• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How NOT to use your bypass tool

Alia

I’ve thought long and hard about posting here but now think it is the time to share my experience although it’s a pretty raw one, I feel ready now to do so.

There are people here who will know me and know of my struggles and what I have been through but I see so many new names I think this will be useful for people considering Weight Loss Surgery of any type.

I’m not going to go into a real detailed history of how I became the size I was or how it affected me but suffice to say at the age of 26 I weight 33 stone. WLS was not that common in those days and I would say in comparison to what is done now, it was fairly easy to get it. I went into it very blindly, thought it was going to be the magic wand that would solve all my weight issues and I would have a new life and be a new person.

I had what was essentially ‘stomach stapling’ and initially lost a few stone, can’t remember how much now but it was pretty much recovery weight loss, not change of life style weight loss. Not long after my surgery, probably months only I started to become quite unwell when ever I attempted to eat any food with substance – Rice, Pasta, Meat, Chicken, Fish, Bread, Raw Salad, Vegetables and so on – basically anything that did not turn to mush. I would eat something – not necessarily excessive amounts but I would become quite ill hours later – would end up vomiting a kind of black acid that would burn me and could last for days – not surprisingly I stopped eating any of those foods. I had moved to the other side of the country to where I had had my surgery done, money was very tight, I had 5 very young children to take care of and never even went back for my first post surgery review. I dealt with my food issue by totally avoiding anything that caused me problems and survived on a diet of ice-cream, jelly, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, mashed potato – anything that would slip down.

About 5 years ago I did try to change things and lose weight by attending SW and in 3 months I lost 6 stone but all I ate was mashed potato and beans, clearly could not be sustained over a long period of time. I came off the rails and went back to what I was eating before my effort and gained all of that weight back and more.

In 2008 I moved to a different GP and disturbed by my surgery and me eventually opening up and telling him what was going on and how I was eating (a very painful consultation for me, tears were flowing but it had to be done) he referred me to see Mr Pollard at St James in Leeds. After lots of investigations Mr Pollard was not able to see what the problem was so decided to do an explority surgery and see what he could do when he was in – during that surgery it was found that a band that was meant to be around the top of my stomach had slipped down to the bottom so I was able to eat foods but they were n’t able to exit my stomach and would sit in the bottom turning to this black acid substance that I would then be vomiting out for days. It was pretty delicate surgery as the band was completely knitted into the tissue but he was able to cut it out and do repairs and give me a RNY Gastric Bypass. I also had 16 hernias that no one had any idea I had.

I lost 6 stone pretty quickly but as I was told to start to introduce solid foods into my diet I began to panic and my old phobia returned, I could not convince myself that I would be able to eat those foods again after the suffereing I had had for around 10 years. Old habits returned and again I went back to my mush – basically crap! Obviously the weight loss stopped and I began to gain back what I had lost.

I was a regular poster here till that point and out of shame and embarrassment I stopped coming and just watched all my weight come back on – I did come back once hoping I’d be able to make another effort to use this tool that I had been given but failure after failure let me back to my little corner, totally ashamed and embarrassed and in total denial.

In February this year I had a miscarriage – it was a total shock to me, after having 6 children I never imagined I would suffer one – I asked the midwife what had caused it and she said they would never know for sure but it was highly likely that my weight was a factor. It was a complete slap in the face for me – though a highly emotional and distressing experience it made me wake up!

2 weeks later on march 15th I joined SW again and started my final weight loss journey – it was and still is a journey of discovery – I’m finally for the first time ever actually learning to use the tool that I have been given. For the first time in years and years I’m eating things I would have been petrified to eat – Rice, vegetables, pasta, bread, very small amounts of meat and chicken and so on – I’m eating meals, full meals!! Obviously I do have restriction, I can’t ‘freely’ eat, I can only eat what my pouch allows. It’s like a light has been switched on and I can finally see what I should be doing and that I should have been doing this from when I got my tool in November 2008. That was 16 weeks ago and I’m 59 pounds down, feeling fantastic and have a whole new attitude towards food. Yes I still have ups and downs, none of us are perfect but when I have a bad day it never leads to what I would have eaten before I started my journey. I was a chocoholic – since I started 16 weeks ago I’ve had 3 chocolate bars – the last 2 weeks ago and I bought myself 2 whispas, ate half of the first, was not enjoying it at all so threw it in the bin and gave the other one to my son. My tastes have changed. I’m eating more than I’ve ever eaten in years but all good things, things that work with my tool and things that are aiding my weight loss.

I wanted to share this story with people as I’ve been reading a bit about how people go into WLS blindly and think its going to be a majic wand that that is going to solve all of their problems – it’s a tool to help us lose weight but it won’t work alone, we have to work with it and make it work for us – its not the quick fix that a lot of people opposed to WLS seem to think that it is – oh how I’ve suffered but there is light at the end of the tunnel and clearly I have a long long way to go but I won’t detract anything from my success so far as its taken a lot of hard work on my part and I deserve every single pound I’ve shed so far. I am currently 11.5 pounds from the lowest that I got to after my surgery and 11.5 pounds from being the lightest that my husband has ever seen me – its working, this WILL be my last, but longest journey ever as it is a journey that has to last a life time.

Given my time again would I have still had the surgery (first one) I can’t answer that but its irrelevant, I did and here I am.

Thank you so much for sharing yr story... I hope that now you'll be leading the life you've wanted.

Very well done for everything you've been thru & all that you are now accomplishing. xx

wow what a story!

I'm so glad things seem to be working out for you now, fingers crossed you have gotten rid of all your demons and you can start be be happy with who you are and leave the past behind you :)

Good luck with the rest of your journey, I truly hope its a happy one!

Jaffa

Alia, that is a truly honest story. I am sitting here feeling like I really know you and can only wish that you got some help earlier but then sometimes these things happen for a reason.

Good luck for the rest of your journey, and may it be healthy one.

Alia,
i would just to say thank you for posting that and telling us your experience well done for trying again and i wish you alot of success for the future.
Please dont feel ashamed or embarrassed and please continue posting updates
xxx

Hi Alia, and welcome back. Ive often wondered how you were getting on.

Thanks for posting. As you say, many of us when considering WLS are blinkered with regards to what might go wrong. I hope what happened to you will not happen to anyone else, but if it does they may have a better idea of what has gone wrong.

Good luck for the future, and I hope you achieve all you desire. x

It takes courage to admit failure but there is no shame- I'm glad you are now on the right path and I wish you every success. And we'll be here to support you every step of the way. Take care, x

Id just like to say I wish you every success in your journey, you have been open and honest in the hope it might help some of us here who are pre-op and I really appreciate that. Thankyou, and good luck with your new positive attitude. :D X

Alia i too wish to thank you for what must have been a very emotional and brave post for you to do....I'm so sorry you lost your baby xx

I would like to say that i don't consider you 'failed' your first surgery i think your first surgery failed you.

I'm so very happy for you that you have sorted yourself out mentally and are eating well and losing the weight now. It sounds like you are finally after a long time enjoying food and still losing weight and that is what we all aim to do.

I wish you well in the final legs to your journey and am 150% convinced your husband will be a very lucky man indeed when you reach your final destination!

All the luck and love in the world go out to you and your beautiful family xxx

Bloody hell Alia, you don't do things by half do you? Everybody on this site should be encouraged to read your post and see the highs & lows of your weight loss. Congratulations on losing so much weight, even though it sounds the hardest way possible! I hope your health improves after all that you have been through, take care, Paul x

Welcome back hun - you have been missed. Good for you on coming back and good for you for getting on track x

Welcome back Alia, your posts are always so inspirational because you tell it like it is. You haven't failed at all you have been badly let down with a lack of professional support for your issues. You had to deal with these as well as your old issues with food. I am so glad that you are back on track and I wish you all the very best for the future. Sending you a big hug and loads of love.

Don't be a stranger, we are always here if you need anything and there is a huge slimming world section on the main minimins forum.

Hope the rest of the family is well, I bet haydar is even cuter and checkier than ever. x x x x

a nice honest story, thanks for sharing, just proves that WLS is not the be all and end all of sorting out a weight problem, glad you're back on track, and continue your good work ;)

Alia
what a intresting read, you really have had been on a rollacoaster, glad your back on track your amazing

Thank you for posting. Your story has made me feel less guilty. Whenever anyone comments on my weight loss I feel guilty and feel obliged to tell them that I had wls. I always seem to feel that I need to justify the loss. However reading your story has given me the knowledge that wls IS a tool. I know I knew it before but now I KNOW it. I'm not making any sense so I'll stop rambling.
xxxxxxxxxx

Back