• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How does your plate look?

joanne7271

Shrink me please x
Ok, so here goes another thread, I gettin quite good on here lol

I read people saying about twenty, twenty twenty but have not caught on yet what they are meaning (feel really thick at the moment) :confused:

Also, about percentage of plate space to use for what section of food i.e. protein carbs, veg etc. Will I get this info from the hossie or is this just practice.

I also get confused when people drink protein shakes then eat protein too, does this not amount to too much

Trying to get my head round it before drastic surgery!

Its a minefield out there lol xx soooo confused xx

Hi Joanne. The 20/20/20 rule as I understand it is chew each mouthful of food 20 times for 20 seconds and make your meals last 20 mins then stop,eating.
I suggest that you transfer to eating off a side plate, which can always be put onto your dinner plate if you don't want to sit with a small plate, in order to adjust to the amount of food you have, fill half your plate with protein and the other half with veg or salad and a small amount of carbs. Eat the protein food first then veg/salad and only if you can manage any more eat the carbs.
Drinking protein shakes I.e Slimfast will be for when you are on the liquid stage after your op which could be for 4 weeks. When you move into the purée or mushy stages these can be replaced by protein in other forms ie, fish mashed with potato etc for the next eating phase. Rest assured that your medical team will give you loads of information regarding the various stages of eating and the time scales.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Old, I thought the 20 20 thing was the amount of food on your plate lol!

So half plate protein, thats alot but i suppose if you are using a little plate it wont be as much xx

Sorry got the 20/20/20 rule wrong, should be chew each bite of food 20 times, wait 20 seconds for the next and stop eating after 20 mins or something like this, in other words eat really slowly and take your time, it will allow you to get used to feeling full and as soon as you start to feel full, stop eating.

If you think of a small tea plate size and no filling it to Max or piling it up, you just couldn't eat it anyway.

Hi Paula , that's good info . I'm not very good on these forums but can I ask you please with that steak do you find it easy to eat and tolerate ? x

Hope this helps :)

Removed Image, best tell dietician Adrian Brown from Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham he is wrong :D :8855:

Last edited:
That's wrong Butterfly!

OMG, think I just started a revolution lol....... just shows how uncertain everyone is..........

Unfortunately hon yes it is. Needs to swap the veg and protein headings. That's fine for normal peeps but not for us post op.

Unfortunately hon yes it is. Needs to swap the veg and protein headings. That's fine for normal peeps but not for us post op.

Yve, is it half veg, and qtr protien and carbs?? confused, sorry x

Half protein, quarter veg an at most quarter carbs. Eat protein first followed by veg and then any carbs you have space for.

Hi Paula , that's good info . I'm not very good on these forums but can I ask you please with that steak do you find it easy to eat and tolerate ? x

It's fillet steak, so it's nice and soft. I can't eat rump, but fillet and sirloin seem to be fine. I can tolerate all meat and fish well. But rice and pasta are a different story.

I always eat off a small side plate. I have athird protein if it's solid ( can't manage more than that0 or half if it's cottage cheese or mince/quorn, bean chilli etc, a small portion of carb, maybe a tablespoon of spud or couscous, or 4 crackerbread and the rest salad or veg.
Xx

I have little restriction now and can pretty much eat anything. My dietician at my 15 week appointment said it was because the food I was eating was sloppy so things like veggie chilli con carne (vegetarian version) or salad with cottage cheese. I was following the correct ratio of carb, protein and veg but because it was sloppy it was not filling me up properly.. so in addition to the very good advice above I would add that you need to consider dry foods or bulky foods. The only thing now that seems to fill me up is boiled broccoli or wholemeal wraps filled with quorn and salad. I could eat buckets of soft foods...which equals loads of calories over the course of the day.

good luck x

Back