• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Likely rejection

stooshie

Hi

I spoke to my GP on 19th October about weight loss surgery. She was positive about my decision and said it was a good idea for me to be thinking about. She weighed and measured me. I came in at 23st 5lbs and I'm 5ft 5 giving me a BMI of 52.7. She says she'll put the referral through for me but that they'll say no because I don't have type 2 diabetes. She recommended that I call some clinics in Glasgow to get a quote to see if I could afford to go private. I've had a look around and it costs £10,500 which I could never afford.

I have hypermobility spectrum disorder and POTS and numerous health professionals (surgeons, physios, GP, podiatrists, etc) have told me losing weight will help my symptoms but I've tried everything without success. I have managed to lose about just over 4 stone in the past but I can't keep it off.

After hearing there's no chance of surgery on NHS I'm just so disheartened. I'm thinking about looking at clinics online. Praga Medica does surgery for about £5000.

I'm leaning towards gastric sleeve but I'm still considering the bypass so please feel free to share your experiences. Also, if you had surgery abroad could you share the info (place, cost, experience, etc) with me.

Ian2Big

Hi, firstly don't give up on the NHS, GPs are under a lot of stress and may not know all the criteria for surgery. As for type of surgery , do lots of research. There are a number of members on this forum, who have had surgery abroad.
Good luck

Emma1504

The NHS might come through yet. As Ian said a lot of GP’s don’t understand the rules. My GP refused to refer me on a number of occasions. When I was referred to hospital for knee issues. They refused to operate due to my weight but referred me the WLS team instead. My GP was then invited to support the referral which he did. That was May 2017
Don’t give up!

Bling Babe

I agree with the other, wait for your referral and see what they say, try looking at the NICE guidelines for weight loss surgery too, by the way welcome, let us know how you get on please x

Sarnie

Hi

I spoke to my GP on 19th October about weight loss surgery. She was positive about my decision and said it was a good idea for me to be thinking about. She weighed and measured me. I came in at 23st 5lbs and I'm 5ft 5 giving me a BMI of 52.7. She says she'll put the referral through for me but that they'll say no because I don't have type 2 diabetes. She recommended that I call some clinics in Glasgow to get a quote to see if I could afford to go private. I've had a look around and it costs £10,500 which I could never afford.

I have hypermobility spectrum disorder and POTS and numerous health professionals (surgeons, physios, GP, podiatrists, etc) have told me losing weight will help my symptoms but I've tried everything without success. I have managed to lose about just over 4 stone in the past but I can't keep it off.

After hearing there's no chance of surgery on NHS I'm just so disheartened. I'm thinking about looking at clinics online. Praga Medica does surgery for about £5000.

I'm leaning towards gastric sleeve but I'm still considering the bypass so please feel free to share your experiences. Also, if you had surgery abroad could you share the info (place, cost, experience, etc) with me.
I would go down the NHS route. I was told multiple times by my GP that I needed to be diabetic to qualify for WLS. When I finally got an appointment at the Obesity clinic at Luton, they told me I didn't need to be diabetic because my BMI was over 50, so I could have been referred ages ago, but my GP didn't have a clue what he was talking about. So I would definitely pursue NHS first and see what the your hospital says. Good luck xx

Maria61

Hi

Morning and welcome, I agree with Sarnie and believe that your BMI will qualify you for weight loss surgery on the NHS without other comorbidities. Please do check the NICE guidelines. Obviously waiting times are longer than going privately but you learn so much on the way while waiting. Good luck to you and keep us informed xxx

Parsnip

Hi and welcome to the site. I agree with everyone else. Your BMI should ensute your referral goes through even without comorbidities x

MariaMaria83

Hi Stooshie,
I agree, see what happens with your referral. I believe your BMI will qualify you without co-morbs.
My BMI was just over 50 at referral with no comorbidities.
Please let us know how you get on, x

Irene44

As everyone else has said give the NHS a go hun. Good luck xx

stooshie

Thanks for all of the replies! I had a look online at the guidelines for my area and it does say that diabetes is a requirement but I think I'm going to double check with the clinic itself to make sure before I make any decisions. I spoke with my GP surgery today and they said I should get a decision in about 3 months.

stooshie

Update: I phoned the bariatric team this morning and my GP was correct. They will reject any referrals where patients don't have either type 2 diabetes or sleep apnea. I phoned the sleep clinic to chase up my appointment but it turns out the GP who was referring me (I saw her a month ago) didn't actually refer me. The sleep clinic receptionist told me that final diagnosis takes about 9 months at the moment so it'll be a long wait.

Bling Babe

Update: I phoned the bariatric team this morning and my GP was correct. They will reject any referrals where patients don't have either type 2 diabetes or sleep apnea. I phoned the sleep clinic to chase up my appointment but it turns out the GP who was referring me (I saw her a month ago) didn't actually refer me. The sleep clinic receptionist told me that final diagnosis takes about 9 months at the moment so it'll be a long wait.
Stick with it, don’t give up, I’m not to sure if they have given you the correct information, you should be eligible with your BMI x

Parsnip

Where are your nearest hospitals, I'll have a hunt for information x

Sarnie

I don't have diabetes or sleep apnea, that info isn't right x

stooshie

Thanks. They said the demand is so large they're only giving it to people who have a serious condition that can be 'cured' by weight loss. Here https://www.nhsaaa.net/media/1996/20170214bariat.pdf is a copy or the guidelines for my are. There's only one hospital in my county (north ayrshire) that does the surgery on the NHS which is Ayr Hospital. The next nearest NHS hospital is up in Glasgow and only takes people from the Glasgow area - unless you go private. It turns out that it's the Ayr Hospital bariatric surgeon that would be doing the private operation up in Glasgow for £10500.

Both the GP and the bariatric team have said I'm not a candidate because I don't have diabetes. I'm not really sure if I can argue against it or who I would even contact about it for help or advice. The bariatric team said I wouldn't even get a consultation - my referral would be rejected and my GP told to re-refer if I'm diagnosed with sleep apnea after my sleep clinic appointment.

The past few days I've exhausted all my finance options and there's just no way I can pay for it privately. It's a horrible thing to say but I guess I'll have to hope I spontaneously develop diabetes :(

Bling Babe

MariaMaria83

Oh god! This is ridiculous. I can, kind of, understand the slight differences between hospitals procedures and their tiers and what not, but these are compete different rules in black and white!!!
As @Bling Babe says, don’t give up!! x

Bling Babe

It also states you would be eligible with your BMI Ipoh the pdf you have, it doesn’t state “and” to the things that follow the BMI x

Sarnie

Fight for it, by quoting NICE guidelines. When you say "they say the demand is so large....." Who are "they" that told you this?