• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Life begins at 40?

soozieboo

Hi - I'm a newbee and having just turned the big four O, I've come to the conclusion that a radical new hairdo is just not going to cut it. Something serious needs to be done. I'm not going to be eligible for surgery on NHS (as I've no comorbidy thingys :D). So looking all over for the most cost effective option. OH will not be impressed with the thought of travel outwith Uk due to safety concerns but he will also not be impressed with the £10K price tag of a sleeve (which is what I think:confused: I might have decided on). Not that he'll be paying for it but its a lot of money that I won't be contributing to the family... selfish of me? But hey its only a matter of time before my lucky lack of other health concerns changes (not getting any younger!) and with a 3 year old, I don't want to be the fat mum not taking part. Currently at my heaviest at over 18 stone so could do with losing 8 stone, but I'd settle for 4!

Hi Soozie,
Another newbie here; I'll find out in April (10 weeks!) whether I can have a gastric sleeve. Toes crossed!

Have you spoken with your GP? Maybe there's a way you'd qualify for the NHS that you've not thought about.

Either way, good, good luck!

Francesca x

Hi soozie it may well be worth a word with your GP I had my mini bypass two weeks ago in an NHS hospital and I don't have any comorbidities either however I weighed 17st13.5lb when i asked by GP to refer me so my bmi was 40 which is the trigger for funding without any comorbidities I waited exactly a year from referral to op so it's not as quick as private but I could never have afforded to pay money upfront would've needed a bloomin big loan I had looked into a sleeve at a local spire hospital and was quoted £9000
Best of luck whichever path you end up on :)
lolly X

Hi welcome not sure whereabouts in the country you are but cheapest I found for a sleeve was the Alexander in Manchester with prof ammori at £7500 although I ended up going with spire as I needed a band removed as well. Have you worked your BMI out to see if you qualify NHS? Good luck x

And beyond ???? I was banded at 56 I was 18 stone I went private £ 5000 . I'm now at 12-9 lbs I did go lower ,,,,I've been up and down ,,,,,,it's the best thing I ever did an my only regret is not doing it sooner,,,I'm happy at my current weight ,,,and I'm 60 in July so never say never,,,,just go for it I did x

Hi:

I was 39 when I had my RNY surgery in 2013. Three years post-op in May and it's been a wonderful journey minus a few obstacles. I've gone from a size 22 to a size 2 (in US sizes). Definitely feel the fabulous 40 even though this year I will be 42! Go for it! You will never regret your New Healthy Life. Good luck

Hiya and welcome. I went for a sleeve privately with Healthier Weight and it cost £10,500. They do finance for it if necessary.

I agree with the others - ask your GP first and see if it's something they think you would qualify for.

Best of luck whatever you decide - and keep us updated. :) x

Hiya and welcome. I went for a sleeve privately with Healthier Weight and it cost £10,500. They do finance for it if necessary. I agree with the others - ask your GP first and see if it's something they think you would qualify for. Best of luck whatever you decide - and keep us updated. :) x
I went privately for sleeve last August, £7600, great hospital and surgeon

I had the band put in when i was 40. Nearly 4 years later i am 6 stones lighter. Go for it, just like the others said!

Just popping up to say howdy!

Thanks for advice everyone. I suppose I should speak to GP. Not very hopeful as I checked qualifying criteria in my area but worth a shot. Worth it if it saves £10K!

Back