• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

If it wasn't for this forum, would you have been properly prepared for surgery?

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I just wondered because I don't feel that I've really been given much advice or information from the hospital so far. They seem to have assumed that I understand the medical terms, and all I've been given is one sheet listing the side effects post surgery and the amount that can be eaten. I was also told I was high risk but that consultation lasted less than 2 mins and they didn't go into any real detail. I sort of feel like I'm being whisked through the system and will suddenly find myself waking up post surgery without any idea what to eat lol. Hopefully all that will be discussed with the dietician pre-op, although i don't know if I'm due to see her again. If it hadn't been for this forum I wouldn't know 90% of what I do know about the procedure and life post op.

So do you feel that you were given enough info or opportunity to discuss your concerns?

As a private patient i only saw Mr Ammori once then had my op, i didn't attend any groups pre op but had loads of written information. I also had numbers to call at anytime should i have questions. That said this forum was what helped most as i'm a firm believer that there is no better expertise than those who "have been there, done that and worn the t-shirt" so to speak. So many lovely people took
time out to answer all my questions and provide lots of support and reassurance during every stage of my journey and for that both then and now. I will always be grateful to every one of you who have contributed to the success i have achieved one year on xx

This forum (and another) were my lifelines while I waited for surgery. I didn't have that many appointments with my surgeon and it was online that I asked all the questions that sounded like they might be stupid, where I expressed the worries I didn't want to share with my family and where I read about other people's experiences (successes and problems).
Sites like these are a godsend!

I joined the day I started my pre-op diet so I was ready in a way but found some useful first-hand information rather than reading it :)

I have found this forum invaluable! I dont know what Id have done without it :D I dont think I would have been fully prepared atall without it, everyone on the Ammori team are brilliant but I just dont think they have the time to prepare you as much as they should. X

I have been sent attatments through email from Cosmetic Bliss but i have been coming to this site for well over a year and have found the info on here invaluable. I really dont think i would have been able to have made the decision to go ahead without this site. Just being able to know that you are not alone, that others have gone through and are going through the same thing as you is an incredible feeling.

I can never thank everyone on here enough, since I find that I am sticking to my diet and exercise plan much better than I have ever done thanks to the support and encouragement you all give to me.

Since I am still awaiting my first appointment on 23rd September, I am pleased that I have had time to explore the issues in detail and to question so many points before my surgery... in some ways, the wait is proving to be an advantage (that's how I look at it) since the time waiting, is about getting motivated, staying motivated, getting ahead with my thinking pre surgery and in gear for post surgery...

It's a pleasure to walk step by step on our respective journeys... I am so grateful to have linked in with such a tremendous group...

Thank you all again...

Love and hugs to each and every one of you xxx

This website is truly invaluable. Although I have got books and other information on the subject of gastric bypass and other weight loss surgeries, the first hand information from other bypassers or pre-oppers makes all the difference.
When I went to my appointment at the hospital on Friday (first one on one appointment!) they very much expected me to be informed and prepared!! I couldn't have been prepared as well as I was without this forum.
Thank you all!

NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOO HAHAHHAHAHHHA after my endless questions i ask it saves burning the ears of the surgeons hahahahhahhaha i love this website i dooooo xx

Hahaha... Kelly... it's our therapy session coming on here... we all keep each other going...

See you TOMORROW Jacqui... it won't be long now!

xxx

hahahhahahahahaha very true!! there ll be no arguement from meee on that one xx ~ :)

Oh my, I would have been totally lost without the help of everyone on here,

This forum has been an absolute godsend to me, and I really hope I've succeeded in letting everyone know on a regular basis just how much their support means to me.

Xxx

Nope, I wouldnt have been half as well prepared and I sure wouldnt have done as well mentally/emotionally if I hadnt been on this forum, I am eternally thankful for this forum being here. Im not as active on here now as I dont really feel that I have much to add to proceedings but I still come on here and read the threads and help where possible.
Steph xx

I will try and get there for about 6.30 tomorrow Bev, so we can have a chat before it starts :D Be there or be square ;) x

I love this site. It has done so much to inform me both pre and post-op.

I have felt quite disappointed really with the lack of information given by the hospital, but having said that, I read somewhere that people with a good support network (ie. like this site; are most likely statistically to do well post-op)....the tried and tested experience of those who've 'been there and done that and know what works', is so valuable.

and the love, kindness and just common interest here is quite awesome!

ahhhhhh geee........I love you guys! :eek::p:D:);)

Its another love fest.............yeahhhh .....pile in :D
hehehe time for a group hug! :gen126::sign0168::sign0168::sign0168::bananalove::bananalove::grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg: :8855::8855::8855::8855::8855:

I'm starting off at 4pm, so hope I can't get lost again this month.... I am sure I got it dotted for tomorrow... see you then Jacqui!
Take good care xxx

Back