• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Work...

SleeveGirl

Hi Everyone :)

Quick question... How long did you take off work after the op?

I had the bypass. I was of 9 weeks but may have been okay to go back after 4.

Really, that's a long time - I'm hoping it'll be more like 2 weeks lol! Luckily I can work from home :)

2 for me. I was fine after 1 really.

That's great, hope I'm the same :)

That's really good, can stop panicking now :)

What did you take to work to eat? Soups & Protein shakes?

I was on puree after 2 weeks so smash and cheese, wasnt a fan of anything else! after that soft food which was half a jacket pot with cheese, beans or tuna. Don't eat the skin though it hurts!

I didn't bother with shakes after the liquid phase.

That doesn't sounds too bad actually, fingers crossed I'll be on puree by then :)

I teach so was on my feet all day. Plus with the way school holidays are it ended up being 9 l and d recommended six weeks as it was a physically active job.

I work in admin/accounts/sales, so I'm sat at a desk all day :)

What do you teach?

I'm a nurse, doing 12.5 hour days, I only sit down for my break, lol. I'm on 2 my 7th week now, think it's going to end up at 9 or 10 weeks.

I don't blame you - best thing i did was not going back until good and ready. By the time I went back I was established on solids. I also went back to light duties.

Heya, band, two weeks, heinz baby food egg custard with rice is divine omg. Ambrosia custard, slimfast, horlix, weetabix.

Yum. Xxx

fjsinc & Yvessa - You both had a Bypass? Maybe the sleeve has a shorter recovery time? :)

lousarah - Lol, I do love custard, never though I'd be eating baby food again... Hope it's nice :)

I was off for 2 weeks and am able to be active or not most of the time in my job. I had a bypass.
Don't think it says what you are having but if bypass need to go careful with some custard and baby food due to sugar content and not a great thing to start off your 'new' life with, in my humble opinion! Soup and protein shakes are a healthier choice and less likely to cause you to dump plus get the head set for the future.
Good luck!

I think it's more likely the type of job we have, very physically demanding. Also as I work for the NHS I have a occupational health team available to me that are there to ensure workers are ready. Where I work coming back too early is frowned upon more than needing time off in the first place.
Two of my colleges who both had the sleeve were off for 11 weeks each.

Ultimately it is not the healing that has been the problem (my incisions were fully closed at 2 weeks). It's the tiredness and the severe reduction in stamina. Because feeding and hydrating become more of a challenge, I need to be confident I can get all that I need in during my working day. I work on an acute medical ward, not a lot of free time, not a lot of rest opportunities.

Thank you Sar2567 - I'm having the sleeve - You are exactly right :)

fjsinc - It is frowned upon to have 1 day off at my work let alone 2 weeks, or even 11. As you say you have a very physically demanding to job (and massively important) so I guess you really do have to be 100%.

Back