• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I Have An Idea!. Private Consulatation Could Help?

Hi Teen,

I thought all surgeons (private and nhs ) had to follow the n.i.c.e criteria! or is this not the case ?

I thought it was the PCT that sorted funding Not the surgeon. Also its differant to go private as some sergeons do ops to people who dont meet the criteria for NHS funding Hope that makes sence

my surgeon follows the nice guidelines for both nhs and private patients, others do not follow them for private patients.

how could i find out the a surgeon that would do my surgery on nhs and private

If you have not seen your surgeon yet, but know his name...just google his name and all hospitals he is attached to will come up. if he works both privately and for NHS you will see.

However, I think In your case you could just research WL surgeons in your area...get a private consultation, get your approval and use that as ammunition for your appeal...

I think that would be the quickest way.

~hugs~

Thing is Snow Crystal even although you may get confirmation from the surgeon that he is prepared to undertake the op, bearing in mind that they are obviously far more likely to do it privately for obvious reasons, it is unlikely that in the event that someone has already been refused funding from the PCT that the surgeons decision would make any difference.
Jay xx

Hi Jay

Surely this would be seen (legally) as double standards)...And getting approval privately can only aid someone's appeal if the same surgeon who works for the NHS and Privately works within the NICE guidelines for their local PCT...

With regards to funding...If GP and Surgeon are happy for patient to undergo surgery once their patient meets all the criteria there should not be a problem...That's how I understand it.

Surely, all evidence pointing towards the benefits of this operation for a potential WLS candidate can only help their plight when appealing.

It does not hurt to ask.

As for this post code lottery....I think it is unbelievably unfair as I have quoted in another thread...So as our PCT's criteria might be (unfortunately) different what might not help one person might be beneficial to another...It don't hurt to try and no-one is breaking any laws in trying.

~hugs~

can someone explain the difference between pct guidlines and the nice guidlines.....

The Department of Health commissions 'N.I.C.E' (National Health and Clinical Excellence) to develop clinical guidelines. Therefore N.I.C.E are the body that sets the guidelines.

PCT (Primary Care Trust) is your health authority for your area.

Hope that helps.

~hugs~

my surgeon follows the nice guidelines for both nhs and private patients, others do not follow them for private patients.

Hi Liz

You are right...I just rang NICE who told me that NICE was set up for the NHS but most surgeons follow these guidelines.

When I asked what guidelines have been put in place for a private surgeon, she said that there are guidelines and to obtain this information we should ring the Independent Health Care Advisory Service who would be able to give all the information required.

I tried calling them but there is no-one available to take my call right now....but if anyone else would like their number it is: 020 7379 8598
and the website is: Independent Healthcare Advisory Services

~hug~

I thought it was the PCT that sorted funding Not the surgeon. Also its differant to go private as some sergeons do ops to people who dont meet the criteria for NHS funding Hope that makes sence

Yes you are right, but if the surgeon and the GP agree for you to have the surgery when you meet the criteria...they would look rather silly if they refused funding....(unless they ran out of money...lol)

~hugs~

Hi Jay

Surely this would be seen (legally) as double standards)...And getting approval privately can only aid someone's appeal if the same surgeon who works for the NHS and Privately works within the NICE guidelines for their local PCT...

With regards to funding...If GP and Surgeon are happy for patient to undergo surgery once their patient meets all the criteria there should not be a problem...That's how I understand it.

Surely, all evidence pointing towards the benefits of this operation for a potential WLS candidate can only help their plight when appealing.

It does not hurt to ask.

As for this post code lottery....I think it is unbelievably unfair as I have quoted in another thread...So as our PCT's criteria might be (unfortunately) different what might not help one person might be beneficial to another...It don't hurt to try and no-one is breaking any laws in trying.

~hugs~

Forgive me if i get this wrong or someone knows differently, but the sugeon would only assess a case based on medical need, i.e co morbidity, other conditions etc, and not from a phycological,or dieting view point, which is what the PCT is responsable for, therefore the surgeon is just on opinion on that panel making the decision to fund WLS or reject !

I know that there are several hurdles to get through to get your surgery but my reason for making this thread was purely to help those who are quite frankly meeting the criteria and then given the run-around or point blank refused....or people like myself who have no clue yet as to whether or not I will be accepted for surgery and who just wants to try and find a quicker way to get that answer.

I have spoken to my surgeon's secretary and as my surgeon does follow the NICE guidelines his opinion as to whether or I can have surgery will not change when I see him as an NHS patient.

For those whose surgeons are not working privately at least you have a card up your sleeve so to speak if you have to appeal.

~hugs~

Forgive me if i get this wrong or someone knows differently, but the sugeon would only assess a case based on medical need, i.e co morbidity, other conditions etc, and not from a phycological,or dieting view point, which is what the PCT is responsable for, therefore the surgeon is just on opinion on that panel making the decision to fund WLS or reject !

Hi SS

I'm not going to argue about something I am not entirely sure about...(as this is such a minefield).

But obviously these ladies (and gentlemen) here are obviously coming up against objections even when they have other conditions, have tried every diet under the sun, and as for psychological affects any overweight (obese) person is going to develop them to a degree....
gees, I'm the most confident person in the world when slim with no hang ups, but when I'm fat I feel like hiding in a cubbyhole somewhere where I cannot offend the eyes of the perfect.

It's all about ethics...Or it should be...lol

~hugs~

Couldnt agree with you more Snowcrystal everyone should be treated the same county to county but they are not and that is the top and bottom of it, and SS is right about the surgeon and PCT having different agendas, which is why PCT can turn down even when a surgeon or in my friends case 2 surgeons and several other professionals agree surgery would be the right way forward.
Sad, unfair but true

Jay xx

Couldnt agree with you more Snowcrystal everyone should be treated the same county to county but they are not and that is the top and bottom of it, and SS is right about the surgeon and PCT having different agendas, which is why PCT can turn down even when a surgeon or in my friends case 2 surgeons and several other professionals agree surgery would be the right way forward.
Sad, unfair but true

Jay xx

As i said i'm no expert on funding as i went private for this very reason that they seem to mess you about so much !

Snowcrystal just wanted to let you know my friend was refused for the third time today, she had appealed again.
So in her case they had made up their mind already in spite of her back up letters from the professionals
It is so unfair my heart goes out to her

Jay xx

Back