• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long termers-lanzroposole tablets

emma-louise

my new life!!
This question I made need to ask my doctor if I ever get an appointment!
But does anyone know how long you can take these for ?
I'm wondering if its bad to take them for too long due to potential side effects?
I

Not 100% on this one and I'm sure it will differ from consultant to consultant, but I was under the impression Lansoprazole was for life. The hidden hypochondriac in me needs to know what side-effects there may be?!

I was told 3 months by l &d unless you have reflux because according to my gp they can cause strokes and liver damage over time. I am luck in that I have no reflux.

Emma I was on Omeprazole before my op and was changed to Lanzoprosil post op and still on them 18 months out. I had acid reflux before hand so knew I would have to keep taking something - no-one has told me about any expected side effects and I am certainly not getting any problems with taking then,

The hospital stopped mine at my 6 week check that turned out to be 9 months post check. xx

Hospital started me off on omeprazole & then after 2 weeks changed it to Lansoprazole, but again it was stopped after 6 weeks as my surgeon and dietician both said it wasn't necessary if I wasn't getting any acid reflux, and the long term side effects included liver problems and also gastric problems, and when I researched this on the internet, they are now linking long term use of these acid inhibitors with various stomach cancers etc., In America, doctors are not allowed to prescribe the drug for more than a 2 year period and then only if the patient has ulcers or a serious stomach condition. But in truth I suppose it is better to do without any drug if you possibly can. Must admit I don't miss the Lansoprazole and haven't had any reflux since not taking them...

Just an afterthought!! Did you know that these Proton Pump Inhibitor drugs such as omeprazole and lansprozole etc also inhibit vitamin B12 absorption, which is a problem for most bypassers anyway... All very confusing in truth

The issue is without them particular initially we can damage the stomach pouch because of the acid production which won't adjust to our food intake for a while.

I must admit that having many patients in our practice who take proton pump inhibitors long term and have for years the side effects quoted above surprised me. I looked it up in the various medical formularies and don't see major warnings other than constipation and other smallish things. My own team recommend it for life. Its a minefield out there obviously but at present on balance I'm happy to take it

M

This is just what my gp told me although he was talking about lansoprasole. He said one parole is much safer.

I think there is so much misinformation out there, that it is really hard to find out the exact facts, as medical opinions tend to differ so greatly, and also from country to country policy is different.. But overall I think we have to be guided by our individual bariatric team. I for one am glad that it is one less tablet that I have to take on a daily basis, and I really don't miss them at all...

ive been on them for a few years and i dont have any side affects

Ohoo I have been on Lanzoprosil for 2yrs, did'nt know about side effects I was told I would be on them for life, getting worried know

We are all different and react differently to meds. These side effects might be rare - all I know is that I personally trust my GP implicitly and will follow his advice except when I know better ;)

Back