• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

It's my surgiversary today

Red 42

novice bypasser
I've thought long and hard about making this post because I don't want to frighten prospective banders. I know many have had lots of success with their bands but I also wanted to update those who have known me over the last year since I had mine fitted on 25th May 2009 and have followed my 'eventful journey'...I haven't posted in ages because of ongoing problems and the effort it takes to talk about it, but here goes.

I had my band fitted on 25/5/09 privately. By the time I had my 1st check up and barium x-ray on 1/7/09, my port had flipped onto it's side and couldn't be accessed to do a fill. My provider corrected my port on 16/7/09 (another operation) during this time I had no aftercare and no dietician chats even though I had paid for it and should have had these every month.
By September, I started thinking of needing a fill but as the dietician was the one to determine as and when these were to be done, it took me until 22nd October to get a clinic appointment for a first fill after lots of pleading for an appointment...the dietician chats never materialised.
On 22nd of October, I went for a fill and the nurse, after several failed attempts told me that my port had turned again, so no fill was done. I contacted my provider who after lots of humming and huffing said that because my underwritten period(guarantee) was up in November, any further surgery would have to be paid for...after paying £7000 for my initial surgery, I couldn't afford to pull out extra so had my GP refer me to the NHS surgeon...fast forward to March 2010 and I get my first appointment with NHS surgeon who after many attemps at accessing the port, couldn't get the needle in and wanted a barium swallow done because by this time I'd had pain since banding when trying to lie on my left side, months of constant stitch pains in my left side and problems keeping food down, my eating was and still is very inconsistent and painful.

Yesterday (17th May 2010), I saw the NHS surgeon again who said that the barium swallow showed the band to be in place correctly with next to no restriction as the barium had flowed freely, but because I was in constant pain should strongly consider having the band removed as that was the only way to confirm it was that causing the left sided pain. He also said that the muscles in the gullet on rare occasion can fight against the band which could be why even when taking a broken up tablet I feel like I'm trying to squeeze down a football.

So, I've made the decision to have my band removed. Living with it over the last 6 months has been pretty rubbish, really just existing I suppose and although I'm sad that it's not been right for me, I can't continue living with pain and poor eating as my body is fighting it, not working with it as I had hoped it would....I'm just waiting for a date now to have it removed.

thanks for sticking with this and reaching the end :eek:

Oh Yvonne!!!! Oh I hope we don't lose you from here because of this, I understand totally why and it has been so unfair that you have had so many problems. Nothing with these surgeries is guaranteed is it? It is good to get the complete picture of what can go right and wrong with the band so I think your input will always be valid and welcome and valuable so I hope that you feel like popping in regularly after all.
I hope whatever happens from this point Yvonne, that you continue with your weight loss BUT have a much much more positive and trouble free time of it.
I daresay you are sick of WLS now but have you been offered a chance of a bypass/sleeve etc?

I wanted to just wish you all the very best and hope so much that you stay in contact with us.
Lots and lots of love and hopes for good things to come your way from now on xxxx

Hi Yvonne

Youve had a rubbish time of it with your provider and band, it is really is terrible what you have been through.

I hope you get a date for removal soon, no one should have to put up with pain and incompetence like that for so long. As Neen says are they considering you for alternative WLS, hope so and good luck x x x:hug99:

sorry it has not worked out. can you get any money back? and are you seeking alternative weight loss surgery ? Rob

Im sorry to hear you are having it removed, but you have obviously thought very hard about it and it seems right for you. Good Luck with the op and I hope the pain goes X

Hiya Yvonne you already know my thoughts on this and it could be a positive move forward, i shall catch up with you next week at the meeting, hey ya never know we may just be on ward together for our removals ;) x

i would see about getting your money back, or at lease put in some sort of complaint about the way you've been treated, i hope once the band is removed your be pain free

Oh dear, what a crap time you've had you poor thing.

It sounds to me like you have been treated really badly & you should definitely look into getting a refund.

I really hope everything works out for you.

xxx

thankyou all for your replies. It's not so much that the original surgery was done incorrectly, but NHS surgeon said that it could be nerve damage that's causing the pains in my side...I won't know till the band is out.

The moral of the story is - be very careful who you choose to go private with and what they offer as 'aftercare'...only a very tiny percentage of patients have their ports flip but to have it happen twice is just extremely unlucky.

I'm just sorry that I've had to put my nearest and dearest through such financial loss, but I've got the most wonderful, understanding Husband who has been by my side through every appointment, in sickness and in health as they say and couldn't have asked for better support...he's FAB :lilkiss:

Liz...how funny would that be :D

Hi Yvonne,

Sorry to hear your experience hasn't been what you expected. Thank goodness the NHS stepped in as your provider it seems has washed its hands of you. I agree with others, you may possibly have a case for a refund, or even worse a complaint for negligence. Like you said though, your hubby is supportive regarding the financial loss, and at the end of the day - its only money - your health is far more important.

Big hugs to you hun, and hope you stick around so others can learn from your experience, and for you to gain support as you go through yet another surgery. x

I am so sorry. This is just awful and I hope the band removal will stop the pain for you.

Your provider sounds flipping awful!

You however sound very strong and that you have a very supportive family. I hope some sort of compensation can be sorted and that if you want further surgery that it can be achieved...

Wishing you all the best xx

Yvonne sweetheart I'm so sorry it has been a bad experience for you. I always followed your journey because we had our bands just 1 week apart. I really hope your removal removes the pain you're having. Huge hugs to you and your wonderful husbandxxx

Such sad news but you know whether you are doing the right thing or not and I am sure hubby will recovery from the loss as long as he has got you.

Could you possible tell us who your provider was so we know to be wary, and I think you have done a very brave thing telling, we should know the good and the bad about these ops.

Fingers crossed for you hun.xxxx

I have been following your story over the past year as you sere banded a month after me and am so sorry it didn't work out for you, you were so unlucky. I too had paid privately but didnt pay for the aftercare and am glad I didn't know after hearing your story. My aftercare really has been from the support of the lovely members on this site, esp Liz et al. I still struggle at times, lying on my left side and on my front etc, but don't have the trouble with the port that you had. I hope you find an alternative to help you lose the weight, all the best.

judy xxxx

H Yvonne , so sorry to hear you have had such a difficult time.I followed your posts closely as I had my band fitted just after you and from what I remember with the same provider. I have not had health problems thankfully but have little or no support from the group I paid 10k to have the band.I haven't posted much ecently as I am not haveing the success I'd hoped for with the band.I really think you should try for compensation from your provider. I wish you the very best with the operation, and hope you have a speedy recovery. Please keep posting here as you have been very helpful to lots of others in a similar position.

Oh hun im so sorry to hear about the awful time you been having with your band, and what a wonderful and supportive husband you have:)

I agree with the others tho try and get some compensation if not deffinately put in a complaint about the way in which you have been treated cause thats not right.

I do hope that having the band removed will ease your pain for you:) Good luck hun and take care.

Sharon xx

Back