• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

London Riots

Sorry to hear about your poor niece Jed, how dreadful for her. It's a wonder no one was killed.

I feel for all of you, I really do (n.Ireland lass...). Hope it all settles soon. I suppose because I've been raised under the shadow of riots I've become a bit complacent. There were riots in my wee town a few weeks ago and rather than be scared I just thought it was a pain in the ass - how do I drive home when there's bricks all over the road and the bus service has been suspended???Hoping the kids weren't disturbed too much by the helicopters at night..... Wondering if I should take annual leave rather than try to get to work..... I'm sorry you're all so scared and that some of you have relatives that have had their homes damaged. I really hope it all gets under control sooner rather than later. Your comments have given me cause for thought - bit disturbed by how little I was affected by the events near me in July. Violence is NEVER acceptable, but recreational violence has got to be the most shameful kind - social & economical conditions can never excuse it - you're right when you say we always have a choice, and therefore have to accept responsibility for our actions. Hugs to you all. Xo

Brought a tear to my eye seeing all the people out clearing up in London,Bloody good on you all! show the idiots you cant keep GOODNESS and DECENCY down.
The Sihks protecting the mosque were great too!

I work in a young offenders institution and we were just as full when labour were in power as we are now. I can't say that the change in government or the drop in youth projects has affected our number of referrals in any way.

I can also say that not all of our young people are from disadvantaged backgrounds either. We have just as many kids from very privileged backgrounds as we do those from the care system or families experiencing poverty.

Opening up a few youth clubs isn't going to distract kids from committing crimes. Kids these days seem to be growing up with the notion that they are untouchable....why?..because in the majority of cases they are.

Lack of respect for themselves, the law, their families and their community coupled with a strong gang culture is the issue here.

H

Just so I'm clear..I'm not condoning the violence or the riots or the shameless looting, I'm just saying, if you think it has no root, you've been living under a rock.
Before the elections, Nick Clegg (ironically!) warned that if the Tories came in and implemented their cuts, we would see riots throughout the country.
When the Tories announced they were making police cuts, commentators predicted there would be riots.
When youth clubs were scrapped, youth leaders warned that there would be violence as the youth were now on the streets with nothing to distract them from crime.
Nobody listened, and we're reaping the results now.

The clean-up in Clapham Junction may just have restored my faith in London.
If any of you have spare time, and are near to any riot cleanup activity - please go. London needs you!

Montana said:
I work in a young offenders institution and we were just as full when labour were in power as we are now. I can't say that the change in government or the drop in youth projects has affected our number of referrals in any way.

I can also say that not all of our young people are from disadvantaged backgrounds either. We have just as many kids from very privileged backgrounds as we do those from the care system or families experiencing poverty.

Opening up a few youth clubs isn't going to distract kids from committing crimes. Kids these days seem to be growing up with the notion that they are untouchable....why?..because in the majority of cases they are.

Lack of respect for themselves, the law, their families and their community coupled with a strong gang culture is the issue here.

H

Sad fact is that the kids involved in these riots aren't the kind of kids who would use youth facilities anyway.
They don't want to put anything in, there's no understanding of give and take, it's all take.
I know violence isn't the answer here, but I wonder what would happen if just one of these idiots who were whoring their criminally-gained haul over Facebook or Twitter had their houses robbed, and their new possessions stolen. Bet it would be a different attitude then.

My mam and her family are from Londonderry in Northern Ireland and she said last night, the reason they came to England was to get away from all the troubles and scenes like this, but at least they had a reason for rioting, Karen x

RIP Broken Britain.. You went soft on discipline!.. You went soft on immigration!You went soft on crime.. Parents were told.. 'No you can't smack the kids'....Teachers were prevented from chastising kids in schools.. The police couldn't clip a troublemaker round the ear.. Kids had rights blah blah blah.. Well done Britain..You shall reap what you sow.. We have lost a whole generation!!

Back