• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recommended foods for banders

cah-ching

Hi All,

Apologies for appearing overly negative earlier! :eek:

Yesterday (Friday) I was out with a lovely friend of mine and said that if I won the £82M I'd have a bypass. Then by the end of the night I changed tack and said "no I wouldn't change, I'm determined to have success with this thing".

MeJulie made a WONDERFUL post on anpther thread about being excited about her band and how much she cannot eat now. FUnnily enough .. I do feel the same way .. I feel very proud when I have to nibble at a starter to save space for nibbling my main course ... I feel EXTRA chuffed when I've had to leave food on my plate because I can't eat any more and dessert is out of the question ... it's great to literally eat like a bird :D

Anyway ... I know I've not done brilliantly thus far in my journey - mainly down to me and my eating habits which I am now trying to rectify and am in someways enjoying - for instance i'm a little obsessed with the calorific and fat values of products ... I only decided to take this approach last week, but as I say I'm enjoying it.

So to the reason behind my post ... I'm still confused by the idea of eating certain foods and laying off others and chewing. For example I've been told to chew food at least 10 times before swallowing - something I try to do as food does get stuck. However when i chew crunchy food e.g. swedish crisp roll (yum) it turns to mush, so no longer crunchy so forms the same consistency of other non crunchy foods, so what is the theory there? lol.

Also can people possibly list the foods they avoid or have been told to avoid and conversly crunchy foods they enjoy and eat and have been told to indulge in?

Hope the above made sense as it did in my head!

Thank you cc

Excellent thread Cah-Ching, I totally and utterly sympathise with how agonisingly slow progress can be..it IS really hard to keep up momentum...also we have people having some sort of unrealistic expectation that now we have had a band , we will somehow melt away before their eyes. So we put pressure on ourselves to not appear like we're failing and often dismiss how well we ARE doing and what fab progress we really ARE making.
I was hoping that banders could really join forces and do a lot more active positive encouragement of each other....certainly needed and much appreciated!
Dry crunchy foods...
So I sometimes have dry low Gi cereal...like a weighed measure of Lizzis Granola (can get it online or from most supermarkets) which comes in various flavours, is packed full of awesome nutrients and is really yummy.
I either have it dry or sometimes with yogurt, It is really filling.
I think the theory behind the chew chew is two part, one you have to chew to make sure things don't get stuck as well as making sure they filter through the pouch, and two because I think slowing the eating speed right down helps you register that yes you have had enough.
Pre band I would just inhale food...no way did my brain have time to send a signal that I had had enough food in a sitting...I would chuck it down and then after , feel sick and uncomfortable because I had gone way past the point of having enough.
I think as you have the band in for longer , you naturally tend to eat slower by force of habit...that in itself helps even when you need more restriction.
I would always be first done at meal times...now I always am last and most of the time my food is cold!
Eggs always take ages to empty into the bottom stomach...before my defill I just could not have them as they always bunged up the stoma and I could never keep them down.
A good tip for helping take the edge off your appetite is to have a few nuts about 10 minutes to 20 minutes before a main meal.
Like 5 or 6 toasted almonds or 3 or 4 walnut halves, also a slice of ham works in the same way.
Like bypassers we have to make sure what we do get down in nutrient dense..and luckily most nutrient dense food is exactly the kind of stuff that takes a long time to filter out of the pouch and is the best choice health wise anyway, lean protein, crunchy raw veg, nuts etc

I was just going to add that I am still trying to get out of the emotional eating myself and have found some really good things recently, theres a good audio book and some hypnosis , if you are interested I would be more than happy to give you links to download them x

Last edited:
Hi Neen,

Thanks for replying to the thread. I decided to start the post because I wanted more badn themed threads and thought it'd help me and help others.

I will make an effort to post more since I want to be successful. I'm determined to be successful because I can't afford a bypass (even though I could afford it when I was deciding on what surgery to have).

I hope more people who are successful banders post to help.

As for the foods; I have quaker oats granola which is lovely (and low fat aparently). I too have it with yoghurt to make it more dense. :) Lately I've been having beans and chicken sausages or beans and krisprolls as a change to eating cereal - which I've been enjoying. I find my maximuscle protein shake (Promax Diet) in the morning is really good and although it is a complete slider .. :D it really does suppress my appetite especially as I find it hard to eat first thing in the morning.

I look forward to hearing from others :)

CC

This looks good for breakfast
Breakfast Parfait

Ingredients
  • 16 ounce(s) yogurt, fat-free, Greek-style, plain
  • 2 cup(s) cereal, flax
  • 1 cup(s) blueberries, fresh or defrosted frozen
  • 1 cup(s) strawberries, fresh or defrosted frozen
  • 4 teaspoon honey
  • 4 teaspoon nuts, almonds, slivers
  • 1 medium orange(s), peeled and thinly sliced
Preparation
In 4 small bowls or large cups, place 2 ounces of yogurt to line the bottom. Layer 1/2 cup cereal, 1/4 cup of each berry, and 1 teaspoon of honey. Cover with another layer of yogurt (2 ounces per bowl or cup each), and top each parfait with 1 teaspoon of almonds and 2 to 3 orange slices. Serve cold.
Number of Servings: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 210
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 169 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 37 g
Dietary Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 14 g

Breakfast Parfait - that sounds delicious! WHere did you find that?

I've been on Amazon for weeks trying to find post-WLS cook books with no success. I did find a Good Housekeeping (or I think it may be BBC Good Food) cookbooks which are cheap, small and look really good and lists each recipies nutritional content to may invest in those.

On account of your first post on this thread, I decided to be honest with myself and update my ticker. Back in FEbruary/March I was up to 22st 10Ibs (144Kg), so rather than count my op day weight (139kg), I've counted my heaviest weight pre pre-op diet :)

Thanks for the encouragement. May be I'm doing a little better than I thought?

Hi Neen,

I've just noticed your addendum! Yes I'd be most interested in the hypnosis downloads. Funnily enough two days ago I dug out my I Can Make You Thin Paul McKenna CD to listen to in bed. Every little helps! :)

I'm staying at my friends house at the moment, so before I went to bed given the topic of discussion here, I decided to check my emails and revisit stuff I was sent from my (then) dietitian at Surgicare, I found this:

Breakfast

Eat as soon as you feel able in the morning – do not miss breakfast. It avoids your body entering starvation mode, thereby promoting usage of stored fat as energy

Include a carbohydrate food (e.g. cereal) + fruit if required

Choose from:

Any non sugary crunchy cereal (e.g. cornflakes, branflakes, shredded wheat) + milk + sweetener/fruit if required

Or fruit + low fat yoghurt + 1tbsp. toasted oats

Or a cereal bar – aim for <100kcals/bar (e.g. Alpen Light, Tesco Healthy Living)

Or 1 poached/boiled egg or sardines/pilchards/mackerel or ½ tin beans + 1 slice wholemeal toast (only 2-3 weeks after your first fill; try a small amount of toast first to assess your tolerance) + light spread

Avoid:
Porridge, weetabix, rice crispies (all pass through the stomach easily)

Smoothies (better to have some fruit)

***Leave 4 – 5 hours before lunch***

Lunch

Include a carbohydrate food (e.g. crackers, couscous, small jacket potato), a protein food (e.g. 1 egg, 25-50g Quorn or similar, 30g low fat cheese) and ½ the meal should be vegetables/salad/fruit

Choose from:

2 crackers/Ryvita/Crispbread + 2tsp. low fat cheese spread or reduced fat pate or ½ tin tuna mixed with 1-2tsp. extra light mayonnaise or houmous (see below)/1 tbsp. shop-bought reduced fat houmous or 1tbsp. spicy bean pate (see below) or smoked mackerel pate (see elow) and 2 inches cucumber & a few cherry tomatoes

Make 4 servings of mackerel pate by placing all ingredients in a food processor & blending until smooth; alternatively mash together. Ingredients: 150g peppered smoked mackerel, ½ tub (125g) extra light cream cheese, 1 tbsp. creamed horseradish + 1 tbsp. lemon juice).

Make 6 servings of houmousby placing all ingredients into a food processor; alternatively mash together. Ingredients: 400g can chickpeas, drained & rinsed, 1 clove garlic, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. tahini paste

Make a batch of spicy bean pate by placing all ingredients in a food processor & using the “pulse” action until blended but still chunky. Ingredients: ½ can red kidney beans (drained & rinsed), ½ can cannellini beans (drained & rinsed), ½ red onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 chilli (deseeded if you want less heat!), handful fresh coriander, 1tbsp. tomato puree, salt & cayenne pepper to taste

Or Salad: 30g low fat mozzarella/45g cottage cheese/1 peppered mackerel fillet/½ tin tuna or salmon/1-2 eggs + lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber + 1-2 egg-sized boiled potatoes/120g cooked (50g dried) pasta/1-2 crackers

***If you use dressing, choose a low fat one and keep it to a drizzle***

Or Jacket potato (eaten with the skin) + 30g low fat cheddar cheese/2-3 tbsp. beans/30g cottage cheese/½ tin tuna + 1-2tsp. extra light mayo + salad

Or 1 poached/boiled egg or sardines/pilchards/mackerel or ½ tin beans + 1 slice wholemeal toast (only 2-3 weeks after your first fill; try a small amount of toast first to assess your tolerance) + light spread

Or Pitta bread sandwich or tortilla wrap + low fat cheese/reduced fat houmous/vegetarian cooked meat substitute/½ tin tuna + 1-2tsp. extra light mayo + salad

Or Pasta salad (prepare before work) – 50g dried (120g cooked) pasta + roasted cherry tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, sweetcorn, mushrooms + parmesan shavings.

Avoid:

Soups

Super Noodles/ Pot Noodles etc.

Avoid adding dressings/ sauces to foods

Avoid mayonnaises/ salad creams as much as possible- if necessary use the low fat varieties

***Leave 4 – 5 hours before evening meal***

Evening

Include a carbohydrate food, ideally wholemeal (e.g. crackers, couscous, small jacket potato, new potatoes, pasta, bulgur wheat, noodles, rice (try well separated and non-sticky first), a protein food (e.g. 1 egg, 60g beans/lentils/pulses, 30g low fat cheese, 50g Quorn/soya mince/plain fish/chicken) and ½ the meal should be vegetables/salad/fruit

Choose from:

1 fish cake (made with mashed potato, spring onion, lime, chilli, ginger, garlic & lemongrass) + 1-2 portions veg or salad

Or ½ grilled tuna steak + lime juice & chilli + 2-3 small new potatoes + 1-2 portions veg

Or 50g Quorn/soya meat/finely diced chicken + peppers, courgettes, spring onions, mushrooms + 50g dried (120g cooked) noodles

Or 2 tbsp. cooked couscous + roasted vegetables + 30g goats cheese or feta

Or 60-70g mixed beans made into a burger (mashed together with onion, seasoning + 1-2tsp. milk) + 6-10 potato wedges (no burger bun) + salad

Or 2tbsp. cooked bulgur wheat + 2tbsp. mixed beans + salad

Or 2-egg Spanish-style omelette with finely sliced potatoes, peppers, tomato and mushrooms

Or 1vegetarian sausage + 2 egg-sized new potatoes + 1-2tbsp. green beans

Or Spaghetti Bolognese made with Quorn/Linda McCartney/Soya mince (300g pack should make 10+ portions), coarsely diced carrot, peppers, courgettes & onion + 120g cooked (50g dried) pasta

Drinks

Everyone has slightly different fluid requirements depending on factors such as gender, lifestyle, and body weight. 1.5 – 2 litres of water and beverages every day is sufficient for most people, however you will need to increase this the more physically active you are or when the weather is warmer.

Suitable drinks:

Water or “No Added Sugar/Sugar-free” flavoured water

“No Added Sugar/Sugar-free” cordials

Tea, coffee, fruit teas

“Highlights” or “Options” hot chocolates

Fruit juice (keep to ½ pint or less per day)

***Avoid fizzy drinks***

Snacks

Aim to leave 4-5 hours between eating. However if you find you are going longer than this or need a snack try:

A portion of fruit.

Or A cereal bar (<100kcal).

Or 1 raw carrot/½ pepper/1-2 sticks celery/1-2 inches cucumber & 1 tbsp. low-fat dip (e.g. houmous, guacamole, sour cream and chive)

Or Packet of Snack-a-Jacks or Ryvita Minis

Or Handful of olives

Or A small handful of sesame seeds

Or A handful of plain (not salted/sweet) popcorn

Tips & Hints for Success

Also they included this:

Hints for success

· Plan your meals and shopping list in advance.
· Choose healthy options where available e.g. low fat cheese, low sugar/no added sugar drinks, plainer Quorn-type products (not the breaded/battered varieties).
· Avoid adding extra fat to foods during cooking. If you must use oil in cooking, use olive or rapeseed oil and use the spray oils.
· Remove any visible fat from foods before cooking.
· Avoid adding extra salt to foods.
· Try to have some of each food group on your plate – this will provide you with a more balanced intake of nutrients.
· Aim to eat five portions of fruit and vegetable each day- one portion is roughly what fits in the palm of your hand, e.g. an apple, 10 grapes, 3 tablespoons peas, 2 broccoli spears. A portion of dried fruit is approximately 1 tablespoon. One small tumbler of fresh fruit juice counts as one portion, however no more than this. Also a portion of baked beans may be included- choose reduced sugar varieties. N.B. Potatoes do not count in the “5-a-day”.
· Consider taking a linseed oil supplement to obtain omega-3s, which are thought to be protective against heart disease. These are the types of fats that are also present in oily fish; linseed is the vegetarian alternative. You could even try a sprinkling some linseeds in a salad.
· Aim for high fibre foods to aid feeling full and to help keep the bowel healthy.
· Avoid chewing gum as this can create trapped wind and if you accidentally swallow the gum there is a risk of blocking the stoma between the pouch and the rest of the gut.

Ok lovey I will see what I can do.
The recipe is from Jillian Michaels online club, I am a member til December. There are calculators on there for working out your ideal cals etc so if you want me to run your details through I would be more than happy to get your ideal cal allowance.
I have that Paul Mckenna thing too, it was working good but I did not stop when I was satisfied last time I used it. Typically I twisted the rules to accomodate my overreating problems. It is a really good method for helping normalise our relationship to food though and I still use the hypnosis.
I found some interesting stuff just this week so I will definately try and pass on what I found useful. I'll pm you some stuff.
Also video games are fantastic for distraction...I have a heap of em if you like x

For anyone thats interested, I use Carotino oil in my cooking. I was put off using it because of the colour and assumed it would make my food taste different, but my mom and dad really are into it and they were so right. It's great! Look at the benefits:

>A delicious, healthy alternative to olive oil and other cooking oils
>Uniquely rich in natural pro-Vitamin A and Natural Vitamin E
>High in Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids
>A good natural source of Lycopene and Co-enzyme Q10
>100% natural and cholesterol free
>Ideal for all culinary needs, including baking, roasting, frying and salad dressings

(Carotino - Red Palm & Canola Oil)

I no longer use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (so I have 3 5-litre drums going to waste!)

Ok lovey I will see what I can do.
The recipe is from Jillian Michaels online club, I am a member til December. There are calculators on there for working out your ideal cals etc so if you want me to run your details through I would be more than happy to get your ideal cal allowance.
I have that Paul Mckenna thing too, it was working good but I did not stop when I was satisfied last time I used it. Typically I twisted the rules to accomodate my overreating problems. It is a really good method for helping normalise our relationship to food though and I still use the hypnosis.
I found some interesting stuff just this week so I will definately try and pass on what I found useful. I'll pm you some stuff.
Also video games are fantastic for distraction...I have a heap of em if you like x

Deffo! I'd love to know what my daily cal allowance is. I've run it through Food Focus, but I'm not sure if it's correct. I can PM you my credentials so to speak, just let me know what I need to tell you.

I need your age , current weight in pounds, height and activity level. I usually work it out for sedentary eg sitting all day. I will work it out for ya and add the links as well :)
This is my plan of action this week...
more focusing on the emotional eating .....

Write everything I eat in a food diary (but not tot up the calories)
Each time I go to eat something ask myself the following :
"Will this help me lose weight this week?"
"Will this taste nice enough to justify postponing my weight loss or risk a gain?"

Also I will be trying to ask myself...
"What am I doing right now to help me lose weight or improve my fitness?"

I will brush my teeth and use a strong mouthwash straight after each meal to calm my tastebuds down and put myself off extra unnessary food

I will (NO EXCUSES) walk for an hour a day...this can be broken down into 30 minute or 20 minute bursts

I will use the rowing machine and kettle bell in quiet moments

Thanks for posting all that info for us!!! I would only disagree with a couple points on the food advice , from personal experience
The porridge is actually really filling and satisfying. I have Oatso simple with lots of cinnamon and never get hungry between breakfast and lunch.
Also I have big soups , some of which are low cal (The huge can of beef and veg is only 200 cals for the lot) and they always fill me up...sometimes they have got stuck!
I would not have carbs with the evening meal..the job of carbs is mainly to give you energy..I have my carbs earlier in the day when I need energy, not at the end of the day when it has nothing to do and could turn to stored fat.

Thanks for posting all that info for us!!! I would only disagree with a couple points on the food advice , from personal experience
The porridge is actually really filling and satisfying. I have Oatso simple with lots of cinnamon and never get hungry between breakfast and lunch.
Also I have big soups , some of which are low cal (The huge can of beef and veg is only 200 cals for the lot) and they always fill me up...sometimes they have got stuck!
I would not have carbs with the evening meal..the job of carbs is mainly to give you energy..I have my carbs earlier in the day when I need energy, not at the end of the day when it has nothing to do and could turn to stored fat.

Hi Neen,

I agree with you on the porridge thing and told the dietician the same thing. I put nutmeg (which is good for metabolism apparently and tastes nice) blanched almonds and dried cranberries/blueberries or prunes on the top of my porridge, this makes it taste yummy, helps it bulk out a bit. I too think porridge in itself is quite filling - love it and wont stop having it!

I need your age , current weight in pounds, height and activity level. I usually work it out for sedentary eg sitting all day. .

I only ever work mine out of sedentary as well so I'm under no pressure to exercise!

OK so my details: young, fit and sexy! Only joking!!

Weight: 297Ibs
Height: 175cm (5'9)
Activity Level: Sendentary

Thank you!

Thanks ! Yes definately we need to keep posting...it has been the bypass show for too long!! (by the way bypassers, we love you!!!)
LOL better clarify! What I mean is...I think by the very nature of how a band works ...we get banders posting pre-op and at the very beginning then when they hit the realisation that weight is not dropping off by the bucket load and they still feel like they can eat willynilly...shame and disappointment and sometimes resentment sets in and they disappear into the back ground or go away completely...(hands up who's done all of the above...*puts hand up*)
I think the more banders who stick around and post through the crappy stall times ...the more support we all give each other , then the more successful banders we can become together...:D

Last edited:
Here you go Cah_Ching, I couldn't pm you so

your magic number is 1828 calories a day.
Your magic number is calculated assuming that your goal is to lose 2 pounds a week. To meet this goal, the best meal plan calorie level for you is 1,600–1,900.
Once you’ve met your weight-loss goals, it’s time to go into maintenance mode. To maintain your weight, you should aim for 2828 calories a day.

How is your magic number calculated?

(Well, it isn't really magic!) Weight loss is simple math. You must burn more calories than you consume. You've got to know how many calories go in and how many go out!

A. How to Calculate Calories Burned
The number of calories you're burning (your Active Metabolic Rate, more commonly known as your Total Energy Expenditure, or TEE) varies from person to person and takes into account three factors: what your body burns doing nothing (known as Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR), your basic daily activity level, and the amount of exercise you do on a daily basis.

1. Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Your BMR is what your body burns doing nothing. Your BMR is affected by your gender, age, height, and weight.
  • Gender: The more lean muscle tissue you have, the faster your metabolism is. Men are the winners here — women tend to have less lean muscle and thus slower metabolisms. (Not fair, but true!)
  • Age: The younger you are, the higher your BMR. (Still not fair!)
  • Height and weight: The bigger you are, the more calories you burn. (Well, that’s not so bad; you'll slim down faster!)
Women's BMR formula (with your values inserted):

655 + (4.35 x 297 lbs) + (4.7 x 69 in) – (4.7 x 33 years)

2. Daily Activity Level
This describes your basic activity on any given day. Those calories are accounted for in your daily activity level factor, which ranges from 1.1 to 1.4.
You scored 1.1, which is considered physical activity

3. Exercise Expenditure
Okay, this is the number of calories you burn from exercise on an average day. Since you’ve signed up for my program, I’ve calculated that number for you. By sticking to my circuit-training workouts, you will burn 500 calories a day.

Now that you have the numbers, you can find out your Total Energy Expenditure (TEE).
To calculate your TEE, I plugged your values into the following equation:
x 1.1 + 500 = 2828

B. How to Calculate Calories Consumed:
It's pretty basic. Everything you eat has a caloric value. To stay within your number of calories, you need to know what you're eating (that includes reading food labels) to stay on track. Be sure to record the calories you consume each day

C. How to Calculate Your Weight Loss:
A pound equals 3,500 calories, so if you want to lose two pounds a week, you'll need to burn an extra 7,000 calories a week (or 1,000 calories a day).
Since you burn 2828 calories per day, simply subtract 1,000 from that number to arrive at the number of calories you may consume daily, i.e., your magic number:

2828 1,000 1828*
Now that you know how many calories you need to eat to lose two pounds a week, find out what kinds of foods you should be eating to fuel your workouts and weight loss efforts!

As you can see you are perhaps underestimating the amount you can eat and probably in starvation mode a bit maybe?

Hi Girls,

Great thread - let's keep this one going.
My dietitian showed me a book yesterday written by a cookery write but she was also a gastric band patient. looked excellent with lots of recipes. I have ordered it.
Here's the link:
Find out about Carol Bowen Ball, founder of bariatriccookery.com | Bariatric Cookery

Fantastic!!! I've seen bariatric cookery books before, but they are always from the US so the weights and measures are always different. I will order this when I have to cash! xxxxx

Thanks ! Yes definately we need to keep posting...it has been the bypass show for too long!! (by the way bypassers, we love you!!!)
LOL better clarify! What I mean is...I think by the very nature of how a band works ...we get banders posting pre-op and at the very beginning then when they hit the realisation that weight is not dropping off by the bucket load and they still feel like they can eat willynilly...shame and disappointment and sometimes resentment sets in and they disappear into the back ground or go away completely...(hands up who's done all of the above...*puts hand up*)
I think the more banders who stick around and post through the crappy stall times ...the more support we all give each other , then the more successful banders we can become together...:D

I completely agree! I also put my hand up. However I'm determined to make it work ... I need to I can't go back to Cambridge Diet or weight watchers etc.

We WILL do it and become the bastions of successful weight loss with the Band if we set examples, more people will stick around.

I do like your goals for the weeks by the way ... very inkeeping with my own:

eat well
exercise
think about what I'm eating etc.
I also like the idea of not eating carbs as my last meal ...

when do you eat your last meal? at the moment mine tends to be around 9pm probably not good eh?

Back