• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I Have An Idea!. Private Consulatation Could Help?

Snowcrystal

I have had my thinking cap on again so bare with me please....It might be long winded.

I was reading 'kphorrox' and 'holly' dilemma about being turned down even though they appear to meet their PCT criteria for surgery.....

You choose a surgeon privately, you get your consultation and you get approved for surgery...now the same surgeon operates with the NHS but only then does this strict criteria set in........

What I'm saying is you could have the same surgeon privately as with the NHS but the outcome can be very different.

So, therefore, Is there any reason why a person seeking WLS surgery cannot get a private consultation and take the approved outcome to the NHS?...Surely this is proof...As the surgeon could be seen to a hypocrite...or negligent to a patients needs.

Could this help?

~hugs~

Last edited:
Hi Snow
Good thinking its worth a try , I hope to god they get some luck soon because its so unfair. They should write to the PM Brown at Downing Street . I wrote to Tony Blair when he was in but they told me to get in touch with the N.Ireland MP`s and I wrote to all the parties you never know it might help . After all that's what their get payed for . Take care .
Margaret xx

Hi Snowcrystal

Great thinking, I do not see any reason why someone cannot have private consultation and then get there referral and use it to get funding on the nhs........the only thing I was thinking is...........would a surgeon be willing to seek a patient as a private one if they had no intention of letting that surgeon actually perform the op as a private patient. I know of course the patient does not have to disclose this when they book the private op, but I am just wondering how the surgeon will react if once all the info and agreement was under way for the patient to reveal/say that they want a referral letter for the nhs.......am thinking that they wouldnt be best pleased.Anyway thats just me thinking out loud....

All the best - MeJulie xx

dont mean to put a dampner on things but i wrote to my MP and all he did was send me criteria and the reason why my hubby had been turned down! very dissapionting really but good luck if you go down that route and as you its worth a try and can do no harm.
Good luck
Tinkerbells.gif

i would try anything but i wouldnt want a surgeon to get annoyed by me as i feel like i would be tricking them

I posted the question above and thought I should at least give this theory some reality so I have just asked my surgeon’s (private) secretary if I could have a private consultation with him even though I am going to have a consultation with him through the NHS eventually.

I explained that until my husband was made redundant recently we were pursuing the operation privately...I have been referred by my GP to him and that we would be happy to pay for a private consultation if his decision would remain the same both privately and when through the NHS.

She said that although a private consultation would not expedite the NHS waiting times for the consultations or the operation itself...she said his decision would remain the same, therefore I would at least know that I was going to be accepted for surgery or not.

She said that the other secretary (NHS) I spoke to before was rather optimistic with the 3 months time scale from one-2-one with the surgeon to the surgery, and she said that at the hospital where I would be having the surgery operates a 24 week rule from decision to surgery, so I could have my surgery within the 24 weeks and I could be lucky to get it earlier rather than later.

She also said that if I were fit for surgery and anaesthesia he would operate within this time frame. I got the impression that the wait is longer if they know prior to surgery that you will definitely be an HDU patient...that makes sense to me.

She answered everything I needed to know, she has put my mind at rest with regards to this...Because I dreaded a long weight (Freudian slip...lol...i mean 'wait') just to find out if and when I get it.

She suggested that I hold off on making a private consultation until I attend the group meeting next week; she told exactly what would happen there and that he will be giving a talk on the surgery and that I would have a chance to talk to him afterwards...She will also be there.

So, to all those who are having difficulties either being turned down or a long lengthy wait this might be a way you can at least get an answer ahead of the waiting times.

Hope it helps.

~hugs~

Last edited:
what pct area are you?? there was a meeting in mancester that i really wanted to go to but got let down at the last hour for baby sitter so if anyone knows when there is another please let me know.im just so disheartened by it all as i know i am a good candidate for surgey and everytime i call or write i just get no no no friends and family are starting to write letters about me.
do you think they all go in a file about me or binned

i would try anything but i wouldnt want a surgeon to get annoyed by me as i feel like i would be tricking them

Kerry this is not tricking the surgeon at all...You are not attempting to jump the waiting list or become a priority by doing this either. What you would know is that you meet the criteria for surgery in the first place and this would help your case...Your surgeon might have his hands tied by his PCT so you could be helping.

I know we are all so different in our requirements for surgery but at least if you got a 'yes' privately...it would be very difficulty for them to refuse what would be granted otherwise...

~hugs~

wtg.gif

Kerry this is not tricking the surgeon at all...You are not attempting to jump the waiting list or become a priority by doing this either. What you would know is that you meet the criteria for surgery in the first place and this would help your case...Your surgeon might have his hands tied by his PCT so you could be helping.

I know we are all so different in our requirements for surgery but at least if you got a 'yes' privately...it would be very difficulty for them to refuse what would be granted otherwise...

~hugs~

Hello kphorrox,

If you pay privately for a consultation then your entitled to know the outcome of what the surgeon would say. This does not effect your rights, maybe if you made the surgeon aware of your intentions you wouldn't feel like your tricking him/her, I didnt mean to squander any hope , was being realistic......

All the best - meJulie xx

i live in preston and people i know have gone to macclesfield but apart from that im not sure if anyone knows of any surgeons maybe i could write to them .

Hi Snowcrystal

Great thinking, I do not see any reason why someone cannot have private consultation and then get there referral and use it to get funding on the nhs........the only thing I was thinking is...........would a surgeon be willing to seek a patient as a private one if they had no intention of letting that surgeon actually perform the op as a private patient. I know of course the patient does not have to disclose this when they book the private op, but I am just wondering how the surgeon will react if once all the info and agreement was under way for the patient to reveal/say that they want a referral letter for the nhs.......am thinking that they wouldnt be best pleased.Anyway thats just me thinking out loud....

All the best - MeJulie xx

I see what you mean Julie, but a surgeon gets paid whether it's private or NHS.

I think that people should be upfront about it and tell them that although they have booked this private consultation they are pursuing the operation through the NHS and that the only reason they have paid for this consultation is purely to find out if they will be approved...(This could help the NHS)

It would not be right to get the approval privately and then end up waiving the approval form in his face when the patient gets their one-2-one on the NHS...although I think it would be funny.

I have posted another piece on this thread explaining my converstation with my surgeons secretary...she was absolutely fine with what I had asked her and even said she would run it by the surgeon himself.

I must admit that this is easier for me and those in the same position because i know who the surgeon is and I am at the beginning of my journey.

Just hope it helps anyone else.

We're all in the same boat......(wish it were an ocean liner...hmmm Queen Mary for me... lol)

~hugs~

Last edited:
smile.gif

I see what you mean Julie, but a surgeon gets paid whether it's private or NHS.

I think that people should be upfront about it and tell them that although they have booked this private consultation they are pursuing the operation through the NHS and that the only reason they have paid for this consultation is purely to find out if they will be approved.

It would not be right to get the approval privately and then end up waiving the approval form in his face when the patient gets their one-2-one on the NHS...although I think it would be funny.

I have posted another piece on this thread explaining my converstation with my surgeons secretary...she was absolutely fine with what I had asked her and even said she would run it by the surgeon himself.

I must admit that this is easier for me and those in the same position because i know who the surgeon is and I am at the beginning of my journey.

Just hope it helps anyone else.

We're all in the same boat......(wish it were an ocean liner...hmmm Queen Mary for me... lol)

~hugs~

Kerry ring the PCT on 01772644400 and explain the dilemma.They are very helpful, and it's the only way you will find it out from the horses mouth so to speak:D:D

Hello ,

do you know where you would have been having your op?? maybe your gp mentioned this perhaps !! If they did you could always call the hosp and find out the name of the bariatric surgeon(s) at the hosp and get the name and go from there (just an idea), also if your going to pay privately then you can have your consultation anywhere (guessing here). Someone more wise will be along and give u better insite as I am in the very early stages of my journey x

All the best -MeJulie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bariatrics

Thing is Snow Crystal even although you may get confirmation from the surgeon that he is prepared to undertake the op, bearing in mind that they are obviously far more likely to do it privately for obvious reasons, it is unlikely that in the event that someone has already been refused funding from the PCT that the surgeons decision would make any difference.
There are already lots of people who see the surgeon before the funding is applied for anyway, and I know from posts here and others I have spoken to that the surgeon my agree with the surgery, but the funding is still refused by the PCT for whatever reason.
I know of someone at present who has letters from GPS and Consultants from more than one hospital saying she should be considered due to her deteriorating health but she has been refused funding twice from PCT and subsequent tribunals.
She too has written to the old health minister and the new one, and also the local MPS and the Prime Minister, and still no luck.
So it is really difficult to advise anyone when they have been refused as to be honest it is one of those ops that is a bit of a postcode lottery unless you have the co-morbidities the guidelines look for, like diabetes and sleep apnoea high bp etc.
I can only wish those who so badly want the op good luck in their fight to get it, I have seen from my friend, how it can affect someones life fighting on and on to try and get funding.
Good luck everyone

Jay xx

I thought it was the PCT that sorted funding Not the surgeon. Also its differant to go private as some sergeons do ops to people who dont meet the criteria for NHS funding Hope that makes sence

Back