• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ive Always thought Diet = weight Loss......

I expected repeated diets and weight gain has screwed up everyone's metabolism, but look - we're all here now!

Look how far everyone has come - femfrankie, members like you and Yvessa to name but two have undergone an incredible transformation.

Val has lost lots of weight already, everyone is doing brilliantly, don't let small gains (in the grand scheme of things) get you down.

I'm not sure our metabolisms are screwed so much as uber efficient compared to some of our skinnier friends. We seem to get a lot more extra energy to store from half of what they eat!

Sooo true Yve

Well, after being on loads of diets, and being obsessive about calorie-counting, I'm done with all that.

I'm in this for the long term, I'm not going to weigh myself day in, day out - I'm just going eat smaller amounts, watch what I eat and exercise.

If the weight doesn't come off, I will look at my eating habits, but I am making a conscious effort to make the right choices. I am also determined to follow all the rules of the band, and make it help me!

I am in this for the long game.

I don't expect anyone to agree with this post by the way!!
I'm with you, my consultant was very surprised that I hadn't weighed myself since the last fill. I'm trying to not be obsessive about it, this is just a way of life.

When I get ultra obsessed about dieting, I always 'fail', mainly due to my crooked thinking. This time I'm sooooo laid back it's not true! Bet hey, the weight is coming off at the moment.

I'm so glad you said that! I truly believe that not being obsessed is the answer.

I had a mate who became a weight loss bore, and I am not going to be one of those!

This is my journey and I don't expect anyone else to care, nor would I pretend I'm an expert and tell anyone else what to do!

I can only share my experiences and very limited opinion.

I felt that way for a long time. Ultimately it didn't work in the sense that it left me at a very high weight so I chose to diet to go further. FIngers crossed for you guys. I totally understand about the fear factor tho.

I agree with you ladies about trying not to be obsessed about weighing and dieting as this is for the rest of our lives but I still do it LOL :rolleyes: I don't track my food every day now, only about 50% of the time just to make sure I am remaining within my boundaries ... after 2 1/2 years I definitely know the right amounts of the right types of foods to be eating but its easy for bad habits to creep in and I don't want to be fat again :sigh:

Likewise I tried to keep off the forum for a while and not be continuously talking about weightloss, as the me I am now, is now me having achieved my goal ... However, I worry that if I forget what got me to that size 26 place in the first place, I could end up back there again. They say losing weight is difficult ... Its great to get the compliments and remain motivated as the scales are going downwards. Maintaining is not easy mind-wise either, trying to STS but not getting the recognition for it and to still remain on track. I don't think anyone is an expert, all we can do is share our individual perspectives as we are all so different. Hey hoh, we will all do, what we need to do to to make this work for us as individuals :)

I'm the same as Yve here. I feel more in control of my weight if I step on the scales at least once a week. I was over obsessed when I was needing to get my BMI down to 50 in order to get the funding for my bypass. I was Mega stressed by it all but felt it was the "target" not the scales that was stressing me the most. Not stressed at all now just more perplexed at my recent gain when I have basically just been eating like I was on my preop.

I agree with you ladies about trying not to be obsessed about weighing and dieting as this is for the rest of our lives but I still do it LOL :rolleyes: I don't track my food every day now, only about 50% of the time just to make sure I am remaining within my boundaries ... after 2 1/2 years I definitely know the right amounts of the right types of foods to be eating but its easy for bad habits to creep in and I don't want to be fat again :sigh:

Likewise I tried to keep off the forum for a while and not be continuously talking about weightloss, as the me I am now, is now me having achieved my goal ... However, I worry that if I forget what got me to that size 26 place in the first place, I could end up back there again. They say losing weight is difficult ... Its great to get the compliments and remain motivated as the scales are going downwards. Maintaining is not easy mind-wise either, trying to STS but not getting the recognition for it and to still remain on track. I don't think anyone is an expert, all we can do is share our individual perspectives as we are all so different. Hey hoh, we will all do, what we need to do to to make this work for us as individuals :)

Well said Michelle it makes a world of difference having someone who has similar trials to confide in. I don't think I will ever be able to take my eye off the ball even if I am lucky enough to get my weight to maintenance level. I have however ditched my fitness pal for now as recommended by my dietician as I felt I was relying on it too much and needed to trust my instincts more as well as have more faith in myself that I can make good food choices.

See I've been thinking about that a lot Shelley, I wonder if its because we don't have a goal when maintaining. I'm now in my first ever big stall and I can't tell you how frustrated I feel.

I expected repeated diets and weight gain has screwed up everyone's metabolism, but look - we're all here now!

Look how far everyone has come - femfrankie, members like you and Yvessa to name but two have undergone an incredible transformation.

Val has lost lots of weight already, everyone is doing brilliantly, don't let small gains (in the grand scheme of things) get you down.

You make some good points Bandergirl!!!!!!

Yvessa .. it will probably just shock you one day and some lbs wil drop off when you least expect x
Femfrankie, bandergirl, minn, Rae, weightlossdreamer ... While none of us are experts, I am sure most of us have more practical experience than the 'experts' working for our providers of actually living with our tools. I think its good we have somewhere we can share our ideas/experiences/suggestions and if they can help guide just one person to find a happier place that'd be fantastic. Even 2 1/2 years down the line, I really appreciate the ongoing support I get. Hope everyone's having a great day :)

My comment about not being an expert was referring to the way I will be with my family and friends - my friend who lost weight suddenly became a self-proclaimed expert and it was so annoying!

On here it's slightly different.

I really must learn to clarify my posts better!

Yvessa .. it will probably just shock you one day and some lbs wil drop off when you least expect x
Femfrankie, bandergirl, minn, Rae, weightlossdreamer ... While none of us are experts, I am sure most of us have more practical experience than the 'experts' working for our providers of actually living with our tools. I think its good we have somewhere we can share our ideas/experiences/suggestions and if they can help guide just one person to find a happier place that'd be fantastic. Even 2 1/2 years down the line, I really appreciate the ongoing support I get. Hope everyone's having a great day :)

Im just totally grateful that I have you all for support experts or not...you always seem to know exactly what to say.. xxxx

Anyway .. Back to you ... How is your day going? Still in control? X

Anyway .. Back to you ... How is your day going? Still in control? X

My day is going really well
I have upped my carbs and upped my cals a little

My worst time is about 9pm when I have true hunger..but I feel this is way to late to snack, do you agree

Im Ok all day and do really well, but Im going to be totally honest I genuinely feel hungry and hope that my fill on Tuesday may help even if its Physiological, like a placebo effect :)

I hope you are well xxxx

Pleased you had a good day. Even 2 1/2 years down the line and with 10.5mils in my 14 mil band I do still feel hunger sometimes (quite often in fact) however I think the difference is I now understand when its real hunger rather than head hunger. If I do experience that real hunger, I do eat. Just before bed at 9pm is when I often feel it, I do find however that if I have a cereal bar or couple of rice cakes/crackers etc at that time it means I feel genuinely full up until after 9am the next morning. And that's an achievement of feeling the band work for me, as I am up from around 4.30-5.00am each morning. If you are actually hungry maybe its your body telling you, you are not eating enough ? x

Pleased you had a good day. Even 2 1/2 years down the line and with 10.5mils in my 14 mil band I do still feel hunger sometimes (quite often in fact) however I think the difference is I now understand when its real hunger rather than head hunger. If I do experience that real hunger, I do eat. Just before bed at 9pm is when I often feel it, I do find however that if I have a cereal bar or couple of rice cakes/crackers etc at that time it means I feel genuinely full up until after 9am the next morning. And that's an achievement of feeling the band work for me, as I am up from around 4.30-5.00am each morning. If you are actually hungry maybe its your body telling you, you are not eating enough ? x

Your right I know I have not been eating enough but Im changing that..I maybe try the ricecake thing as I really do feel very hungry
Thank you for your support xxx

I am the same, if I eat less than 1100 a day I stop loosing weight and if I eat carbs when I am this low, I gain.

At 1200-1300 I loose weight really quick, and beyond 1600 I gain!

So I now know where to keep my cals. It is a guessing game until you work out how your body works with the cals.

Also it depends where you are getting the cals. If I get them from proteins and veg I am full up and have loads of energy and loose well. If I eat refined carbs, I get hungry and shaky between meals, and slow my weightloss and energy levels right down.

As you have been eating such low cals your body will be in "Ketosis" and so if you increase your cals to the optimum level for you now, you need to do it gradually and with proteins and veggies. If you eat any refined carbs as you are increasing cals coming out of ketosis you will probably gain, but it will eventually even out again.

Back