• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recommended foods for banders

Neen

WLS Moderator
LOL what about fruit and nuts is not good? Whole natural foods are good for you love x

Neen

WLS Moderator
I likey the look of this!

NUT CRUNCH
2 ounces walnuts
2 ounces pecans
2 ounces whole almonds
1 tablespoon sunflower kernels
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, 3/4-1 ounce
1 tablespoon flax meal
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4-1/3 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
Pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Coarsely chop the nuts. You may need to chop the almonds separately because they are a bit harder. It's ok to have some tiny crumbs, so don't discard them; put them in a bowl and stir in the sunflower kernels, coconut and flax meal. In a small bowl, mix the butter, Splenda, salt and vanilla; add to nuts and toss to blend well. Spread the nut mixture on a baking sheet and bake at 300º for about 3 minutes. Stir well, then bake another 2-3 minutes, watching them closely. Stir again and bake an additional 3 minutes, if necessary. You want them slightly toasted but not too browned. Stir in cinnamon. Let cool, then place in a zipper bag or other container and store in the refrigerator. Sprinkle on yogurt or eat as a snack.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Can be frozen With granular Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 130 Calories; 12g Fat; 3g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 260 Calories; 25g Fat; 6g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

Rolanda

What a great thread. As a newbie who is not sure what type of surgery will be offered it is really helpful to read about food recommendations. It deffo helping me get into the right mindset.
Theresa x

Neen

WLS Moderator
Hiya Theresa! Welcome xxx Well if you have any band related queries we'll happily try our best to answer xx Please check out the other band threads too as we are trying to gather together a bit more as we are fewer in number :)

http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/130804-we-can-do-too.html

Also this might be of interest to you as well hun regarding what we eat after recovery and sloppies are done and we get back to real foods.
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-recipes-forum/103934-band-daily-menus.html

On a mission

Wow, what a great post guys. Many thanks for the tips :)

cah-ching

Feel as if my band isn't right. I've been hungry on stuff I feel satisfied by (granola & yoghurt) - I had some this morning ans was hungry by 11:30am!

Had my crunchy Swedish krisprolls with philedelphia- that came back up. Crisps seem ok :eek:

Had rice noodles this evening before I go out to Zumba ... but that was a bit of a struggle at first (big mouthfuls may be). I wonder if I stretched my pouch? I have no idea what is going on!

cah-ching

I haven't stepped on the scales yet ... too scared! I ate loads over the weekend ... a few sliders, lots of wine also lots of delicious salad ...... I need to start on the exercise again ... so I'm forcing myself out to Zumba tonight.

cah-ching

yeah ... may be flying has messed me about a little too. :)

I've another fill on Saturday ... may be I'll speak with Yasamina about my concerns ... 19St 8Ibs is my goal! Gotta get there!!!!!!

Neen

WLS Moderator
Sounds like a good Idea...I vaguely remember something about swelling during flying but I have not personally gone abroad for years, let alone banded!
Do you have to pay for an xray? Or do you get barium fills anyway?
I was worried I might have stretched my pouch before , especially when I was at less restriction and could eat tons..
I asked and was told I would have to pay £50 because my team were happy with my progress and didn't feel one was warranted. I would have liked to see for sure that my pouch is not all humungous at some point, just for my peace of mind.
I would just like to know what's going on in there sometimes!

cah-ching

Morning All,

I posted this on the We Can Do It thread;

How is everyone here today?

I had withdrawal last night as I couldn't access the site... :( anyone else have this?

Must admit I wretch and puke most days ... yesterday was good because I was so careful and foods I ate were OK. However some days I can't tolerate foods I'd eaten happily for weeks :( e.g. my krisproll incident on Tuesday. Help?

How do I know I haven't damaged the band? I'm a tad worried now.

So this morning for a change i'm having two chicken sausages with beans and a Protein shake for breakfast. I'll let you know how I get on.... just about to take the sausages out of the oven.

BlueDiamond

Hello Everyone

Wot a gr8 thread. Just one thing I would like to ask.....I noticed that in some of these post snacks have been mentioned, I was always informed by dietician and other banders that me as a bander shouldnt be snacking full stop. (i.e) was told to have 3 meals and day and no snacking in between....or is this something else that I been told to do and its wrong???? P.S I had scrambled egg for the first time this morning ( this had been mentioned in this thread also) and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed it I only managed about 5 tbps of it and I am stuffed lol.....................I had too stop eating it coz if I had ate any more of it I would have been doing a hewey lol......But it was lush........ Once again laydee's a Gr8 and informative post (as ever)......Julie xx

cah-ching

Hi Bluey

I too was told snacking is not allowed. However if one is feeling hungry even after drinking something I think snacking on a satsuma say isn't too bad.

Neen

WLS Moderator
That's a good point to raise Julie, I sort of view the band as a back up in the background as I have never really felt much restriction.
I base my weight loss success on making sure my blood sugar doesn't get too low and by trying to get my metabolism quicker.
By following advice that is geared to everyone needing to lose weight, I have lost more..
I use my band to stop me bingeing but If I eat too little I go into starvation mode because I have trashed my metabolism with years of yo-yo dieting.
If you eat light and healthy every 3 to 4 hours you are less likely to binge or have something unhealthy.
This is how it works best for me and you must do what you feel is right for you, a lot of dieticians don't actually give out sound advice.

cah-ching

Thanks for clearing that up cc xxx Has the supplement gone down yet ???

Yes ... ! strange as I took more and they are ok. May be I didn't take it with enough fluid?

Just eating my two sausages now eaten one and has gone down a treat - small mouthfuls and slow.

I'm thirsty now though!!

cah-ching

That's a good point to raise Julie, I sort of view the band as a back up in the background as I have never really felt much restriction.
I base my weight loss success on making sure my blood sugar doesn't get too low and by trying to get my metabolism quicker.
By following advice that is geared to everyone needing to lose weight, I have lost more..
I use my band to stop me bingeing but If I eat too little I go into starvation mode because I have trashed my metabolism with years of yo-yo dieting.
If you eat light and healthy every 3 to 4 hours you are less likely to binge or have something unhealthy.
This is how it works best for me and you must do what you feel is right for you, a lot of dieticians don't actually give out sound advice.

excellent