• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I have been excepted for gastric banding on the NHS

Hi Caroline
I come under Chorley and South Ribble PCT, my Dr sent off the letter on 27th December (after I'd been to see a consultant in November) so that took about a month, then when the funding letter came through the Dr's surgery took a while sending off all the paperwork to the hospital. I then received a letter from the hospital and it was a wait of 8 weeks for that. Now just waiting for the date.
Are you going for a band or bypass?
I'm not 100% sure of my weight at the moment but it's about 22 stone at the mo.
As for Hope Hospital, I'm sure there are people on here that have or the other site I am on so I'll check for you.
xx

Thanks nic - will send you an e-mail in a bit. Don't really use msn am totally new to all this chattin on line - so will send you a traditional e-mail with "my story".

Which PCT do you come under. I am under Bolton - but will be (fingers crossed) having my surgery at Hope Hospital. Have you heard of anyone that has had their op there - if so how did it go??

Can I be really nosey and ask what your weight is (or how much you hope to loose) - tell me to bog of if it is too personal - I understand. I am around 16 stone so hoping to loose about 5 or 6 stone - would love to know how long it will take for the weight to come off.

Thanks Caroline x x x:)

Thanks nic - you're a star !!!

Think I would prefer the bypass from the research I have done. What factors pointed you in the direction of bypass?

It is so frustrating playing the waiting game. i have actually written to the director of finance at Bolton PCT - just to give it a more "personal note" (and hopefully harder to say no)!!!! I will send you a copy of it when I e-mail you.

How is your friend doing it (is it sara??) has she had bypass or band - where has she had it done? how much is she hoping to lose?

Caroline x x x

Hiya
I read lots of things on here and on the Classic Hospital website which pointed me more in the direction of the bypass and also my consultant said there had been quite a few complications with the band becoming dislodged and you have to have fills etc. The weight loss is quicker with the bypass too.

Sara only went in for her bypass yesterday, I haven't actually met her in person just on this website, but hoping to meet up with her in the future, here is a link to her thread have a read through that hun http://www.minimins.com/surgical-we...ood-immune-diets-my-gastric-bypass-story.html

Nic x

nic- have just read through the link you sent me of the run up to saras op - it gave me butterflies.

Never had anyone to speak to about this before that totally understands - cant wait to speak to her to find out how she is doin.

You all sound really great - really supporting each other - it is really heart warming.

Caroline x

Hiya - yes I've found that too and have met up with a couple of people and like you say we are all in the same position and totally understand what issues each other have had and can relate to etc. Another good one to read is Zoe's (Bondgirl) xx

Cheers for that hon - will have a good read through. Gonna go now need my beauty sleep - had a heavy night last night. Big barbecue with lots to drink - make the most of it while i still can. :D:D:D

I have sent you an e-mail would be good to hear back from you.

Thanks for a lovely welcome - you have all been lovely.

I will be back - you have been warned ;)

Caroline x

No problem I'm off to bed too will read your email soon and of course I'll reply, keep in touch xx

hi - am brand new here myself. Am currently waiting for my local PCT (primary care trust) to let me know if they will give me funding. My doctor and consultant have all said I meet the NICE criterea and am suitable for surgery. My doc requested funding on the 9th May - I am waiting for the postman everyday now. How long did it take for you to get the approved funding. Thanks Caroline x

Funny story really, at first i was refused as even though i have a high bmi (over 50) i have NOT got diabetes but about 3 months later i recieved a letter from the pct to say the criteria has changed.....so i went back to my GP and he sent a letter to the surgical team staight away, i have been told by a consultant that i should not have recieved the letter i did, as it should include sleep apnea which i don't have and it should also include "benign intercranial hypetension" which i do have, i politely said that as i have been sent a letter then that should mean that i am still able to recieve this treatment............and i smiled sweetly lol but yes i have been excepted and i quote "This lady would be a good candidate for gastric banding" :)

hi kat! sounds like real good luck u got that letter, accidently or otherwise :D i hope u get a date soon. they dont do anything here in devon on the NHS so it sucks! i might fight for tucks and whatnot later on if needed tho lol . i look forward to seeing how it goes for you and hope it doesnt take too long. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi kat! sounds like real good luck u got that letter, accidently or otherwise :D i hope u get a date soon. they dont do anything here in devon on the NHS so it sucks! i might fight for tucks and whatnot later on if needed tho lol . i look forward to seeing how it goes for you and hope it doesnt take too long. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ha ha no me neither! I'm suprised by Devon not funding anything, I hope one day that the GP's and PCT/Goverment realise soon that gastric surgery COULD help the NHS as there would be less people with type 2 diabetes and less people with high blood pressure and other weight relatated illness or disability that need monitoring regularly that takes up nurses and docters time and resources, so could it be, in the long run, a good thing for people that have tried every diet and drug available with no sucess to be given this procedure? Without all the hoops to get though first!!!!

sorry........rambling, i think its time to put the soap box back under the stairs lol

Kat can I borrow you soap box before you put it away please?

Thank you.

*climbs up*

Although gastric surgery is expensive, it is cheaper than treating the lifelong effects of obeseity. When someone developes diabetes they get all their prescriptions for free no matter what the prescription is for. How much does that cost the NHS? How much does it cost the NHS to treat the joint problem that most of us suffer with? I costs a damn sight more than the surgeries do so why do they not yet realise this?

I agree that there should be hoops to jump through and it shouldn't just be a simple case of:

Patient - "I want a gastric band"
Doctor - "Ok then we'll book you in a week on tuesday"

There should be a series of diet attempts etc and there should be a process to go through but the funding should never be an issue. And just to be really teasy about this, how come the NHS will fund the lengthy amount of surgery for gender reassignment without funding being an issue when it's not life threatening but they aren't so keen to treat obesity which IS life threatening.

*climbs down*

Thanks Kat, you can put it away now

When someone developes diabetes they get all their prescriptions for free no matter what the prescription is for. How much does that cost the NHS?

*Takes back soap box and climbs on*

I get free prescriptions as i have an under active thyroid, which CAN be an effect of being over weight!!

So there you go.
*Gets of soap box and puts it away*

Shall we just leave the box where it is and take it in turns?

Why do the NHS seem to discriminate against people who are overweight? Alcoholics get their livers worked on without having to apply to a panel for funding so why should people who like their food have to go through it?

that is brill news well done, im new on here to , i need to lose ten stone to be acepted for ivf on the nhs. so i started my own diet of 500 kcals a day in a hope to get rid of the weight quickly. good luck wiv your opp

Back