• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

****Long termers and Eating****

emma-louise

my new life!!
Something I've always wondered about others that live with a bypass...
Do you struggle to eats meats/pasta/bread/rice ?
I try to avoid these as much as possible as they get stuck,do I not chew enough or is it just normal after having this surgery x

I don't but I never have. Reading a 6 yr postop blog by egg face suggests that you will struggle unless you use dips etc.

Yvessa said:
I don't but I never have. Reading a 6 yr postop blog by egg face suggests that you will struggle unless you use dips etc.

Have I read this right yvessa..you have never struggled eating these foods???

2yrs on i still have trouble with pasta, can only eat small amounts, it gets stuck , rice only small amounts fills me up quickly, bread 1 slice, chicken is hard. but who cares, i'm slim x

I eat meat but don't really eat bread or pasta through choice rather than I cant manage it, only had rice once since op and can eat all meat but sometimes its literally just a mouthful or two....

I have never struggled with *any* food. I have good restriction, but I have never had trouble eating anything.

I can eat pretty much anything, I have eaten bread, rice pasta and meat of all sorts. Even eating cold chicken is ok. I can eat around half a teacup before I am full. I can eat two slices of 'light' bread.

I am 4 1/2 months out

I can't tolerate bread or pastry, only manage small amount of pasta or rice. Pork makes me sick, as does white fish. I have no idea why !

Fish is still my most dificult to eat, meat I can manage but have to chew and chew or can feel it stick bu tnever sick. Pasta and rice no probs, bread usually toasted unless its a wrap or thin/pocket, scones an dmuffins very rarely usually stick to stodgy. Sausages make me feel sickly, also if i have fish in bread crumbs. most meat I like gravy on, n pasta always has a sauce of somekind, my rice has to be moist not too dry as well x

Eat all of those Emma without real problems. Meat though I do need to chew for England or it can feel tight and stuck. My problem was and still am a fast eater and manfully trying to slow down.

M

Its all too easy to gobble it down and then think ohh don't think I chewed that enough when the pain or that awful stuck feeling comes on. Its hard some days when you ar ebusy and just eat cos you have to without interest or a lot of time thats when we rush our food without thinking but usually pay the price xx

I can tolerate pretty much everything , but will only have a v small amount rice / pasta / couscous etc out of choice . Meat & fish no problem but easier with a sauce or gravy . I also eat faster now than initially , but it doesn't cause me problems x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using WLSurgery

im 7 months out and i can eat anything as far as i can tell, ive not had trouble with anythig ive tried. fish doesnt go down great and i steer clear of bread in general by choice, but rice and pasta are fine.

my main issue is eating too quickly still.

I can manage meat and fish, small amounts of pasta and rice only 1 slice of bread but can't eat the crusts (So I will never have curly hair so my mom says LOL)
The things I can't tolerate are pastry, eggs, muffins and cupcakes

I'm really surprised how some people cope quite well with my trouble foods,meat/pasta/bread/rice
I do take time and chew but they do seem to form a 'plug' and get stuck!and I get horrid pain in top area of chest.
This may seem a silly question,but can the opening of your new pouch vary in size from person to person?

Yes it can but I think it is just our bodies reaction. What you've described Emma made me thing because I get that sometimes with cold chicken. I add a yoghurt dip to help.

I would say I eat at most 2 tblsp of carbs at a sitting. Because I get full. But it doesn't get stuck as such.

I've always wondered if the opening of the pouch varied in size,because I do tend to get food stuck a lot!
Like you yvessa the more dryer foods I try to mix something with it but it doesn't aways work.
I do tend to eat a lot if fresh tomatoes with foods to help them go down easier.
I'd still love to know if the 'gateway' to our pouches are all different and why.

I assume it's Actually just the way we heal. If some of us have more scar tissue then the opening would be narrower. It's why some people have to have stretches.

Back