• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Last attempt for some help/advice... PLEASE

J-Mo

I'm going to ask for some help/advice & hopefully I won't get 'shot down'.

I'm feeling very low about this & I am desperate for help which is why I'm asking.

I had my bypass 02/10/2010 & lost (including pre-op diet) a total of approx 55lbs. However, since week 8 post op I have not lost a lb. Nor have I lost an inch as I know some people have said I'm probably losing inches not lb's.

This means for the past 6 weeks I've had no weight loss, is this normal so soon after an op?

Its very disheartening & I realise I will have stalls but I'm truly shocked at the length of time this stall is, if that's what it is.

I'm tolerating foods again after suffering with nausea but its not aided my weight loss obviously.

An average daily food/drink intake is as follows:-
2 x litres of water with NAS squash
4 x cups of milky coffee made with s.s. milk
1 x protein drink made with protein powder & 200ml s.s. milk
6 melba toast or crispbread with low fat Philadelphia cheese
boiled egg, cherry tomatoes & cucumber with low fat salad cream
small handful of mixed nuts
small bowl soup (normally chicken & sweetcorn)
piece of fruit (normally small banana)

I've got to be doing something wrong but I just don't know what!!! Reading my list it seems a lot of food doesn't it?

I'd like to reiterate what I've said before & that I am NOT complaining about the amount of weight I've lost BUT the length of time I've not lost weight for.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

Hiya

I cant help re food advice being a bander, just wanted to say that I completly understand how you are feeling. It obviously really getting you down too x

Only things I can suggest is checking with the dietician if what you are having is enough / too much. Also how active are you can you / have you upped your exercise?

Sorry not much help but I hope you get some good advice from other bypassers x

Aww Bless & hoping you can get some thoughts Jacci... I would feel exactly the same way... I am sure of it... all I can do, as always is wish you all the very best with this and I'll be with you all the way... love and hugs xxx

Not an expert on an RNY - but is that a lot of milk - milk is quite high in natural sugars - so wondering about your carb content.

Also wonder if the fat content is just a tad low - I know if I have too much fat it has diabolical toilet issues BUT it can kick start my weightloss again

And have you considered a 5 day pouch test - I know sometimes people on stalls sometimes try this - I expect if you search on the forum there will be more details.

And don't worry stalling is common - and someone with more sense will be along soon with better info

Hugs in the meantime

xxxx

oh hun you really are suffering with this xxxxx how are you with meat and fish??? veg etc......maybe you are filling on the milky coffee? and body may be starving as not a lot of protien calories in your daily intake...have you been trying dif foods??? as i have been using a lot of carol balls recipes (she's in my friend list on FB) having variety in your diet may helpI wish i could help more you deserve a better result xxxxxx

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking of doing the pouch test but was worried it was too soon after surgery.

I'm exercising 3 to 4 days per week & mostly do 1000 steps on my stepper, 30 mins fast walking on my treadmill & 30 mins on my exercise bike.

I'm getting my bike out of the shed this weekend too & I'll be out on that.

I've got to be careful with fat content as I 'dump'. The coffee's I have are little plastic cups & not mugs.

Thanks again ;)

Right Honey i'm no expert but here goes..............
1. You seem to be havin a bit too much milk cut to 2 cups a day
2. Chuck the bloody protein shakes in the bin you dont need em
3. you dont appear to be eating proper meals you need to be having meet and veg and 3 meals a day, looks like you maybe grazing a little.
4. Exercise just walkin will do
5. chill it will happen
Sorry if this reads a bit harsh, i dont mean it to but this will work xx

oh hun you really are suffering with this xxxxx how are you with meat and fish??? veg etc......maybe you are filling on the milky coffee? and body may be starving as not a lot of protien calories in your daily intake...have you been trying dif foods??? as i have been using a lot of carol balls recipes (she's in my friend list on FB) having variety in your diet may helpI wish i could help more you deserve a better result xxxxxx

I'm slowly reintroducing more varied foods into my diet as I had weeks of not being able to tolerate foods & thought the weight loss was down to not eating enough.

On Sunday I had made a Sunday dinner for the family & decided to have some veg, small bit of chicken, 2 potato's with gravy. I was ill!! Couldn't finish it & had to lie down :(

I've got Carol's book too :)

Can't eat tuna & beef. Until last week I couldn't tolerate eggs but I'm okay now & I'm okay with seafood. I made a delicious prawn curry last week :)

wow thats alot of excercise so early on ......remember you may be building muscle which may be ofsetting any weightloss????? and i know that you are measuring your body but we don't measure toes, wrists, neck face etc etc all of which may be losing or even around your internal organs :) if you are getting no further with maureen would your Dr refer you to a dietician???

Sorry to be a pain but you say fat makes you dump - but dumping is sugar related - not fat related.

Reading your exercise and your food I wonder if you are not getting enough calories in and your body has gone into starvation mode - and hence you won't lose any weight.

If you can't tolerate meat/veg meals - have you contacted your bariatric team? Maybe it needs investigating

More hugs

xxxx

Right Honey i'm no expert but here goes..............
1. You seem to be havin a bit too much milk cut to 2 cups a day
2. Chuck the bloody protein shakes in the bin you dont need em
3. you dont appear to be eating proper meals you need to be having meet and veg and 3 meals a day, looks like you maybe grazing a little.
4. Exercise just walkin will do
5. chill it will happen
Sorry if this reads a bit harsh, i dont mean it to but this will work xx

Thanks, you don't sound harsh at all I can take constructive criticism, its nastiness that I have a problem with! Ha, ha

1. I will cut down coffee
2. I'll chuck out the protein
3. Can't tolerate meat or veg mcuh with attempt it again
4. I'll up my exercise
5. I will try to chill ;)

Thanks again

Hi J-Mo....I just put your food into myfitnesspal.com and its coming up just over 1,000 cals and depending on your start weight and exercise it says your body could be in starvation mode. I dont know enough to know if thats what is causing the stall, obviously Im only 3 months out so dont understand much more than you. I wish I had an answer for you hun as it must be soul destroying to not loose for 6 weeks. The only thing I can think of suggesting is speaking to your dietician, keep ringing and emailing until they speak to you.
Hope you get the answer soon hun ((HUG)) XX

I'm slowly reintroducing more varied foods into my diet as I had weeks of not being able to tolerate foods & thought the weight loss was down to not eating enough.

Can't eat tuna & beef. Until last week I couldn't tolerate eggs but I'm okay now & I'm okay with seafood. I made a delicious prawn curry last week :)

keep re trying as tollerance changes have you tried beans I love mixed beans in curry's in chillis etc all great protien too xxx .....frittatas, ommelets now you can tollerate eggs...... houmous?????

I really wish i could sort this out for you xxxx

wow thats alot of excercise so early on ......remember you may be building muscle which may be ofsetting any weightloss????? and i know that you are measuring your body but we don't measure toes, wrists, neck face etc etc all of which may be losing or even around your internal organs :) if you are getting no further with maureen would your Dr refer you to a dietician???

I have a check up with my surgeon on 31st so intend to go armed with a notepad full of questions ;)

I've only uppsed my exercise recently out of desperation.

Sorry to be a pain but you say fat makes you dump - but dumping is sugar related - not fat related.

Reading your exercise and your food I wonder if you are not getting enough calories in and your body has gone into starvation mode - and hence you won't lose any weight.

If you can't tolerate meat/veg meals - have you contacted your bariatric team? Maybe it needs investigating

More hugs

xxxx

Sorry Angela, I thought it was dumping cos if I eat anything too high in fat I feel ill. I was ill after a little Sunday dinner & thought it might be the gravy.

I feel really sick & have to lie down.

I've got a check up with my surgeon on 31st so will ask then. But I've made numerous phone calls to 'my team' & have yet to speak to anyone!!

I have a check up with my surgeon on 31st so intend to go armed with a notepad full of questions ;)

I've only uppsed my exercise recently out of desperation.

wow you got your 6 wk appt thats brilliant...did ya have t camp outside their office t get it lol ;o)

sweety, like i said on my other thread, i completely get how down-hearted you must feel. I would too in your shoes, no doubt about it.
I think you're light on your protein especially from meat and fish sources.
Could you try going back to slightly sloppier foods meat and fish wise, ie. shepherds pie, minced beef, fish pie, lasagne, chilli? I suggest this since the chicken made you poorly.
I think too that you might be drinking a bit too much coffee. Maybe try 'snacking' on cheese instead?
and try for another portion of fruit a day.

I think we need to give our bodies a surprise every so often; I remember this from SW. Sticking to pretty much the same food all the time stops weight loss.
I do appreciate how difficult it is when you've been struggling to tolerate so many foods.
Hugs and please, please, keep posting and let us help and encourage you.
Grace xxx

keep re trying as tollerance changes have you tried beans I love mixed beans in curry's in chillis etc all great protien too xxx .....frittatas, ommelets now you can tollerate eggs...... houmous?????

I really wish i could sort this out for you xxxx

Instead of soup on an evening I've tried an omellete which i was okay with. I'll certainly try the mixed beans.

I can only describe the way I feel as being pregnant. When I'm pregnant (I'M NOT THOUGH) I am really sensitive to food smells & tastes, so bad that I vomit.

Yesterday I decided to make a chilli with turkey mince & its the first time I've tried it. Well would have been the first time if I'd managed to actually eat it, I couldn't as just the smell made me feel physically sick. I had to put it in the bin outside.

I'm soooo wierd!!

ooo forgot to mention which may help....have you tried a food diary??? i got an exercise book and make a weeks food plan and make note of what i tollerated and what didn't do too well then re try what didn't work a month later!!!! also helps with the shopping list to ;o)

Sorry Angela, I thought it was dumping cos if I eat anything too high in fat I feel ill. I was ill after a little Sunday dinner & thought it might be the gravy.

I feel really sick & have to lie down.

I've got a check up with my surgeon on 31st so will ask then. But I've made numerous phone calls to 'my team' & have yet to speak to anyone!!

I'm pretty sure we can dump on fat. It makes me very ill too. it's not the same as a sugar dump but I know my Bariatric team told me we could dump on fatty food. It was mentioned at seminar. Maybe by dumping they just mean that we have an intolerance which causes dumping-type symptoms. it makes me feel very sick, dizzy and then have to run to the loo.

Back