• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long term effects of wls!!

HoPe*87*

Hi all,

Me again!! Just wondering if anybody knows of any long term effects of having wls?? As in is it known to give u any complications later in life? Obversely there's the good effects. Being skinny but any negatives?? Xx

Lots of loose skin but hey ho it's worth it. As long as you keep up with all your vitamins etc there shouldn't be any effects.

happy days said:
Lots of loose skin but hey ho it's worth it. As long as you keep up with all your vitamins etc there shouldn't be any effects.

Yeah I can deal with loose skin, just wondering if there are any long term health issues. This is more for my other half as he is worried that there must be health risks around these ops and he's worried as there new ops there's no long tern statistics xx

Different strokes for different folks. Malnutrition and deficiencies are the most common, but also the easiest avoided. I have 2 long term side effects; chronic malabsorption and reactive hypoglycaemia. Both are fairly uncommon though, and it's luck of the draw as to whether you end of with a complication.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Do as you are told by your team,keep taking supplements and eat well.Exersize and generally look after yourself.
Depression can kick in post op so if you are prone or already depressed stay on your meds.I have,but on a lower dose and I have been great.Twelve months on Feb 21st,6.5st down and size 14.From 19.5st,size 26!

shelbell said:
Different strokes for different folks. Malnutrition and deficiencies are the most common, but also the easiest avoided. I have 2 long term side effects; chronic malabsorption and reactive hypoglycaemia. Both are fairly uncommon though, and it's luck of the draw as to whether you end of with a complication.

That's interesting. I'm sorry u have side effects!! :( do certain side effects come with the different ops? I'm having the sleeve. Are ur side effects easily controlled ? And if u cud turn back time wud u still have had the surgery? Xxx

Big an Bouncy said:
Do as you are told by your team,keep taking supplements and eat well.Exersize and generally look after yourself.
Depression can kick in post op so if you are prone or already depressed stay on your meds.I have,but on a lower dose and I have been great.Twelve months on Feb 21st,6.5st down and size 14.From 19.5st,size 26!

I do suffer with depression so will be monitoring that closely, I'm expecting to feel low after surgery and expecting massive regrets but I know it will only be short term. Well done on ur weight loss that's great!! Xxx

Hypoglycaemia which is easily remedied as long as i keep an eye on it and act as soon as i feel it coming on

HoPe*87* said:
That's interesting. I'm sorry u have side effects!! :( do certain side effects come with the different ops? I'm having the sleeve. Are ur side effects easily controlled ? And if u cud turn back time wud u still have had the surgery? Xxx

You shouldn't get either of my problems with a sleeve, they are bypass specific. They are managed well now, it took me a long time to learn how to manage the chronic malabsorption though. I'd do it all again tomorrow, even with the complications the benefits make it so worthwhile.

Hope,

The side effects that Shelbell is referring to are from a bypass, not a sleeve (Shelbell's info and stats and type of surgery are displayed down the left hand side).

The most likely long term side effects I have been told about from a sleeve are acid reflux (which can be controlled with meds), possible ulcers (but this can also happen with RNY bypass), possibly slightly less likely to reach goal weight (but this is an estimation -- many doctors keep "saying" the RNY leads to greater weight loss, but the most recent stats suggest very similar weight loss outcomes at 2 years from both ops).

The most likely long term side effects from a bypass are: malnutrition / malabsorption (for which over-correction -- eating higher quantities of protein and vitamin supplements is required, as Shelbell does) .... and possibly twisted bowels (because with the RNY the remaining stomach and upper intestinal tract is left floating, slightly lose, now disjoined from the new pouch -- whereas with the sleeve, the excess stomach is removed and the remaining intestinal tract remains as it was, unaltered).

The malnutrition can in a few EXTREME cases be so severe that the patient cannot keep food down and requires hospitalisation. (Unfortunately I have met 2 post RNY bypass patients who have had this level of malnutrition, and even if they are unusual, it is not something I want to go thru myself -- one of them spent 9 months in hospital being tube fed and is still now seriously underweight. I would rather take the risk with the sleeve of ending up a few stones overweight, but "healthy" than seriously malnourished and underweight and fighting to keep food down.)

None of these complications happen to EVERYONE, only a small percentage of patients run into complications for either operation.

I was told that as I lose weight the fat in my body cavity will decrease unevenly forming pockets and that my intestines could slip into these pockets and get stuck or twisted, called a peterson's hernia apparently. It's fairly rare though I think.

H xx

Sharonimo said:
Hope,

The side effects that Shelbell is referring to are from a bypass, not a sleeve (Shelbell's info and stats and type of surgery are displayed down the left hand side).

The most likely long term side effects I have been told about from a sleeve are acid reflux (which can be controlled with meds), possible ulcers (but this can also happen with RNY bypass), possibly slightly less likely to reach goal weight (but this is an estimation -- many doctors keep "saying" the RNY leads to greater weight loss, but the most recent stats suggest very similar weight loss outcomes at 2 years from both ops).

The most likely long term side effects from a bypass are: malnutrition / malabsorption (for which over-correction -- eating higher quantities of protein and vitamin supplements is required, as Shelbell does) .... and possibly twisted bowels (because with the RNY the remaining stomach and upper intestinal tract is left floating, slightly lose, now disjoined from the new pouch -- whereas with the sleeve, the excess stomach is removed and the remaining intestinal tract remains as it was, unaltered).

The malnutrition can in a few EXTREME cases be so severe that the patient cannot keep food down and requires hospitalisation. (Unfortunately I have met 2 post RNY bypass patients who have had this level of malnutrition, and even if they are unusual, it is not something I want to go thru myself -- one of them spent 9 months in hospital being tube fed and is still now seriously underweight. I would rather take the risk with the sleeve of ending up a few stones overweight, but "healthy" than seriously malnourished and underweight and fighting to keep food down.)

None of these complications happen to EVERYONE, only a small percentage of patients run into complications for either operation.

Thanks, I really should read up on things more :) by the sounds of it the sleeve poses less risks but with the bypass having been around longer I think that's maybe why there is more info about it. I think it's just look of the draw just have to do my best to work with my new body and follow exactly wot my team ask of me :) xxx

For me all those risks mentioned are all better than developing T2D, CVD, arthritis, chronic back ache, breathlessness etc etc...the list for being fat is endless; it's about 'risk v benefit' and for me being healthy and smaller would win every time! Thank you though interesting info on pro's and cons of sleeve and RNY x

OOnion said:
For me all those risks mentioned are all better than developing T2D, CVD, arthritis, chronic back ache, breathlessness etc etc...the list for being fat is endless; it's about 'risk v benefit' and for me being healthy and smaller would win every time! Thank you though interesting info on pro's and cons of sleeve and RNY x

I totally agree with u there!! Xxx

Back