• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long were you on liquids post bypass?

Yoyo-nomore

Hi everyone:

Intrigued to hear from others. My surgeon's advice post bypass is 2 weeks of liquids diet only (week one clear broths only, week 2 opaque liquids allowed), then onto purees for a month ....

But, the more research I do I see that isn't a hard and fast rule for all bypassers. I see some going on to purees after a few days, others staying on liquids for a month.

Would mind sharing what advice you were given?

Thanks
yoyo
(My update: Day 5 post op, completely pain free, am running about like normal, back to work, playing with kids in garden, but am dying to have a yoghurt and do have the runs!)

Actually I have to amend my own post! eek... what a twit

Re-read the surgeon's letter to my GP and contrary to what my optimistic, food loving brain had heard him say in the hospital the advice is

"Clear liquids for 2 weeks, followed by thick liquids for 2 weeks (to prevent disruption of staple line and anastamosis)"

Anyhows -- question still remains and very keen to hear from others

Wanted to say well done on you fast recovery. You are right that the instructions vary from doctor to doctor and hospital to hospital.

My surgeon directed 2 weeks on liquids, 2-4 weeks puree & then 1-2 soft food. I did the whole transition in about 6 weeks, by week seven I was on solid food.

HTH,
Nic:p

Well im 6 days post surgery, and saw my dietician on day 1, and was actually surprised when she said from day 2 that i can have liquids and sloppies, such as weetaix. Day 2 i started with a yogurt.

Im having soups, cottage cheese, pureed veg, yogurt, low fat rice pudding, weetabix etc.

This is for 4 weeks, then i go on to soft, crispy and mushy like shephered pies that havent been pureed etc. Im on that for 4 weeks then i go onto the regular bypass diet, when i feel ready, and slowly introduce different foods.

I had a pureed fish in parsley sauce today , and had two sppons and i think it was too thick, and it didnt go down well. I had a tiny sip if water, and 15 mins later i was ok. Didnt eat any more though.

I did notice that every surgeons post op diet varies greatly.

It is interesting everyones experiences with the post op diets and how they different so much
Yo Yo you are doing soooooooo well am so pleased for you hope I am like that
Im fedup 1981 you also seem to be doing great and it would seem that our own bodies seem to take over and let us know what we can and cannot tolerate.
Great stuff though keep it up you guys

Love n hugs Jay xx

Walsall Manor hospital has us on 28 days fluids (incl. clear soups n broths, Oxo, Bovril) and sugar free jelly. Should have 1 pint of milk a day too plus a Fortimel (yuk!) or Slim Fast shake.

No fizzy drinks and no alcohol for 12 months.

I am three weeks post op (open procedure) and am very mobile. Not driving yet though and deffo not running!

Back