• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HOW PAINFUL IS BAND OP ??

loughpet

Hi,

I have been reading on here about pain after op !! I hope it's not too bad cause I am having my done on a Thurs and am due back at work on the Monday!!

I have had 2 c-sections and major surgery laproscopically last year to remove some endometriosis (surgery lasted 3 hrs )

Surely it can't be nearly as bad as this - I hope !!

i will be honest it is painful, it felt to me like i been hit with some thing hard but as i said on Jo's thread it does improve, id take at least a week off after banding as you will be very sore and bruised, going back to soon you may feel sleepy quickly, whats your job? x

Last edited:
I've been told by several people now that banding is actually more painful then a bypass, believe it or not. But pain is subjective and everyone has a different threshold so it's difficult to say for certain.

Hi there,

Yes it is painful.

There is no point thinking it won't be. I think you are being overly hopeful to be well enough to return to work after 4 days.

The average return to work is after 2 weeks to allow your body to fully recover from major surgery.

Caz banding isnt major surgery its a easy less invasive proceedure than sleeves or bypasses, most back to work with in a week or 2 less time needed off than a bypass,it is and can be very painful though still, 1st time i felt like id been hit by a truck the 2nd wasnt really as bad the bruises looked worse than they felt, but i guess everyones pain thresh hold is diffent as to what the individual can tollerate but going back to work after 4 days is not realistic x

Last edited:
I had mine done on 17th May. I did not feel so bad in hospital, came out the next morning, until I got home!! The hospital beds can be set at the right height for you, and can be adjusted to all angles. The chairs in our lounge were hard to get out of and when I got to bed and slid down, I cried I was in pain. I did tell myself that each day I was getting stonger and better than the day before. The hospital said I could drive after 3 or 4 days, but to be honest that is pants it was more like 5 or 6 days. The hospital that did my op signed me off for 2 weeks, to be honest the first week was painful and the 2nd week I could do slightly more. Even now I still have to be careful. You do need that time to recover. My scares are healing nicely and still have huge black bruises over my tummy. I too had 2 x c-sections and I have to say this is worse. I had my band done first thing in the morning, with my c-sections I was up and about 3 hours afterwards, with my band I was not aloud out of bed until 6 am the next day, and that was hard to stay lying on my back for that amount of time. Sorry to be blunt, but that is they way it is.
I did have thoughts afterwards, was this the right thing to do, but it is.
Good luck
Nicky;)

The most painful thing I found about it was the wind pains, they are absolutely dreadful :sigh: and lasted me roughly 2 weeks!! Other than that I tolerated it ok :)

ok so its not as drastic as a bypass or sleeve but it's still proper surgery, you go under for about a hour, sometimes longer, they make 4-6 incisions, they attach a prothesis to your stomach, cut through muscles to make a place for the port...it hurts. No getting away from it.

All I am saying is, that there are risks with this operation, as we are overweight and it can also need to go to open surgery in a small amount of cases.

There is no point sugar coating it, sorry if I have upset anyone. I am just a total realist and honest about what I experienced and I know a lot of others took time to heal too.
:eek:

The wind pain shocked me!! It hurt so much in my opinion. I have had 2 c sections as well (one emergency) and yep I found it painful all right! I don't know if that was due to being really big for a band patient , and also very immobile etc but I felt pretty bad after mine. It's hard to answer this one in all honesty..each of us can only say what we went through personally as we are all 100% unique in how our bodies react and how we experience pain.
It is going to be uncomfortable but it will pass and then the real work starts!
You'll be fine I'm sure

Caz its good been a realist pre op patients ask the questions we must answer them truthfully,just as when i ask questions about my upcoming surgery id rather be told the truth rather than have it dressed up to be something its not. im certainly not upset as the truth is a good thing x

It was painful but not as bad as I was expecting. I have had two c-sections which I recovered from very quickly but I definitely recovered from the band quicker! I would describe it as discomfort rather than real pain.

I remember thinking I had been hit by a bus when I first came round from the anaesthetic and the wind pain was very uncomfortable but it didn't last long and I did feel much much better within a day or so.

The only thing I did find was that I was very tired and wobbly for a good week or so which I think was the affects of the anaesthetic.

I took two weeks off work and I am glad I did. I felt absolutely 100% fine by the time I went back.

It's painful

Two days post op- it's painful I can tell you! But...... surprisingly I'm sitting here and not regretting it so it's all about what you want. I knew I had tried everything and I didn't want to be a size 24/22 anymore. Even on the pre-op diet I lost 7lbs then put 2 back on whilst still following it. Impossible. I know it's going to be hard work but it feels like a very positive life choice. Still no getting away from it tho - it hurts. Thank goodness for paracetamol

Everyone is different, it does hurt. Like Caz said you will have at least four incisions, including one large one which is used to move the shrunk liver. Then there is the wind pain - ouch!

I took a week off work and was fine but you wont really know how you are until you have the op. Will you be able to take more time off if needed?

Its completely different to any gynea op as all work is completed further up, wounds are near to your bra etc so can get uncomfortable.

Good luck. Im sure you will be fine x

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies.

I am a teacher so might be able to swing an extra few days as not on holidays till July.

Thanks

You should be able to take extra off as the school normally have insurance for teachers and this kicks in after 3 or 4 days (I work in a school too) You will have to be careful when going back, not sure what the age range of the children. Also, if you have been signed off for 2 weeks your head should tell you not to come back in!!
Nicky x

Hey, yes its painful but i found soluable solphadine plus helped wonders. I had infections for about 4-5 weeks after so that also made it more painful.

It will be so worth while for you when its done.
Also as the others have mentioned, going back to work only a few days isnt really a good idea. Speak to your work and allow your self at least 2 weeks post op before thinking about going back to work.

Good Luck and take care x

Back