• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Work...

Hi I work in a Hosp and occ health help advise on time off and a graduated return. Ask your manager to refer you. However don't rush back!

Thank you Sar2567 - I'm having the sleeve - You are exactly right :)

fjsinc - It is frowned upon to have 1 day off at my work let alone 2 weeks, or even 11. As you say you have a very physically demanding to job (and massively important) so I guess you really do have to be 100%.

I would agree. Don't rush back as the first month can be really hard.

After 2 weeks I was able to do most of my normal routine (work etc) but still got tired and emotional at times. No lifting til 6 weeks though for fear of popping a wound hernia!

Thank you everyone, I do find it hard to take time off but I can work from home as well so that's a plus :)

I had a Bypass and was signed off for 6 weeks originally but I developed an infection in my left port site that took aaaages to heal so I was off work for about 2.5 months in total. I think everyone was just making sure I was completely healed before I went back due to my diabetes and the physical aspects of my job. I went back on a phased return and that really helped too.

My provider suggested the heinz egg custard with rice - dairy. Protein. with protein shakes and weetabix n complan for brek and dinner it makes a nice change.

I hope I have a quick recovery and be back at work by the end of two weeks as I will be taking annual leave so being on sick is not an option to me as I've got a very nosey boss who thrives on knowing ppl's business and gossiping about them in her little clique of so called friends. Therefore only my husband and gp will know.

Same Fragglerock, I hope so too. Only a handful of people know about my surgery, no friends just Hubby, Mum, Step Dad, Dad, Step Mum & Grandma. They are the supportive people in my life :)

Awe I won't be telling family as I know my dad will talk me out of it! Depends how I feel post op as in if I get trouble with stitches / wounds I may tell my sister as she's a nurse so she will be able to keep an eye on me if needs be as she only lives 2 mins away from me.

You just need the people around you that you want and you are happy with :)

My Mum is a sister in the operating department and my step dad is a surgeon - so I am hoping they will keep an eye on me post op just in case there are any complications! :)

Hi Everyone :)

Quick question... How long did you take off work after the op?

I had a bypass & was off for 5 weeks... 2 reasons for this 1st was my surgeon told me no driving for 3 weeks & 2nd was that I ended up back in hospital for a week after 2 weeks due to a gallstone attack.
My surgeon did actually recommend 4 weeks off & I was lucky that work allowed me it after an OH referral without it affecting my sick leave x

Are you ok now beckaboo?

Oh I'm nearly 2 years out now & no probs whatsoever :) had my gallbladder out last July as GB surgeon wanted my bmi under 35 before he'd operate :) x

Oh I see :) Glad everything was ok! I've spoken to my surgeon and he's said I can drive after 7 days and go back to work after 2 weeks - if I'm up to it! :)

Oh I see :) Glad everything was ok! I've spoken to my surgeon and he's said I can drive after 7 days and go back to work after 2 weeks - if I'm up to it! :)

Careful with the driving, with abdo surgery the dvla says you shouldn't drive until you can comfortably do an emergency stop... think that's why my doc said 3 weeks.
Just make sure you listen to your body, I think ultimately we're all different & heal at different rates :) xx

Was wondering if and how long you can't drive for after the sleeve op.

Thanks Sleevegirl but will double check with provider I choose to use.

Definitely best to check with your provider Frag :) x

Beckaboo that's probably right, we are all different. I know my hubby will probably be wanting to drive me everywhere anyway - he's very protective!! :) x

My nurse at preop said its up to my insurance. I phoned them they lol d and said its up to doctor. Surgeon said not before five days deffo due to anesthetic and id be sore until seven ish. He was right I moved the car day five and steering pulled my stomach even tho we had power. Glad I only moved it 20metres. Lol. Xxx

Back