• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

London Riots

I live in Dalston but managed to keep clear of rioters as my road was protected by a load of Turkish shopkeepers outside their shops armed with baseball bats and kebab knives!
Am going to buy lots of Turkish food tonight to say thanks. without them I'm sure I would've had trouble :-/ Lots of helicopters over my house (some so low they rattled the windows) and sirens most of the afternoon/evening!

,,our lads are OUR heroes,whether they be our young lads AND lassies protecting us as police officers ,firefighters or fighting abroad to save others and protect us,,,,,as for youth projects and community housing dont you see some of these lads in police uniforms are in there 20s and from the same area and backgrounds as the rioters,is it not their choice to loot steal and ruin our country ? ,

starr said:
,,our lads are OUR heroes,whether they be our young lads AND lassies protecting us as police officers ,firefighters or fighting abroad to save others and protect us,,,,,as for youth projects and community housing dont you see some of these lads in police uniforms are in there 20s and from the same area and backgrounds as the rioters,is it not their choice to loot steal and ruin our country ? ,

I agree totally. Saying that these youths are from deprived backgrounds and therefore they have an excuse is laughable, life is what you make of it. The world doesn't owe you anything.

And regardless of what people think of war at home, or abroad, you still have to admire people who pull on a uniform to protect our streets, lives or freedom. I wouldn't have the bottle to do it, and would never criticise them.

while people r fixing and building their business back up these rioters are prob sitting in thier homes plotting their next riot, it disgusting, and where r the parents of the children out doing this stuff, if my child came home with hd tv's id bloody take them to police station myself x

while people r fixing and building their business back up these rioters are prob sitting in thier homes plotting their next riot, it disgusting, and where r the parents of the children out doing this stuff, if my child came home with hd tv's id bloody take them to police station myself x

I'd be more scared of my parents than any law enforcement! My mom and dad would batter me - even now!

Trouble is, these kids don't come from the kind of background where their parents care what they're up to, as long as they're out of their way.
There seems to be an attitude of 'the world owes us', and the trouble is, it's breeding.
Kids having kids to get a council house and have their rent paid, or so they can claim benefits and not have to work. The pattern repeats and repeats because it's tolerated, and then society breaks down like it has now.
People can say this doesn't happen, but it does. It's everyone elses' fault - the Police, the government, but it's ultimately your families responsibility to teach you right from wrong, but if they don't know, or disregard it, we're in trouble.

zarafa said:
I found it funny someone said soldiers abroad were "heroes" - they're destroying the livelihoods and killing thousands of innocents in Afghanistan & Iraq - ordered to by the government, yes, but it doesn't make them heroes.
The money this government spends on the war abroad, had it been chanelled here to youth projects, community cohesion projects, housing, jobs wouldn't have resulted in riots.

A happy society don't riot.

These rioters (too polite a term in my mind!) Causing damage and stealing are taking money away from their own community. The cost of lost trade etc is obvious, but the damage caused will be submitted to insurers to deal with, firstly. So underwriters will bump up everyone's premiums so as to cover the extra costs. Thus stretching everyone financially so less is put back into the economy etc. Secondly, where an insurance claim results from a riot, insurance companies then claim their money back from the local police authority. And who funds the local police authority? Those who are able and with sufficient work ethic and decency to work hard, pay taxes and buy our own stuff. So our taxes then have to cover the cost of these disgusting humans to get a free pair of trainers and an x box, thus diverting more money from "social cohesion projects".
They have no knowledge or care for the consequence of their actions. They are selfish mindless idiots who we all know will unlikely face the justice deserved.

it sad that these children have been brought up this way thinking it ok to go looting and damaging peps property, summin needs to b done, it not rite at all x

I found it funny someone said soldiers abroad were "heroes" - they're destroying the livelihoods and killing thousands of innocents in Afghanistan & Iraq - ordered to by the government, yes, but it doesn't make them heroes.
The money this government spends on the war abroad, had it been chanelled here to youth projects, community cohesion projects, housing, jobs wouldn't have resulted in riots.

A happy society don't riot.

those soldiers that are fighting abroad are the same ones that are making sure that you arent on a train alongside someone with a bomb...they are also fighting for you and your loved ones, obviously you would think different if you have ever been affected by the bombings in london.... as for the soldiers themselves, well i can tell you from personal experience, not one of them would call themselves a hero, although many people do..they are just doing their job like everyone else..... i do agree however that more money needs to be chanelled into youth projects, and other community orientated things for our youth...but to compare both of these things in the same paragraph is wrong.... this is from a mother of 3 teenagers and also from a very very very proud wife of a HERO!!

Just so I'm clear..I'm not condoning the violence or the riots or the shameless looting, I'm just saying, if you think it has no root, you've been living under a rock.
Before the elections, Nick Clegg (ironically!) warned that if the Tories came in and implemented their cuts, we would see riots throughout the country.
When the Tories announced they were making police cuts, commentators predicted there would be riots.
When youth clubs were scrapped, youth leaders warned that there would be violence as the youth were now on the streets with nothing to distract them from crime.
Nobody listened, and we're reaping the results now.

Yes, the looters/rioters are greedy, cynical, self-destructive and nihilistic, but at the same time keep in mind they can be victims. It's not a black and white world.
As to our "heroes" protecting us, it's a matter of perspective. We wouldn't need protecting if the UK and US had stayed out of the middle east and Afghanistan in the first place. The more our forces kill abroad, the more discontent brews here and comes out in the form of terror attacks.
Our 'heroes' are abroad protecting us, but our country men are attacking us right here. How safe do you feel?

I don't for one minute think that there is no root to this, but it's become a case of looting for the sake of it. There's 13/14 year olds out there robbing and theiving and they don't even understand the politics - they just think they're entitled to take things others have worked hard for.
You wanna protest about politics and government? Take it to Parliament Square or Downing Street. Don't burn down people's homes and businesses, that's just mindless criminality. And there is NO excuse.

Last edited:
do you really think the looters would give a sod about your views or mine? do u think they care? all they care about is if the trainers they grab are the right size,.as for quoting everyone whos warned of riots , you could go back to enoch powells views and speeches in the 60s and 70s,everyones got a view ,your entitled to your views but nothing , no cut backs , no lack of youth projects gives any one the right to behave like that ,and i will never accept there is a good enough reason for this ,when i see my lads and their work mates shattered and exhausted and others whom have family in the forces on here post their views the last thing we need is a bloody load of excuses and do gooders ,and a party political broadcast on the forum, hope everyone has a safe night ,and that they all have their kids close and safe ,x

I have to say, although I've worked since the age of 16, and been paying taxes since I was 16, I've never had a lot of money spare to myself. And sometimes I have not known where I will get my next loaf of bread for the kids packed lunch,however this doesn't give me or anyone else the right to go and loot one from the local shop.

And as for youth projects etc, excuse me, when I was a youth, it use to be called, scouts/sea cadets etc or isn't that 'cool' in the neighbour hood now a days.

The youth now, don't want to work, have no pride in their community and think the world owes them.

Come on get real, how many of us know where are kids will be tonight, and how many kids know what time they have to be in by and more importantly, they will be.

These yobs don't have any role models and home, or they wouldn't be on the streets in the riots.

I can't even dream of going to the local electrical store and 'smash and grab' some of the goods. I get scared if I touch something and the electrical tag security goes off.

As for our heroes. All our emergency services and the soldiers are equal heroes, they are all putting there life at risks and for what 'Our Country'.

My father in law was a police man in the Brixton riots, and even he has said, this is worse than that, because its un predicable where or if the next riot will come from , plus the police force had more members in them days.

I for one, would like to spend an hour in a empty room, with one of these rioters, not to hurt them at all, but to get into the heart of these people, and really let them know, how there hurting others, not just physically but emotionally as well. They have no idea, and they don't care either.

If your new a riot area, or you have family near them, then I feel for you, and hope you stay safe.

sorry had to have a giggle about PG touch a security tag and getting scared... sounds like me.......

lol me too!, if im behind a police car i think ive comitted a crime lol ,,,,,,(,love the ignore button on here ,really needed to cool down lol x)

Peterborough Guy said:
I have to say, although I've worked since the age of 16, and been paying taxes since I was 16, I've never had a lot of money spare to myself. And sometimes I have not known where I will get my next loaf of bread for the kids packed lunch,however this doesn't give me or anyone else the right to go and loot one from the local shop.

And as for youth projects etc, excuse me, when I was a youth, it use to be called, scouts/sea cadets etc or isn't that 'cool' in the neighbour hood now a days.

The youth now, don't want to work, have no pride in their community and think the world owes them.

Come on get real, how many of us know where are kids will be tonight, and how many kids know what time they have to be in by and more importantly, they will be.

These yobs don't have any role models and home, or they wouldn't be on the streets in the riots.

I can't even dream of going to the local electrical store and 'smash and grab' some of the goods. I get scared if I touch something and the electrical tag security goes off.

As for our heroes. All our emergency services and the soldiers are equal heroes, they are all putting there life at risks and for what 'Our Country'.

My father in law was a police man in the Brixton riots, and even he has said, this is worse than that, because its un predicable where or if the next riot will come from , plus the police force had more members in them days.

I for one, would like to spend an hour in a empty room, with one of these rioters, not to hurt them at all, but to get into the heart of these people, and really let them know, how there hurting others, not just physically but emotionally as well. They have no idea, and they don't care either.

If your new a riot area, or you have family near them, then I feel for you, and hope you stay safe.

Have to agree with you but, stiing in a room talking to these people will make no difference, I remember a couple of years ago working in an casualty department when a young lad had come in following a cardiac arrest during the night, the majority of nurses and the dr's were busy trying to bring him back to life when another young male was shouting in the waiting room that it was discussing that he was having to wait for the dr to see his finger which he had jammed in a door in the pub. He had been waiting 30 mins. After several failed attempts to try and calm him down and explain that the staff was busy with someone very ill, I took him to one side and without breaking confidentiality explained nicely that the dr's were actually pumping on someone's chest trying to bring them back to life. His response was " I don't give a f--k about that other person I demand to be seen now" the look on my face must've been priceless, I replied, well theres not much I can say to that is there, turned and walked away with him screaming abuse at me, I realise then that society had turned a corner for the worse. Bring back national service I say. Sorry if I upset anyone with my opinion but I truly believe it would help x

hi jed i know croydon well,,cant believe the reeves fire !,,,, so sorry she had her flat damaged,please god it will be quieter tonight ,police have cancelled leave so lets hope it makes her feel safer,

These idiots dont want to go to youth clubs or engage with their community,When did you last see anyone playing in the park?They want something for nothing,one fella showing what he looted on utube!The youngest arrested was 11!If you gave them youthclubs with all the equipment going they wouldnt use it or if they did they would abuse it.Its the generations that have culminated in this I Want society,and not work for it either.That said not everyone is like that,so heres hoping sense willout and the divvys go back to the holes they have crawled out of.

Back