• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just been told off

Nellyphant

I've just received a follow up call from my team and been told off about the fluids I'm taking in. Shouldn't be having yoghurt, the soups I'm having are wrong blah, blah, blah.

So I'm on a downer. She also told me not to try anything thicker until Wednesday which is 2 days over what I had planned on.

And a bit worried that I've done my insides some damage!

Try not to dwell on it. If you'd done any damage, i'm sure you would know about it by now. Just draw a line under it and start afresh :)

Seems a bit tough on you, where did you have your op & when? I was on soups & yoghurts from day one. In fact the soups I was given in hospital were thicker than I had at home so as long as they are low far / low sugar you should be fine plenty of milk & clear fluids as well. You should of had a post op guide to sensible eating for when & how long etc as long as you're losing & feeling ok I can't see much of a problem.

I think that's a bit harsh also. Some hospitals need to give clearer guidance before they discharge you, rather than telling you off after the fact.

You won't have done damage. People like Chrisa will tell you they were discharged straight onto purée. L & D dieticians say move on to the next stage, and move back if it doesn't suit. So many hospitals with different rules. Some surgeons feel the liquid stage is pointless. Some feel purée is pointless as we have teeth.

Don't let it get you down. Chin up. You are doing well xxx

Thanks all. I've been having smooth yoghurts, blended and watered down soups and I even had some custard this morning. I'm still getting really bad blood sugar downs (shaky, feeling yuk etc) so I know that I need to take more in than clear fluids. Can't drink milk, it makes me want to vomit (I like it, it doesn't like me!) otherwise I would've been drinking loads of it and having some in coffee etc. I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes but I've been on the 'borderline' for many years; even the surgeon asked me after the op as my blood showed me at the lower end of the accepted border. I get so grumpy when my blood sugar drops too so it's not fair on my family. You've all made me feel much better thank you, I'll carry on as normal.

I bravely weighed this morning (hate scales) and have lost 6lbs since my op but I have lots loads of inches. I know I'm retaining water though so I shouldn't have got on the scales 'cos they didn't help my mood first thing as I thought I should've lost more. I'm going purely on the tape measure from now on and they can weigh me when I go for my check up.

Drinking more will help with retention. I suffer with water retention and it causing gains.

You are doing well. I was allowed smooth yoghurts. Can't see why you got told off.

Glad you are feeling positive to continue as you are :) x

have you tried sugar free jelly and some no added sugar angel delight ( i buy tesco own range) the liquid and pureed stages are the worst :( good luck

I was given soup on the ward b4 I was discharged - Goes to show each provider differs in rules etc - Well done on ur weight loss x

Well done on the loss stay positive and follow what they have said it will work out and come off for you xx

Well done girl you are losing, yes Fuffs was right i was straight onto the puree stage when i left hospital our breakfast before we came home was half a weetabix with milk, as long a severything is blended well and i was told to add water or milk to thin it down if it was still on the thick side. Don't think you will have done any damage just take it easy, and slowly. You should be fine, each hospital has its own views on this,God knows why. Not worth panicking over. xx

Can't add any more that what others have said as not been there yet but just wanted to say congratulations on the weight loss and inches lost! and don't let the "telling off" bring you down. Seems like you are doing a good job :) x

Seems a bit tough on you, where did you have your op & when? I was on soups & yoghurts from day one. In fact the soups I was given in hospital were thicker than I had at home so as long as they are low far / low sugar you should be fine plenty of milk & clear fluids as well. You should of had a post op guide to sensible eating for when & how long etc as long as you're losing & feeling ok I can't see much of a problem.

I was the same as above, the stuff they gave me in hospital was doups and yoghurts from day one- not that I could get anything down me at the time. Don't worry too much about it (hug) :)

Of your finding cows milk tough to get down try, soya, rice or oat milks all good & vary in protein levels so check packaging to be sure. Some taste sweet, others strange & better with food rather than by the glass.
To me what your eating sounds fine listen to your body sometimes it knows better than us what it needs.

I'm same as Chrisa, soup, readybrek, yoghurts thinned with milk if necessary. Sharing our experiences is the best guide (only tell them what they need to know) as long as your feeling fine. Your weight loss is fab. chin up girl xx

I was only offered coffee and bovril in hospital but my discharge list included soups,(thinned) yoghurts and actimel etc.

I was only offered coffee and bovril in hospital but my discharge list included soups,(thinned) yoghurts and actimel etc.

Same for me which is why I was confused after the call but I'm okay today. Upbeat but exhausted! I really need to get some more calories in me!

Back