• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long termers: going back to basics to kick start the diet

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I'm 17 months post op and haven't lost any weight for a year. As I posted in the main forum I've been eating chocs and crisps and all the wrong things really. I also drink and eat at the same time.

I know I still have a small stomach because a couple of bites of chicken fills me up, but of course I can eat a family sized bag of crisps without any trouble because it dissolves into nothing.

So I'm currently two days into doing the milk diet again to try and get my head back into gear. I chose to do the milk diet because I've acheived it before so I know I can do it. Also, punitive and restrictive diets are actually easier for me because it takes the choice out of it. That's actually the big problem with my diet. Lack of planning and making bad choices.

Once the milk diet is done I plan to reintroduce protein based meals and avoid carbs. I am staying away from bread, which is a big favourite of mine, and really want to get into fish which I hate.

I also want to go to the supermarket with a list for once, rather than just choosing when I get there.

Does anyone have any tips?

Hi

I too am struggling to get my last two stone off,
When I go shopping next I'm getting plenty of cottage cheese/prawns/tuna...and I too have very good restriction when it comes to eating dense food but like you other stuff slides easy!

how are you with dumping? It rarely happens to me, except with icecream or skittles.

how are you with dumping? It rarely happens to me, except with icecream or skittles.

Yes I dump on sugar/fats,
And sometimes I just know food isn't right for me so I stop
And there has been times I've really struggled with this bypass and wish I could have done it by myself x

Yorkiegirl I plan my dinners for the week and buy my groceries online. As you live alone you could freeze some leftovers to use another day. Or repurpose then eg make bolognese and do a lasagne one day, stuff peppers the day after and spaghetti the next night. Hope that helps.

Aha you've just reminded me that I have a freezer full of homemade spaghetti sauce to use up. Also lots of frozen veg which I grew on my allotment this year. Ordering food online is a good idea though. It will stop me from making impulse purchases.

The one thing I do find is that I fall into a routine particularly with lunches and breakfast as I don't have time to plan 3 different meals a day. But it means my dinners are quite varied. I budget money quite strictly so this also stops me buying the junk I don't need. I homemake my own yoghurt as well - it's great protein and no added sugar.

Your problem is much the same as many who go off track, including me, you know what needs to be done but don't especially want to do it. The milk diet or a VLCD will achieve one thing which is fast weight loss and yes it does remove food from the equation which can help. However while it can 'get you started' you need to follow through and follow a good eating plan so need to come off the VLCD in the prescribed way. In my case I will often use a VLCD to shift a small regain but its not the long term answer or that small regain wouldn't appear again time after time on my tum. The bottom line is the need to follow the pouch rules and eat dense protein first etc etc from a low fat, low cal diet if you want to maximise your RNY and you have already stated that you know that. At 17 months out you should still have time to lose with the RNY much longer after that you are often on your own. At almost 4 years out the RNY helps me just a bit. My tip to you and me and anyone else faffing around is get to it and do what you know you have to. My top tip is to get your head round the need to change and do whats required. I hate having to plan to and you can still be successful without just buy what you should eat and work with it. Sounds so easy doesn't it well essentially it is we just need to get it done and like you I am once again trying to ensure I do.

Good luck

M

Totally agree CCPM it is difficult and we have to get to grips with it. I have had some things over Christmas that I shouldn't have had and lost a pound last week yet put it back on this morning. I have ate sensibly just the naughy treats that crept in, and extra alcohol that wouldnt normally have. I am I am almost 16 months post now and my weight is ever so slow but still heading in the right direction, need to up my protein again lessen off the carbs n cut out the treats. I have started with hot flushes again, think it is due to sweet stuff as well as menopause. You are so right its our heads that have to get back on track and it is always going to be tough we do have to make the right choices and get back into the swing of that inorder for our weightloss to continue. xx

I have also noticed with myself,my moods have greatly been affected since my bypass.
The weather outside being miserable makes me down,once it gets dryer and sunny my exercise increases and diet improves.
I need to move... Lol

Back