• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is it possible to gain an allergy to antiobiotics?

Anon1986

So I've not posted in a while. - Gastric Plication Febuary 2012
If I'm honest my diets just completely deleted itselfs but I've learn more control than I previously had. I'm 'VERY' slowly still losing weight though and have lost over 80lbs now. However, this isn't about my lack of will power :)

I did write a long post about why I was on the tablets but it wasn't needed. But I have had a very bad cough which has led me to coughing so badly until I vomit some mornings etc, so possible damage there also. My main question is:

Can biatric surgery lead me to have side effects to antiobiotics. Now I ask because I've had to take pretty much every antiobiotic I can think of due to recurring chest infections I get 2-3 times a year. However this one left me with incredibly lose bowels and a noisy stomach as well as feeling weak. Sorry for the details, but I've been going to the toilet about a dozen times a day and they have ranging consistencies, from soft to liquid. Details suck eh ;).
If this was just the duration of the antibiotics it would be fine, however this has persisted 2 weeks after finishing the medication. The drug was Augmentin which got me to thinking maybe the clavulanate acid in this medications has had some effect on the surgery?

I am planning to go to the GP tomorrow, just thought I'd ask here first.

Hi there. Be sure to mention this to your GP. Whilst you are unlikely to develop an allergy, repeated use of some antibiotics (augmentin being one of them) can cause you to have clostridium difficile (or CDiff as it is commonly referred to). Although unlikely, it does need to be treated early as it can have long term consequences I'f left undiagnosed. Unlikely, but really worth a mention when you see your GP. Good luck and hope upon feel better soon.. Tracey xxx

Back