• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long termers - Lets get talking

A little bit of what you fancy does ya good as long as it stops at just a little bit. xx Do you take anti depressants or thnk you need them? I have been bit like that of late but so many things going on its only to be expected. I am being made redundant but before they told us they made life really difficult and been really awful. Best of luck, keep your head held high, you have done so well. xx

You know what chrisa,
I won't take depressants as I get bad nightmares on them.
Sorry to hear about your redundancy,my hubby is on egg shells with his job.
Thanks to all that have took the time to reply on this post xxx
It really helps xx

Hop you enjoy your treat babe and you feel better.:)

So true!

You know I was thinking tonite,
Perhaps one of the reasons long termers don't stay around is due to that "honeymoon" period going...
In my first year or so everything was wonderful I was on such a high!!
Like many on this site when your newly bypassed and the weight drops off.
But then reality sets in after a couple of years.....just a thought.

very true Emma.

I have been through that myself...... have posted a couple of times over past year or so trying to understand the struggle and remember very fondly how wonderful that honeymoon first year was :(

Have felt such a failure since then because I haven't got to target...

As for meds, they are a necessity for me :)

If it helps at all, I spent the last year waiting for gallstone removal and feeling totally out of the loop regarding my bypass.... put weight on ..... but since that op at beginning of October 2012, I have started to feel better.... not just because of the surgery... but coming to terms with the fact that the hard work involved in losing weight is still needed. Sad but true

After the honeymoon is over, it seems vital to continue to learn to use the "tool" I have been given.... and not give in :(

Last edited:
Good to see you Sukay and glad to hear you are feeling better now gallstones sounds as if it is a really bad thing to develop and go through. Join us here we are struggling to get more long termers here regularly and talking. Those of us who do find it so helpful to chat with others who know only too well years 1-2 are great, later its a real struggle for some and we look to here to try to find support. Hopefully if pre-ops and new post ops read it it will help them prepare for their long term.

Good luck and so nice to see you

M

I now take 40mg Prozac daily after a tough year or so since my bypass & sons mental health problems brought me to my knees. I'm now in that numb place awaiting CBT & whatever other help I get.
Lovely ladies like Chrisa & many others talked me through my indecision to go to my GP for help, even then I set myself deadlines & then passed them without doing anything, until another crisis hit at home & I crumbled. I went & got the medication they offered, had an initial assessment & as I say await the start of CBT. Things are perhaps no better yet but I am more relaxed & able to let things slide rather than react/over react to things in time & with help I hope to tackle the underlying problems I have plus my food /head demons for coping that I shouldn't fall back on now but have increasingly of late. I don't expect miracles & hope eventually not to need them but also accept that its not going to be a quick fix its taken a long time to get to this point & like our surgey the meds & counselling are no magic wands but tools we need to learn to use effectively.

I have taken prozac and other anti depressants ever since I lost my daughter... And in truth don't know what state I would be in if I hadn't of had the medication. I am also bi polar which means as well as the highs I can get the awful lows too, so again medication is a god send.. Sometimes it's very hard as penny says to accept that you do need a little help in that direction, but it can make such a difference. Fatigue can also sometimes be a symptom of depression.. Hope you are feeling better today Emma xxx

I will only be a year post op 30th March.

In the initial haze I thought I would be able to resist eating crap.

My weight loss has been very slow and stalled many times. So when it got to my birthday end of November, I seriously went off the rails (though picking had started before then).

I have been back eating healthily and happily since new year.

I have had many food demons in life. Binge eating with or without bulimia, extreme diets etc.

I know feel though I am in control, by going off the rails I somehow have wasted some of my golden year. It's ok for people to say that doesn't matter, but it really does. I have much more to lose to be slim. At least 3 stone more if I am honest (I am 6ft 2") and just hitting 17st now.

So I have to get my head in gear before I am a year post op - as in prepare for the demons. I won't be near goal by then and know its gonna bother me.

So yes, the rosy glasses fell under a bus early for me lol

I love my bypass. Without it I would not have lost weight pre op and of course not post op. 30st would have been the next port of call for me.

My team say I have already all together lost most of the percentage they would want me to lose (pre op and now). But that doesn't make me feel any better!! Lol

But, it's defo not the easy option.

Just hope I can get to a weight where I don't feel like a failure.

It's really good to hear others talk more

'Longer term' about their bypass,if I'm honest I worry at times what the future may hold for me.
Yes I've lost most of my excess weight,but vitamin defiency,feeling far more tired,feeling cold all the time and occasion tummy aches/wind I get(which I never had before)..bothers me sometimes.
But at the same time I do know without this operation I'd have problems related to my weight....I suppose even though I'm 2 1/2 years out I've still got a lot to learn and get used too.
I just hope if anything Pre-op people will read this and maybe help xxx

I am not even at goal and feel the cold like never before! Lol. I am colder than when I have been at this weight before.

We can only try to saty positive and upbeat and when the chips are down look to our good friends on here for help and advice, it can come in many forms but we can only use it if we really want to hear the aswer , quite often the answers we get arent what we want to hear but are what has been running through our mind just we couldnt admit it to ourselves thats where friends come in, xx The support on here is fabulous xx

We can only try to saty positive and upbeat and when the chips are down look to our good friends on here for help and advice, it can come in many forms but we can only use it if we really want to hear the aswer , quite often the answers we get arent what we want to hear but are what has been running through our mind just we couldnt admit it to ourselves thats where friends come in, xx The support on here is fabulous xx

I cannot a price on the support I've got from this site and the people on here,x

Well said Emma, we all need help at different times thank goodness when one or two are struggling the gang come together and help out with advice n encouragement, until we feel better and the next poor bugga gets that awful feeling. xx

Well said Emma, we all need help at different times thank goodness when one or two are struggling the gang come together and help out with advice n encouragement, until we feel better and the next poor bugga gets that awful feeling. xx

Chrisa you make me laugh,I know I'm just going through a bad patch at minute.
I honestly think I suffer with SAD, winter really gets me down.
And I've just felt really over whelmed with this snow and coldness Im feeling all the time.
And to top it off I'm full of head cold.
I invested in a light lamp(not cheap at all!)
But I've yet to regularly use it..my fault!
Having 2 young ones I just don't get a minute for myself,and when I do get a rare moment I'm tired x

I know that feeling!! Mine are 10 and 4. By the time they go to bed, I feel only fit to look like a character in a zombie movie lol

A colleague swears by her alarm lock that imitates the sunrise to wake you & swears that she's felt less tired in the mornings despite getting up at the same time as her old alarm clock used to go off but feels much better for this way of being woken. Perhaps that can help you with your SAD problems.

I'm still around, just.

Health is bad, so I don't have the energy to put into the forums anymore, my family is my priority and they take every ounce I have!

Weight wise, I had a hormonal problem as a side effect of my anti-emetic medication, which in turn caused some very quick weight gain. The hormone problem is fixed now, but I can't take anti-emetics anymore, so learning to live with chronic nausea.

So I'm heavier than I was, now a size 14 instead of 12. Trying to resolve that but it is very hard, especially when not feeling well.

My journey for plastics went nowhere, which has meant a massive emotional adjustment. Having to accept the skin and its additional problems. I think that's part of the reason I've not been on as much too, it's hard to see others getting plastics funding so easily and at much higher bmi's in some cases. I know it's petty and daft but I'm not perfect.

So it's now been 4&1/2 years and things aren't perfect, but they're still a damn sight better than pre-op.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sorry to hear you still not 100%. Family has to come first and after 4 1/2 years you know your body better than anyone. Plastics isnt the b all and end all, think sometimes can be a nother hang up, I know for some people it is areally big deal, but i personally could not put myself through that, I certainly could not afford to fund it for myself. I am a coward and it frightens the life outta me, when i SEE the scars I am grateful I had the op, and it worries me how I will cope once I get to 2 years post op. Will I become un well will I regain my weight am I guna be strong enough to keep it up. You are doing a great job and have done so for a long time thank you for posting even though it is a drain on your precious time and energy. You are a fighter and family life is very precious. xx Take care lovely xx

It's lovely to hear from you shelbell x
I hope you manage to sort your weight gain out.
The doctors has prescibed me recently with a tablet to try and help with these wind/bloating pains I'm having,but the side effect is weight gain!
And I'm frightened to death to take them,so of course I'm putting up with these tummy troubles.
Take care and hope your health improves for you, xxx

Back