• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I apologise upfront for this...

I'm sorry for the graphic nature of this question but I need answers! I am 12 days post op and all is going well but I have not pooed for 3 weeks:rolleyes:
My mother is freaking me out saying that if you don't use your bowel it can die, she works in the theatres where they do operations to fix these so I'm guessing she knows what she is talking about.
So what I am asking is do I just let nature run its course or do I take something to speed things along? If so do you know what is easy to take and works?

Sorry if you were eating your breakfast. :D

Hiya,
If I was you I would contact your team and ask them what you should do and what you can take. I know they said to me it can take time to get things going again but it was only about 3 days for me. I am sure you will be fine but always better to ask the experts.
Good luck xxx

I would get in touch with your team , I did not go for 1 week after surgery but still have to take senna every day and I am 5 weeks post op

So no movement a week before surgery either? Depends what's normal for you, if you wasn't regular before this is reflective. I no that normal for me is twice a day!! 3 weeks and id be freakin! But I did share a ward with a girl who said she went once a week!

Speak to the team is the best advice.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I have no idea of the medical implications of not opening one's bowels but I do know that if I don't "go", after a few days I feel uncomfortable and bloated. After my op it was five days, and I eventually cleared the blockage with rather too much lactulose. Don't ask me to explain the gory details but it was..er..dramatic.

Have you done anything to help things along? Lactulose does work if you take enough of it. But after 3 weeks I'd seek medical help.

I needed help as do most people...check what you're allowed to take and then normal ish service will be resumed!

My dic is loading me with drugs as I've only been once in 2 weeks and they were going to give me an enema in hospital as I hadn't gone for a week and I'm usually daily I would definatly speak to your gp or your team today u need something to help u go x

My dic is loading me with drugs as I've only been once in 2 weeks and they were going to give me an enema in hospital as I hadn't gone for a week and I'm usually daily I would definatly speak to your gp or your team today u need something to help u go x

:giggle: (sorry im in a childish mood today) :D xxx

I am 5 weeks post op I seem to go about once a week, Which is not what I was used to, They gave me some laxative to take if I find i am not going to the loo at least once a week.

Last edited:
I would get some help hun !!!
I went 3 days post op and now every 2-3 days, i drink loads of water and have weetabix which i swear helps xxx

Everyone at all stages is different!I used to go a couple times a week then once every day pre op.Now I go every other day one year out.Keep up the fluids,keep moving and eat well.
Senna liquid is great I used it once early on.We have to get the right balance and time will show you what is right for you.Did your team not give you a laxitive as you left hospital?Maz x

I would pay a visit to your GP, from what i remember things were different post op for me but I put that down to not eating enough. Not drinking enough can also have an effect.

I hope you get it sorted asap.

Contact your GP sooner rather than later...failing that, 2xbisacodyl tablets tonight should sort it but it won't be pretty! I have an ongoing problem with constipation due to low volume food intake- I regularly take 2 bisacodyl 5mg tabs when I feel the need :) If everything is a bit...er....compacted....you can buy something called a micralax enema(which is a mini enema) or some glycerin suppositories which sort of lubricates and eases the problem.
Good luck... x

Thanks for the advice. Following what you all said I have contacted the sec of my surgeon and am waiting for them to get back to me.

I'll let you know what they reccomend. X

Agree with all previous posts. Had a similar problem yesterday rang hospital told them the stuff they gave me was not working. They told me to get some glycerine supposititories from my local chemist. Did that & within 15 mins went very comfortably.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi

I am 7 days post op and have not been at all, but then again I am hardly eating anything being still on puréed food. Mind you before bypass I used to eat a very high fibre diet and still only managed about once every 3 days, I don't feel full or bloated so don't know if I am supposed to be going yet.

Paul

Think of a mincing machine, you put in ingredients and out comes minced ingredients, yes?

The more you put in, the more you get out.

The less you put in, the less you get out, and all the ingredients you've already put in are still in the mincing machine, drying out and getting harder to move.

That's the digestive system.

Pre-op you've emptied you mincing machine totally, then kept it empty for a long time, it's in shut down.

You then introduce a little food and a little drink, then a little more and a little more, the problem is the little isn't enough to get the machine up and running.

Now you'll need something to help soften up the hardened pluggish mixed ingredients that haven't been pushed through by the next lots of ingredients.

Your bowel doesn't die. It can get lazy. It can break down.

But without a serious underlying disease or major physical reason it won't die. unless your whole body goes that way too.......

This is a very frightening journey and, as I've found, nine times out of ten a search of these pages will answer your question, but no-one, without hands on you and your medical notes will ever be able to 100% answer a medical issue. (I've been in practice for years and I still can't do it 100% of the time with notes and patient in front of me!)

Best wishes and I hope it all comes out well ;)

Back