discomfort,pain,or wait until I'm sick,I only ask as I tried ready brek this morning making up 30g as packet directed,but I could only manage barely half

Hi there, I'm nearly 4 weeks post op and I can only manage half a sachet of readybreak. When I have eaten too much I get a really heavy weighed down feeling in my chest / upper tummy and it takes hours to settle... feel like you need a good burp but don't! Hope it makes sense. I am sick a lot still but just trying to do very tiny portions to keep it down. I suppose being only 3.5 weeks out it is expected.

Hope you are doing ok.

I am sure more experienced sleevers will be along in a mo to give you some more knowledge.
xx

Sound's a silly question,just wondered how all you experienced sleevers knew when to stop eating or drinking,should i just expect discomfort,pain,or wait until I'm sick,I only ask as I tried ready brek this morning making up 30g as packet directed,but I could only manage barely half

Hi kjb,

I'm nearly 4 weeks post op too, and although I'm still on liquids I know when I'm full/satisfied because I get hiccups and sometimes a runny nose. Weird I know.

Hopefully one of the experienced ones will be along soon :)

If you're being sick you've over done it. I get a cramp type pain in my tummy when I'm full and I get bored of eating but it took me a long long time to tune in to it.

I also know how much to serve myself at home so rarely over eat. I tend to have around 150g food.

My over eating/sickness tends to happen if I eat out.

Do you get a pain your chest? If so stop then and try to eat a spoon less next time so you don't get that pain.

Early days are all about learning. You'll get there.

Thank you so much Victoria that has helped a lot :).... will keep with the 150 gms max and see how I go. I think I was trying to put more in each time but won't now to try and control the sickness.

Yes it does feel like a pain in my chest which comes on after ten mins of stopping eating. I know I need to slow down eating too.. My bad habit in the past was shovelling it down like I was never going to get another meal!

Thanks again

xx

As you progress your swelling will go down and your capacity will go up.

As for eating fast. Try the 20/20/20 rule. Chew 20 times, wait 20 seconds between mouthfuls and stop eating after 20 mins.

I had to change this to 30 seconds between mouthfuls as I was so swollen at the beginning. And my capacity was so little.

I overate two times while eating out.
I felt sick and started to produce mouthsful of saliva (sorry, maybe TMI).
It probably happen because I ate too fast and didn't feel the fullness.
On the first couple of mushy weeks I also got a runny nose when eating only a little bit too much and I still get a stab in my back when drinking too fast.
Now I've learned my portions and they are far smaller than Victoria's. I can only manage about 75g grams (raw weight) of meats and 30g (raw) veggies. It's better with soups (about 200ml) but I was told to try and have solid meals.
Not drinking before, during and after your meals is the other golden rule with Victoria's 20/20/20 (mine is defo 30/30/30 at the moment).
It's a fast learning curve, don't worry!

This is great info for me, as I am struggling with the whole eating thing all together I'm now six weeks post op. And onto the normal food phase, as per the information the dietician has given me. When I was asked to lose 10kg before seeing the consultant for the first time, I used to measure and weigh everything and I always new where I stood with my intake. But when moving to to soft phase I found I was at a loss due to know fixed guideline s of how much to put on my plate but also being aware that I couldn't eat to much. I get confused too as my body can take something in larger quantities than others i.e. soups and baked beans. I always seemed to get the pain in chest/sternum after eating and on occasion like has been mentioned I get like a foam substance in my mouth as if I'm going to be sick but I'm not. (Sorry for the grotesque details).

We call that sliming Bally and Taz. Definitely a sign of eating too much. Bally remember I'm almost a year out so will be able to eat more than you newbies. It takes months for all the swelling to go down and as it does you can manage more.

Tazz I have no advice other than keep practising. I still get it wrong at times :)

Oh and make sure you are using a tea plate. It helps with portions.

We call that sliming Bally and Taz. Definitely a sign of eating too much. Bally remember I'm almost a year out so will be able to eat more than you newbies. It takes months for all the swelling to go down and as it does you can manage more.

Tazz I have no advice other than keep practising. I still get it wrong at times :)

Hahaha. Oh awesome, we sound like rejects of out Ghostbusters lol. Thanks for info Victoria sounds like I need to take a step back and re-assess my intake, it goes without saying then that could also be a reason why weight loss is really slow. I have gained two pounds it could be through constipation. But if I'm eating too much that will have an impact? Does that sound right?

tealovingsleever,as your almost a year out,I was wondering if there are any foods you cannot eat or struggle with,such as bread & red meat,crisps are another,have your taste buds changed?

Hahaha. Oh awesome, we sound like rejects of out Ghostbusters lol. Thanks for info Victoria sounds like I need to take a step back and re-assess my intake, it goes without saying then that could also be a reason why weight loss is really slow. I have gained two pounds it could be through constipation. But if I'm eating too much that will have an impact? Does that sound right?

Constipation is an ongoing battle! I'm off to boots today to see if there is something new to try!

I'd be surprised if you're eating enough to cause an actual gain but go back to basics, focus on protein and veg and get your liquid intake up!

tealovingsleever,as your almost a year out,I was wondering if there are any foods you cannot eat or struggle with,such as bread & red meat,crisps are another,have your taste buds changed?

Crisps are the devil's food, they are so easy to eat and never fill me up. Just avoid them. I can eat steak but only 80g and never overcooked so it's tough. I can eat bread but not too much. I can manage a small petit pain for lunch if I want to. I didn't have bread for a good long while though as its not the best thing for you.

I struggle with rice, pasta and noodles. They really fill me up and are carbs so I try to avoid them. Tonight I'll be making chicken pasta with 2 mini fillets and only 10g pasta. I just couldn't cope with more.

I can't manage jacket potato skin so don't bother even though its the best bit. It's so hard to digest I just get tummy cramps.

As for taste buds not really I'm just fussy now. If something isn't really good I can't be bothered to waste the space and calories on it. Really oily and fatty stuff turns my stomach but it always did!

My guidelines are very strict at this phase.
- 600cals
- 60g. prots (it's hard to fit 60g. prots in 600 cals so I supplement with a protein shake for breakfast)
- 2lt. water
- no bread (and no breadsticks, melba, crackers, pastry)
I'm tracking calories and prots on MyNetDiary.

My portions vary from 75g. of meat to 250ml liquids. Sloppy food fits better in my stomach than harder/dryer food (even chewed 30 times). I still have problems with cooked veggies and worst with the raw. As for fruit, I only manage very ripe melon, a few cherries, strawberries and bananas (that, unfortunately, are packed with carbs).

Constipation is under control after I read, here in the forum (but I can't find the post any more, sorry) about psyllium husks. It really works for me.

Constipation is an ongoing battle! I'm off to boots today to see if there is something new to try!

I'd be surprised if you're eating enough to cause an actual gain but go back to basics, focus on protein and veg and get your liquid intake up!

You may be right it's probably me over thinking it. It is probably constipation causing the issue. I guess because I spent so long avoiding certain foods i.e. cheese, milky drinks and other things that was considered a bad food choice. And now that I am now allowed to eat these things, it feels weird having them in my diet. I do avoid bread now where possible, also crisps, sweets and anything else that is normally considered a bad food choice. But when I see a weight increase my mind automatically thinks it is that type of stuff that I have been eating.

Yeah constipation sucks I hope you get on top of it Victoria. I have heard that an Aloe Vera colon cleanse is pretty good you can get them from most health food shops I have been using Movicol which works ok for me

I don't eat anything diet or low fat anymore but I know what you mean it takes time to get used to it. I tried movicol but couldn't get past the greasy taste. I got syrup of figs today so will see how that goes :)

I don't eat anything diet or low fat anymore but I know what you mean it takes time to get used to it. I tried movicol but couldn't get past the greasy taste. I got syrup of figs today so will see how that goes :)

This is probably the strangest request you have probably had but let me know how go (no pun intended) I know what you mean with the Movicol one sachet with water is manageable for me. But when you have to take more I often have issues swallowing it

Back