• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How dou stay on the stupid pre-op diet??

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
So i had a call from my nurse at HW and she told me im meant to be on 800cals a day starting now to shrink my liver.....

ive just polished off a small tub of ben and jerrys.

IM SO CRAP! i get hunry and jittery and a terrible headache then get cranky with the kids..feel fed up and reach for easy tasty food. how did u guys stick to pre-op diets.... im desperate for the ability to be good.....

i know it sounds self piteous but thats not the reason im posting...i genuinely want some kick up the butt/motivation techniques. i cant see myself on 800cals a day for the next 6 days....im useless!!

im stupid i keep thinking....ah well u arent a really high BMI so realx and dont worry.....its stupid really isnt it.... my BMI is high...i am huge and everything i wear is bleurgh-ville! why i think ill be ok cos my BMI is in the 30s i dont know... need the thing to shrink not feed it more!

pass the duct tape!

Try one of the very low calorie diets, there are loads on line, best priced one I have seen is Avidlite HiPro but I think Holland and Barretts do a version, W8 is quite a good one, should keep to the 800 cals that way, hopeless trying to do it with food well for me anyway

I only managed 3 days of pre-op diet. But, you are better than me, pull your socks up young lady, start as you mean to go on, Get a bloody grip, get on the slimfasts!!!
Hope that works! (that was tough love btw)
xxx

Come on Magic! .. positive thinking you can do this! its only 6 days! .. Break them down a day at a time! plan your breaky and your lunch slimfasts sound the way to go .. and plan a meal! .........

You can do this! if the surgeon opens you up and finds your liver to big youll be zipped back up and sent on your way no band! .. come on girl you CAN do this! ... we are all here for ya! ...

get some paper and a pen! Write all your pros for having this op and some goals etc keep yourself busy :)

go girl! ..............xxx

you can do it! If you have to then chuck out all the food you can't have to stop you from eating it. Or tell the kids to tell you off if they see you eating anything you're not allowed. Write down that list of pro's and cons and stick it on the kitchen cupboard. Break the day down into segments and congratulate yourself when you manage a few hours without breaking the diet. Go onto some online shops and take a look at all the summer clothes. Think about how you could be wearing them next summer and looking great, rather than sweating away on these hot days. Pop some sugar free ice pops into the freezer too.
And lastly, for each day you manage put a big red tick on your calendar. You're one day closer to the op!

Drink loads of ice cold water , if it's sunny and warm like it has been around here, then it will be a lot easier.
Sugar free lollies to help stop cravings
Really strong sugar free minty gum...not much tastes nice after chewing that.
Brush your teeth and mouthwash after meals to kill off your appetite
Read the wish list and when I'm slim type threads on here
Use tonnes of ice in your slimfast (if you are making it at home and have a jug blender)
I use the powdered one with a dozen ice cubes and it comes out lovely like macdonalds shake mixture and I can usually get 2 pints of it (the best bit is because of all the crushed ice it's mainly water)

Come on...you CAN do this! If you dont = no op/open surgery! Not really a choice this one. Keep picturing that goal, stock up on lots of sugar free liquids (diet coke really kept me going as it kind of filled me with gas too so I didn't feel that hungry), make lots of sugar free jelly and sugar free juice ice-lollies and plan your meals well in advance. If you've only been told to do it for 6 days then you are very lucky and can definitely do this.

Keep stong :)

You have had some great advice here. If all else fails I will be round to:whoopass:.

You know you can do this and WHY you need to do this. We are all here to support you. Stay strong!

tranquil x

Come on Magic - You know how important it is to have a lovely healthy liver to wow your surgeon with.....you don`t want to make him waste his time and have to zip you back up again...its only 6 days - not 6 weeks like some peeps have had!

Get a grip hun x

Love Kat x

OMG!! i dont know where to start...blooming heck u guys are the BESTEST! this thread is awesome. im gonna have to figure out how to print it so i can stick it up on the fridge!

i went to asda after reading mixmans post...only one i read before i went out and his tough love echoed in my head. resisited doing anything stupid and bought big salad pot which i had. have a killer lack of food headache at the mo but i think i got so many tips today from here! woop...should be easier with all this added help.

have PMd u sarah but will look at holland and barret

annoyingly tomorrow and sunday am on a weekend trip with the in laws...so will have to adapt above points! but will stick to them....dont wana be zipped back up again a la no band! booo!!

yes and u r right...ppl do this for 6 weeks...i sound like such a big baby! haha....thanks for the support and tough love.. love ya all x

Hi sweet, stay strong, you can do it. I'm on day 8 keep thinking of the end goal & all those lovely clothes.
Drinking loads of water after a few days you defiantly feel better. Try to keep busy.
Chin up babe xx

A couple of things that helped me:
Telling my son that if I asked for one of his sweeties/crisps he had to say No mammy you're on a diet (he loved it, cheeky sod).
I cleared the cupboard of anything nice, but didn't want to deprive Charlie so bought him lots of ice lollies that I disliked but he loved.
I froze portions of food for hubby in advance so I didn't have to cook for him xx

you can do it hun.....no matter how small or big you are, everyones liver overlaps the stomach to some degree....it really has to shrink hun or they will not do it......got every faith in ya xx

Go for it MB.

I struggled a bit too and kept thinking to myself at first that people who are bigger than me obviously have bigger livers so when they pre-op their liver will only get down to the same size as mine....THIS IS NOT CORRECT

It doesnt matter how big you are or how fat your liver is, when you restrict to low carb diet you quickly go into ketosis and this process uses up the 'stuff' in your liver and causes it to shrink.

Ketosis took me 2 days to get into (2 days of hell) but when you are there, you dont get hungry at all.

If you have ever done cambridge diet or atkins then you would know all about ketosis.

I followed a very low carb diet for the last 5 days of my pre-op and i was ok.

I had a cambridge shake (from my left over supply) for breakfast & lunch, then at dinner time i had a meat or fish salad followed by sf jelly.....easy!

Good luck hun, you need to do this or on the day of your op you will panic that they wil open you up, see your liver hasnt shrunk, stitch you back up and wake you up with bad news....that would be GUTTING and prolong the start of your journey.

Keep going and dont forget this is your choice as you want a better life, and you have paid for this youself!

Wow ...just thank you so much. each person i am tryuly greatful. been reading these replies to my husband and we both are like OHHHHHHHH! so stupid we had no clue as to all the biochem and anatomy of the procedure (and ive done medical biochem at uni!!)

thats it guys im defo sticking to it...i did from yesterday. sarah's sent me her diet sheet and its fab!! so am gonna stick to that......defo do not wana be stitched up and told to jog on! no way!! wana start this journey and it needs me to stop whinging and 'man up'!! haha

im super focused today!! bring on the shrinken liver! woop

thanks all of u.... seriously i cannot thank u enough :)

Back