• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

LOU1973: I'm back from my breast lift

Lou1973

Firstly a bit about me.

I got to my lowest weight 2 years ago and boy I hated my body - skin hanging everywhere - apron around tummy, bingo wings, dropping skin between my legs and drooping boobs - in a weird way I had less confidence in my body at 10st than I did at 16 and a half stone - I looked great in clothes but I found myself avoiding intimate situations with men because i didn't want to have to "warn" them prior to seeing me naked that I looked like a 90 year old woman and I definately felt they needed warning rather than just discovering it for themselves!! This is going to sound weird but when I was dating someone and I was overweight they could see from what I was wearing clothes what to expect - the different when I was thin was that they had no warning of what to expect - I looked like I had a great body and I hate to think of the shock they would have got if I hadn't prewarned them.

The consequence of this was that I lost my confidence in dating situations, didn't take care of this body that I hated and gradually the weight crept back on - nowhere near the 16 and a half of my heaviest weight but enough for the loose skin to no longer be quite as loose.

A couple of months ago I had a serious discussion with myself and decided I needed to lose the weight that had crept on and that I would reward myself with cosmetic surgery mid december to deal with the physological (sp?) issues from last time.

So for the last 2 months I've been as good as gold and yesterday i had an appt with the Harley Medical group.

I thought I'd start this thread as a diary to track my progress but also to help anyone else considering cosmetic surgery post weight lose.

My appointment was with the nurse yesterday but by a huge and fab coincidence the surgeon was also at the clinic that day and when she chatted to me and realised I was ready for the next step of meeting the surgeon she introduced us and I had the surgeon consultation at the same time.

I went in wanting three procedures all at the same time - a tummy tuck, an arm lift and a thigh lift.

The surgeon did not seem keen on the arm lift - although he agreed i had very unsightly arms he showed me pictures of the scars i could expect in a very negative way (I had researched this already) and just didn't inspire confidence in me regarding the procedure.

I mentioned that i wanted all three procedures at the same time and he said he wouldn't do all three together as post tummy tuck I'd need the strength in my arms to help me get around (makes sense).

Next we spoke about the thigh lift which he said he didn't want to do at all - he said that it is a very unhygenic surgery (think where the wound is) and that the scars are very unsightly and theres a high risk of them not healing properly and that he didn't want to do it.

Was starting to get a bit depressed. Then we started talking about the tummy tuck. Finally i started to get some hope - I showed him my tummy and he said I was the perfect candidiate for a tummy tuck and he was sure I would be delighted by the results - my stretch marks are all under my belly button and he said this was the bit that gets cut away. He explained the procedure for me and explained he would be happy to perform this on me. He ran through the possible risks and complications but really inspired confidence in me. He also showed me some before and after photos which looked great and told me he could perform lipo on the stubborn bit of fat above my waist that just never shifts.

The nurse left to grab his diary whilst we chatted. In a weird way I feel quite reassured that he didn't want to do two of the three procedures - he could easily have done all three and taken my money but I got the feeling he only did the ones that he was comfortable with despite the fact they would earn less money in the end.

So by the end of my hour consultation I had a date for my tummy tuck (and lipo) of 9th Dec and I'd paid my deposit.

It's costing close on 6k and I'll be in hospital for 2 nights but I'm really excited.

The date is great for me as 9th Dec is the first day of my holiday - I have 9 working days off (so until 22nd Dec) and then I can work from home from 22nd Dec until 2nd Jan so I don't even have to go back into the office until 5th Jan which is practically a full month to recover. Of course I have xmas in between when I'll be going to the family but that's 10 days after the op so by then I should have my mobility back and it's a great excuse not to do too much over xmas ;-)

I haven't totally given up on the arm/thigh lift and possible breast surgery but I now accept I'll have to have them at a different time if at all - and with a different surgeon because he didn't inspire confidence so tomorrow I'm off to meet the people at transform to chat to them about that surgery - I'm thinking early Feb for an arm lift and breast surgery (if they will do them both together) I'll also chat to them about the thigh lift but he has put me off quite a bit

So that's my story to date - in 2 weeks and 6 days time I'll be at the hospital ready to have the first procedure in regaining confidence in my body.

As you'll see from my ticker i still have a bit of weight to lose but it's such a small amount that the surgeon is happy that if I lose a little post op it wont be a problem in terms of getting more loose skin.

Nearer the time and pre and post op I'll put up some photos

Last edited:
How great for you so well planned regarding the time off. Sounds like it was meant to be. Read a few things about T.T. all of very inspiring,Will follow your posts and thoughts with great interest.
Good luck with remaining pounds.
I am going in for the Gastric Ballon as a day patient on the 29th November(sat) not planning to take any time of work, but got 2 easy days on the following Monday and Tuesday after the procedure. If i do feel really grotty may ring in sick which i never do normally.
Well done for going for it, what a differnce to your mind and body in 2009.Ava

Lou1973, I am so pleased to see that you are getting what you want. I am desperately hoping to be in your position very soon. I'd have a tt tomorrow if i had the money to go private. Cant wait to see your b&a pics.

Good luck x

I can totally relate to your story re: having less body confidence since losing the weight, although I'm married and didn't have to warn my husband I still feel I look worse naked now than I did before I lost the weight.

Good luck hun, I'm hoping to have a T.T next year, so will be very interested to hear your story and see your before and after pics. Wow what a fab Xmas pressie to yourself a nice flat tummy. Good for you, you deserve it after losing your weight.

thanks everyone and best of luck thisisit - having read everyones stories on here I know you'll be fine and starting on a life changing experience.

crikey isn't the time going quickly? In a weeks time I'll just be a weekend away from my tt - ekks

Today I went for my pre op test - MRSA test and blood tests - and will know on tuesday if everything is fine - basically if I don't hear by Tuesday I'm all systems go and they will send me my operation time.

Have no nerves at all during the day but did have a weird dream last night that they took the bandages off and I saw no difference in my tummy - I guess it's bound to be going around in my subconcious.

Next week is a little mad with work and social stuff but I guess that could be a good thing as there will be no time to dwell on it and next weekend will be the mad rush of getting everything ready for hospital, work handover notes, and cleaning the house etc for when i get home

One thing did come out of the pre op meeting - I have to give up smoking (like it's that easy!!) so am going to cut down over the next few days and a few days pre op it's nicotine patches all the way. If I can last for a few days pre op and the 3 days in hospital maybe I can give up altogether?

Bit peeved that they only told me after i've paid my money that they could refuse to do it if they smell smoke on me at the hospital - guess i'll be re washing all my hospital stuff prior to going in as well!!

Diet is still going well (although I ate carbs on wednesday at a training course) I'm going to stick to it for another 10 days to get off a couple more pounds and then go back on it post op for a few weeks as high protein helps you mend quicker and I'd like to have a little room at xmas for some carbs (roast potatoes - mmm)

Good luck lou, hope the smoking doesn't become an issue and i shall be thinking of you on the 9th..... I've been granted a tt on the nhs, just waiting for my date now.

Keep us informed of your healing process.... and any pre-op/post-op tips would be appreciated. xxxx

Lou - I'm 9 days post TT and Lipo and I have to say it hasn't been anywhere as bad as I expected. Pain has been manageable and up and walking quite comfortably. Still very tired but had to have quite a wide TT because of where the fat and skin sat - scar from hip to hip. Strange that I looked at myself today and can really see the difference in my stretch marks (lots less visible) and cannot believe that I have no apron. It surprises me every time. Like you, I was worried that I wouldn't see the difference but you really will. I'm still very swollen but even if I stayed like I am today I'd say it was worth it. Lots and lots of luck with it, I really think you'll look back and think it's one of the best decisions you made. Let us know how you get on. Hils xx

Hi Lou honey! Thanks for your comments on my pics this morning. Made my day! ;)

Your story is so touching. I'm so happy for you that you took the plunge and decided to go for it. You'll not regret it babe. And as Hills says, just to get rid of the apron, even if the current swelling didn't ever go away just makes it all so worth it.

Which is proof that we are not vain and that we really saw our apron of skin as a disfigurement. We accept we'll never have magazine cover perfect tums. For me it's about not feeling like a 90 year old woman in my early 30s.

And just think... you'll be referring to yours in past tense soon too! ;) Not long now hun! I'm really excited for you babe!
xx

Thanks Hils and Poppypoo - well a week today I'll be going to bed early ready to get up early for the op - if today is anything to go by this week is going to fly by.

I really appreciate your comments and candor and am so looking forward to sharing my story with you

Thanks for the healing wounds link Poppy - i'll be shopping for that tomorrow

Well I heard from the hospital today and my blood tests were all fine so they have confirmed my admission time as 11.30 on 9th December.

We are all systems go....

Well I heard from the hospital today and my blood tests were all fine so they have confirmed my admission time as 11.30 on 9th December.

We are all systems go....

Ahhhh that's brilliant hun! Will be thinking of you on the day and wishing you a speedy and comfortable recovery. So excited for you! So excited for me still! Ooooh the excitement is too much! :D
xx

Good Luck for tomorrow Lou. I hope everything goes well, would love to see your b&a pics when you're feeling up to it. I shall be thinking of you at 11.30 xx

thks so much - starting to get a little nervous now but still more excited than nervous.

Good luck for tomorrow hun. Will be thinking of you. Here's to your fab new tum! :)
xx

good luck for tomorrow!
will be thinking of you :)

Good luck for tomorrow - will be thinking of you :) xxx

Thinking of you today chick and hoping for a speedy recovery for you. By the time you read this you'll be over the worst part of it. If there's any informal advice you need post-op, you know where I am. :)
xx

Back